• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi-Point JHP .45

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

Okay guys, I know I'm gonna get some flaming on my choice of weapon, and quite a few people steering me towards a "better" gun. I'm not expecting any Hi-Point love, my thread on BayouShooter showed me that. All of that aside, I believe that the Hi-Point guns are great guns. They're just heavy and cheap. Does that inherently make it bad? I've seen people put 50 rounds of ammo through one with no problem. They are finicky about what you feed them, yes. I'm going to quote a reply I got at BS; "Go get yourself a real gun, and throw out that saturday night POS." Now that my ranting is done. What do you guys think?

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Think about it like this.

Hi-Points are, and this is subjective, not aesthetically pleasing firearms. OCers do have tendencies to factor in the aesthetic qualities of a firearm when choosing an EDC

It is not a firearm that I would personally carry for SD, not bashing, its a great range gun, its got a killer warranty and its not the most unreliable gun in the world. My CZ 52jams more then any Hi-Point I've ever fired. (although that was due to a batch of out of spec milsurp ammo)

Although some may prefer to carry a SAA, some like Glocks, and others just have to have their AR pistols, the most important thing to remember is to carry the best you can afford. Its your life or your family's life that may be on the line.

Carry what you know, what you can count on and what you can reliably use.

If thats Hi-Point then so be it, but don't forget theres a whole new world of other pistols out there you haven't even touched yet.

Nikki_Black

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
Think about it like this.

Hi-Points are, and this is subjective, not aesthetically pleasing firearms. OCers do have tendencies to factor in the aesthetic qualities of a firearm when choosing an EDC

It is not a firearm that I would personally carry for SD, not bashing, its a great range gun, its got a killer warranty and its not the most unreliable gun in the world. My CZ 52 jams more then any Hi-Point I've ever fired. (although that was due to a batch of out of spec milsurp ammo)

Although some may prefer to carry a SAA, some like Glocks, and others just have to have their AR pistols, the most important thing to remember is to carry the best you can afford. Its your life or your family's life that may be on the line.

Carry what you know, what you can count on and what you can reliably use.

If thats Hi-Point then so be it, but don't forget theres a whole new world of other pistols out there you haven't even touched yet.

Thank you for your post. I know that there is a big world of guns out there. If I had the money, I'd try every single one. I did have a XD45, but I sold it to a family member to pay for bills that I had to pay, otherwise I'd be on the street. I currently don't have a full time job because I spend most of my time taking care of my grandmother, but I'd still like something to protect myself with. If it has to be a Hi-Point, so be it. I do currently have my eye on a SA 1911, but a Hi-Point is all I can afford. I have read a lot of spectacular reviews on HP's, more so than bad reviews. Like you said though, in the end; it's about what I trust to be reliable and count on to protect myself with.

On a side note, looks don't matter to me. Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder.

ecocks

imported post

No flaming from me.

I owna Hi-Point 9mm carbine and find it to be rugged and reliable. Great for plinking and positioned for static home defense. Would I buy a HP pistol for a carry piece? Probably not.

While it's a wepon, not a fashion accessory, I do look at the ergonomics and comfort in the carry weapons I select. I carry SOB at about the 5:00 position and the CZ's are metal, not plastic so comfort is a big issue for me. So far, my CZ-40 or the slightly smaller CZ-06 (also in .40) are my preferred carry weapons. I also have a Bersa .380 when warmer weather calls for a pocket carryand an OWB leather holster for it when asmaller weapon seems called for with a suit or dressup days (rare for me this last year). When OC'ing (about 60% of the time these days)I carry the S&W M&P in .40 due to the comfort/security I getwith their full-retention holster.

I have some other options but these are the guns I trust the most outside the house. I keep a Sigma 9mm for general range practice and expect to get another one this summer in .40. A Sig and a couple of other weapons are around the house in places that are deemed appropriate.

So get and use what YOU are comfortable with. Practice and know your weapons strengths, weaknesses and limitations. If you get ina jam, YOU have to deal with it, not the police or the flamers will be there to get it done. The heck with them!

The Wolfhound

imported post

We have had quite a discussion of them on the Bersatalk forum. Universally decried as damned ugly but reliable though heavy. Great warranty. The reputation is that they go bang when you want them to. At a minimum, that is what you ask from a firearm.

Nikki_Black

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
We have had quite a discussion of them on the Bersatalk forum.  Universally decried as damned ugly but reliable though heavy.  Great warranty.  The reputation is that they go bang when you want them to.  At a minimum, that is what you ask from a firearm.

Thank you, Wolfhound.
That is exactly what I look for in a carry weapon.
As I have stated, I've owned "better" firearms and loved them. I have also owned a Hi-Point before, and loved it. Nearly 1000 rounds through that gun with no malfunctions.

With all of the support I'm getting on here, I think that shows that the average person on this site is more intelligent than most of the people on BayouShooter.
My topic on that site turned into a flame war.

MatieA

imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
Okay guys, I know I'm gonna get some flaming on my choice of weapon, and quite a few people steering me towards a "better" gun. I'm not expecting any Hi-Point love, my thread on BayouShooter showed me that. All of that aside, I believe that the Hi-Point guns are great guns. They're just heavy and cheap. Does that inherently make it bad? I've seen people put 50 rounds of ammo through one with no problem. They are finicky about what you feed them, yes. I'm going to quote a reply I got at BS; "Go get yourself a real gun, and throw out that saturday night POS." Now that my ranting is done. What do you guys think?
With some ammo if you actually measure it, you'll find that it is not seated as deep as it should be, I have taken a box of such ammo and ran it through my press and it fed beautifully. I no longer buy this ammo, but I was able to shoot it.

Nikki_Black

imported post

The only time I ever had a problem with the Hi-Point I used to own is that it didn't like hollow points. Other than that it was flawless up until around the 900th round. Around that time, the firing pin broke. I just called the customer service on a Tuesday and they sent me a new firing pin that arrived Wednesday afternoon. Free of charge. They even included a note with it. It basically said, "We're sorry for the inconvenience Mr.Simpson, we have sent you a new firing pin assembly. We hope that you continue to enjoy your handgun." Gotta love that lifetime, no questions asked warranty. It covers everything, even normal wear and tear.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

i had a hi-point .40 that wouldnt feed or wouldnt eject the casing all the way about once every mag. i put 200 rounds through it hoping it would improve with age. it didnt, so i sold it and put the money towards an XD 40 which i've never had a single problem with.

so my experience was bad. but my friend that sorta got me interested in actually owning guns CC'd a hi-point and had never had a problem with it.

i'm thinking it's like Taurus. some people have issue after issue, some have flawless guns. but that's the same with everything from cars to cell phones to guns. it's called Brand Loyalty. but make sure you range-prove any gun before you bet your life on it.

Nikki_Black

imported post

You can count on that, my friend. I always test out any carry weapon before I trust my life to it. Even if it's NIB just from the factory floor. You can never be too careful. At least with Hi-Point, I can get part after part until the gun functions flawlessly. For free, or very close to it.

hp-hobo

imported post

I can honestly say that I probably have more personal experience with Hi-Points than the average room full of gun owners. I have a CF-380, 2 C-9's, a JCP, a JHP, a 995 and a 995TS. One of the C-9's has over 20,000 (twenty thousand) rounds through it and all of them have at least 5,000 rounds through them except the 380 which has about 2,500. 99% of those rounds were fired by me. I carry two of them regularly.

I love my Hi-Points, sothese comments are not from your typical HP hating gun snob who's never touched one. I do not claim to be an expert, but I have lots of hands on experience and I see two potential problems with a JHP for a carry gun. They may not be problems for you at all.

1. Without question the JHP is a large heavy gun. If you have to conceal it, it's not easy. And if you're not a fairly large and/or strong person, you'll probably get tired of carrying it in short order. A gun that isn't carried is no better than no gun at all.

2. Regardless of the fact that it has a manual safety, Hi-Points including your JHP are not a good choice for carrying with a round in the chamber. There are people who do it but the guys I knowthat havethe most experience with them, including myself, don't (usually). And in a self defense situation, the time spent racking the slide may make the difference between protecting yourself or not.

At any rate welcome to the Hi-Point family. If you have any specific HP questions feel free to PM me.

Nikki_Black

imported post

Thank you very much guys, especially you, hp-hobo.
I know that the JHP is a rock of a gun, large, bulky, and heavy. I'm not the biggest or strongest guy, but if there's one thing the National Guard taught me, it's better to carry around a large, heavy weapon than to not have one at all. I know a thing or two about carrying a large, heavy weapon around. The 240 Bravo is large, and it gets really heavy after a 10 mile ruck march. That being said, I do plan on using a drop leg holster for my JHP because it's so freakin heavy.

Abraxxas

imported post

I say buy what you can afford and practice with it, money is tight for most of us these days. Any gun is better than none, they have a great warranty and down the road you can always sell it and get something elsewhen the funds allow or keep it in the night stand as anextra. One way to look at it is this, if the day comes when you need a gun to protect yourself or your family, that HP is going to work a lot better than the pile ofcash you're slowly adding to while you save upfor the Springfield. I say screw what others think and get what you can for now, buy some ammo to practice/break it in with and sleep easy at night knowing its there if you need it.

Nikki_Black

imported post

Thank you, Abraxxas. And everybody else who has posted. You guys are great. Though I should have said in my first post that I don't care what anybody says (flames and such), I will still be buying a Hi-Point because it's all I can afford for now. You are right, Abraxxas. The Hi-Point in my hand if I need a gun is a whole lot better than the money being saved up for a Springfield.