• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi-Point JHP .45

AbNo

imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
I'm not expecting any Hi-Point love, What do you guys think?
Huh, I thought I'd posted this, I guess I forgot to hit Send.... :uhoh:

I have a 995 Carbine. Love it to almost no end. So does a friend of mine who bought one for herself last year. Ugly, accurate, and reliable. That's a HiPoint. :D

I've used a friend-of-a-friend's C9. It's ugly, top-heavy, this one rattled when you shook it, but it went bang everytime with NO problems, AND it put the rounds where you wanted them.

Two out of five of those are important, the rest is just pretty and make-up. If you're happy with it, or it's all you can pay for, I'll not knock you for it.

Well, maybe in jest. :)

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I have been teaching CCW in Arizona for over 15 years now, and have seen a few High Points come through the class. They have all worked, and they shoot pretty close to point of aim.

As many have stated, any gun is better than no gun. Good luck on improving your financial situation. I know what it is like to have family that needs care. Thank you for taking care of your grandmother.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

Indeed. Thank you, friend. My grandma pretty much raised me, and if taking care of her when she needs it is something I have to do, I'll do it without a problem. No matter what impact it has on other things I have to do. Family is the most important thing in the world to me, everything else can wait.

230therapy

imported post

OH! There's a fire in my house and it's blocking the exit!!! Guess what! I bought the absolutely cheapest fire extinguisher available. I'm fully confident my plastic, cheap-o tool will save my life.

So, yes, your gun is a POS.

What really matters is whether or not you have confidence that it will function at a critical moment and will survive training and practice. If it gets through thousands of rounds and you are confident with it, then carry it. If it malfunctions, then perhaps you should rethink your choice.

goalseter88

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Nikki_Black wrote:
heliopolissolutions wrote:
What exactly would your question be?

Sorry, I wasn't really clear on my actual question.
I was just wondering what people's opinions are on Hi-Point, and my choice of using one as a OC weapon.
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5010941/

could not resist
i never had a hi point but all 3 buddies who had them got 1000s of rounds threw them and not one jam. so i recomend a hi point any day for someone who cant afford an more expensive one. but i do have an xd40 and do like it. i heard you saving up for a SA 1911. wouldnt recomend a 1911 but still a good gun.

and i quoted this for one question on the video. i dont know mucha bout kimbler but was that a joke about them or is there a known problem with them? i always heard they are very expensive but reliable/accurate. just wondered if he was serious or not on that.

marrero jeff

imported post

where does this nonsense of "hi points are good guns that go bang every time" come from? they are terrible weapons, i understand it may be all you can afford, but lets not kid ourselves. hi-points are definitely the bottom of the barrel when it comes to firearms. they are anything but reliable, unergonomic, and ridiculously heavy. their warranty is so good because they know their guns are crap and will break/jam constantly.

George Mann

imported post

marrero jeff,

You sure seem content to bash this companies products.

I actually own a Hi-Point (JHP), and find it to be the most accurate and reliable pistol in my rather large collection of guns!

PavePusher

imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
The Wolfhound wrote:
We have had quite a discussion of them on the Bersatalk forum. Universally decried as damned ugly but reliable though heavy. Great warranty. The reputation is that they go bang when you want them to. At a minimum, that is what you ask from a firearm.

Thank you, Wolfhound.
That is exactly what I look for in a carry weapon.
As I have stated, I've owned "better" firearms and loved them. I have also owned a Hi-Point before, and loved it. Nearly 1000 rounds through that gun with no malfunctions.

With all of the support I'm getting on here, I think that shows that the average person on this site is more intelligent than most of the people on BayouShooter.
My topic on that site turned into a flame war.

Well, if it'll make you feel better...

Hi-Points are the heaviest, ugliest, nastiest firearm you could possibly buy. They will break if you breath on them, scare dogs and cause strong men to faint (mostly from the exertion of carrying them...). They will cause you nothing but the most painful suffering and probably kill you in your sleep. The best way you can employ them in self-defense is to throw them like a poorly-shaped brick and hope they land near enough to the criminal to act like Kryptonite on Superman. The only alternative is tobrandish it in the attacker's face like the head of a Gorgon, and pray that it has a similar effect.

Having said all that, I'm buying or ordering one this weekend. :p

George Mann

imported post

Ruger wrote:
George Mann wrote:
marrero jeff,

You sure seem content to bash this companies products.
b/c marrero jeff seems to think that anything that isn't a HK must be crap :p
Well,

A good HK makes most guns like Saturday night specials, but,

I use to carry an HK MK23, and believe it or not, my Hi-Point JHP is the only gun that I have owned or shot that has truly come close to matching the accuracy and reliability that this benchmark handgun provides.

Now, the smaller Hi-Points are known to have a few issues out of the box. but they are most often easily corrected once you have a grasp on what causes them to fail.

M

McX

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Nikki_Black wrote:
The Wolfhound wrote:
We have had quite a discussion of them on the Bersatalk forum. Universally decried as damned ugly but reliable though heavy. Great warranty. The reputation is that they go bang when you want them to. At a minimum, that is what you ask from a firearm.

Thank you, Wolfhound.
That is exactly what I look for in a carry weapon.
As I have stated, I've owned "better" firearms and loved them. I have also owned a Hi-Point before, and loved it. Nearly 1000 rounds through that gun with no malfunctions.

With all of the support I'm getting on here, I think that shows that the average person on this site is more intelligent than most of the people on BayouShooter.
My topic on that site turned into a flame war.

Well, if it'll make you feel better...

Hi-Points are the heaviest, ugliest, nastiest firearm you could possibly buy. They will break if you breath on them, scare dogs and cause strong men to faint (mostly from the exertion of carrying them...). They will cause you nothing but the most painful suffering and probably kill you in your sleep. The best way you can employ them in self-defense is to throw them like a poorly-shaped brick and hope they land near enough to the criminal to act like Kryptonite on Superman. The only alternative is tobrandish it in the attacker's face like the head of a Gorgon, and pray that it has a similar effect.

Having said all that, I'm buying or ordering one this weekend. :p

but then again for bucks spent. you'll still sleep better at night!

jahwarrior

imported post

the hell with what anyone else thinks about what gun you carry. if you can find a holster for a Hi Point .45ACP, and are willing to lug around all that weight, by all means, carry that sucker. believe me, when you're faced off with some crackhead gangbanger on the street at 2AM, the last thing you should be worried about is if some gun snob is sneering at you for your choice of firearms. Hi Points are cheap, and ugly, but are accurate, and reliable. when you run out of ammo, you can beat someone to death with one. they havea lifetime warranty, and are 100% made in the USA. you can't beat that.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
the hell with what anyone else thinks about what gun you carry. if you can find a holster for a Hi Point  .45ACP, and are willing to lug around all that weight, by all means, carry that sucker. believe me, when you're faced off with some crackhead gangbanger on the street at 2AM, the last thing you should be worried about is if some gun snob is sneering at you for your choice of firearms. Hi Points are cheap, and ugly, but are accurate, and reliable. when you run out of ammo, you can beat someone to death with one. they have a lifetime warranty, and are 100% made in the USA. you can't beat that.
Haha. I know all about carrying around a heavy gun. I carry a S&W 629 .44 magnum with a 6 inch barrel instead of my Hi-Point. Now that's a heavy gun!