• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registering Used Handguns?

B

bgreene89

imported post

Okay, I have a question are you required to register used handguns in the state of North Carolina? Even if they are already registered too a person before you and you have know them for a number of years? And they don't have a criminal background? If so and you don't register the handgun who and how will anyone find out? Because people do it everyday in the Carolina Bargain Trader Magazine. Just Wondering?

KyleKatern

imported post

Unless the seller lives in Durham, the gun was never 'registered', and only a buyer in Durham has any way TO register a gun. When you get a permit to purchase a pistol, and then go buy a gun, no paperwork goes to the state to register the gun to you. IF you purchase form a DEALER, then yes, there is a federal form used to document the transaction, but that is not a registration, and is primarily designed for record keeping at the gun store that sold it. Thus if a gun is recalled, or the like, the store can call you. I can, with a pistol purchase permit, or my NC Concealed Handgun Permit, go out and legally buy a handgun form a private seller in state with no paperwork. I DO normally get a bill of sale, and if I do not know the person or if it seems too good to be true, I may have a friend runt he serial number, to make sure I do not end up with a gun with a bad history.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I second KyleKatern's response and will add, just so we're clear, to be legal, make sure you obtain one or more purchase permits from your county's Sheriff office. This permit must be given to the seller and the seller is required to keep that permit forever. Whether or not you work out a bill of sale for records is your prerogative but it is highly suggested. If you have a concealed carry permit I believe the information of that permit must be kept by the seller and/or noted on the bill of sale. Remember, this is all for handguns. When it comes to long barrel guns such as rifles and shotguns, you don't have to do any paperwork for private sales, except a bill of sale if you want that. And again, except in Durham county, there is NO gun registration in North Carolina.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

This permit must be given to the seller and the seller is required to keep that permit forever

Can you give statute? I doubt the law can require anyone to keep anything "forever" (unconstitutionally vague?). The statute I can find states that the purchaser, recipient, etc. must get a PPP from the sheriff. There is no statutory requirement that I can find about the seller keeping it "forever".

Forever is a long time (<:

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also etween private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a)

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
This permit must be given to the seller and the seller is required to keep that permit forever

Can you give statute?  I doubt the law can require anyone to keep anything "forever" (unconstitutionally vague?).  The statute I can find states that the purchaser, recipient, etc.  must get a PPP from the sheriff.  There is no statutory requirement that I can find about the seller keeping it "forever".

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also  etween private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a)

You are exactly right! I misread 14-402 and the State AG's comment on how it has been interpreted.

A long time ago, I misread

In addition, this State law has been interpreted to require that a pistol permit be
obtained by the receiver of a handgun when such person inherits a pistol as a result of the
death of another person. The permit should be given to and retained by the seller or donor
of the handgun. In such a case, the permit should be given to the executor or receiver of
the estate of the deceased person. If the purchaser or receiver uses a North Carolina- issued
concealed carry permit for the transfer, the seller should reference such permit on a bill of
sale.

I stand corrected.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:

Can you give statute?  I doubt the law can require anyone to keep anything "forever" (unconstitutionally vague?).  The statute I can find states that the purchaser, recipient, etc.  must get a PPP from the sheriff.  There is no statutory requirement that I can find about the seller keeping it "forever".

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also  etween private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a)

You are exactly right! I misread 14-402 and the State AG's comment on how it has been interpreted.

A long time ago, I misread

In addition, this State law has been interpreted to require that a pistol permit be
obtained by the receiver of a handgun when such person inherits a pistol as a result of the
death of another person. The permit should be given to and retained by the seller or donor
of the handgun. In such a case, the permit should be given to the executor or receiver of
the estate of the deceased person. If the purchaser or receiver uses a North Carolina- issued
concealed carry permit for the transfer, the seller should reference such permit on a bill of
sale.

I stand corrected.