• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on a boat

poddus

imported post

this has been touched on to an extent in this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/37205.html

basically, the definition of "motor vehicle" as used in the provision which requires a CCL to carry in a car does not apply to aircraft or watercraft. so yes, open carry in a boat is, as far as I understand it, legal, even without a CCL.*

cheers,

-poddus

*IANAL

Bustelo5%

imported post

I would go as far to say that you must be the captain of the vessel and/or have permission from the captain. Another great thing that all the laws in ohio were preempted seeing that state/city parks were CPZ for a longtime.

DMWyatt

imported post

Without knowing the laws concerning maritime travel in depth, you're going to want to speak with someone who knows the law before you do. There are some instances where, as I understand it, the state laws are superceded by federal laws concerning the carrying of firearms on vessels in national and international waters. Lake Erie, for example, can be construed as a national and international waterway for maritime travel.

JSlack7851

imported post

For many years a handgun has been a "distress signal" in both US Maritime law and in international law. That doesn't mean that LEO won't give you a boat load of BS when you stop and get inspected. Remember when you leave the "Harbor Patrol" for inspection,the next boat will be the USCG and after that it could be the Sheriff's Patrol Boat and then the ODNR, what, did I forget INS and then the Border Patrol.

All these guys are waiting in line to inspect you, Yes, they each can do it one after another. If I was you I'd sell my boat.