Thread: Open Carry on a boat

Post imported post

Can you open carry a firearm on a boat in Ohio? If you can, do you need a CCW?

Post imported post

this has been touched on to an extent in this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/37205.html

basically, the definition of "motor vehicle" as used in the provision which requires a CCL to carry in a car does not apply to aircraft or watercraft. so yes, open carry in a boat is, as far as I understand it, legal, even without a CCL.*

cheers,

-poddus

*IANAL

Post imported post

I would go as far to say that you must be the captain of the vessel and/or have permission from the captain. Another great thing that all the laws in ohio were preempted seeing that state/city parks were CPZ for a longtime.

Post imported post

Without knowing the laws concerning maritime travel in depth, you're going to want to speak with someone who knows the law before you do. There are some instances where, as I understand it, the state laws are superceded by federal laws concerning the carrying of firearms on vessels in national and international waters. Lake Erie, for example, can be construed as a national and international waterway for maritime travel.

Post imported post

For many years a handgun has been a "distress signal" in both US Maritime law and in international law. That doesn't mean that LEO won't give you a boat load of BS when you stop and get inspected. Remember when you leave the "Harbor Patrol" for inspection,the next boat will be the USCG and after that it could be the Sheriff's Patrol Boat and then the ODNR, what, did I forget INS and then the Border Patrol.

All these guys are waiting in line to inspect you, Yes, they each can do it one after another. If I was you I'd sell my boat.