• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

O/C and the car question

Django

imported post

If one does not have a concealed permit and gets into a motor vehicle I understand that the firearm must be unloaded but does the firearm it's self have to go into the glove compartment? The law says "unloaded and not concealed". As long as the gun is visible and unloaded this would not go against any Washington State laws... Right?

In other words can I keep it holstered and unloaded in the car as long as it's not concealed?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Unloaded is the main thing.

The gun can be in the passenger compartment and ammo can be right next to it. It only has to be concealed if you leave it unattended in the car (in which case it needs to be locked as well)

You can unload, re-holster and OC in your vehicle, just don't conceal it "on your person" if you don't have a CPL.

It can be concealed (out of sight) in the vehicle (case, console, etc) while you are in the car, but it doesn't have to be.

kenshin

imported post

kchau wrote:
i think the common thing is, gun in the trunk, unloaded, ammo up in the front.
I don't know where everybody gets this idea, not to pick on you kchau, just using you as an example. It' seems that every other person I talk to seems to think you have to have the gun in the trunk. This is not the case, nor has it ever been in Washington that I'm aware of. It can be anywhere in the vehicle as long as it's not loaded or concealed on your person (unless you have a CPL, in which case all of this is irrelevant).

Someone on the forum once jokingly said you could duct tape it to your forehead if you wanted. Which is true, not very practical, but funny none the less.

amzbrady

imported post

If you have your CPL, can you put your firearm on the dash, under the seat, in the glove box, hanging from the rear view mirror, in the door pocket? Does it have to be on you and concealed or can it be exposed and not on you physically and loaded? Does this change if there are people in the vehicle with you, with out cpl's, or who are underaged? I'm not talking about if you leave the vehicle. Although if you are pulled over and asked to step out of the vehicle some of these instances could possess a problem.

Django

imported post

So could I have an
unloaded handgun, holsyetred, in sight and be legal with out conceded permit? Or would that be "on the person" and elegant?

Django

imported post

So could I have an
unloaded handgun, holsyetred, in sight and be legal with out conceded permit? Or would that be "on the person" and elegant?

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Django wrote:
So could I have an
As long as you're 21 or older and not prohibited from carrying you can open carry an unloaded gun in the car. And yes, it can be holstered at your side.

The easiest thing to do though, is to just get your CPL and avoid the hassle.

killchain

imported post

kenshin wrote:
kchau wrote:
i think the common thing is, gun in the trunk, unloaded, ammo up in the front.

Someone on the forum once jokingly said you could duct tape it to your forehead if you wanted. Which is true, not very practical, but funny none the less.
I should patent a forehead bandana holster! It could be like those MP3 player sunglasses, only a pistol.