Thread: Leonard Embody's

Post imported post

we all remember the person that was joging down the road with a hand gun in his hand

here is the link to the story http://www.wsmv.com/news/22834140/detail.html

"I'm a private person," Embody said. "I didn't want to be in the spotlight. I didn't want my name in the news reports."

Embody's name and story have been appeared in news reports and online blogs for months. He was thrust into the media spotlight last December when he carried an AK-47-type pistol into Radnor Lake State Park.

"It wasn't modified in any way except for a sling, and I had painted the tip orange on it," he said.

His gun-carry permit was current and the gun was legal, but park rangers stopped Embody and detained him for three hours. He was later released with no charges filed.

The next month, he made headlines again when he took his handgun on a walk down Belle Meade Boulevard, in full compliance with the law.

"The only way you can carry the handgun is to carry it openly in your hand," Embody said.

Once again, he was stopped, searched, and released.

Since then, Embody has filed a federal lawsuit against the Radnor Lake State Park ranger. And on Friday, he received a certified letter from the Tennessee Department of Safety stating his gun carry permit was revoked.

"There was a material likelihood that I was a risk to the public," Embody said of the letter.

Embody doesn't consider himself an gun rights activist; but he strongly believes gun legislation is flawed, often outdated, vague, or contradictory.

"I'd like to see that here in Tennessee we have the right to bear arms and that right shall not be infringed," he said.

Regardless of his thoughts on gun rights, his run-ins with authorities, or the talk around town, Embody said he's not trying to make a political statement.

"I always carry a gun. I usually carry open carry. I believe open carry is a deterrent to crime," he said.

Embody will appeal the decision to revoke his gun carry permit.

Attorneys on both sides of his lawsuit are scheduled to meet in April.

Banned

Post imported post

I thought this site advocated responsible OC. To me, that means holstering your gun until and unless a specific threat arises.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Isn't that kwikrnu?

We've already been all over this like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm.

Ya'll leave that boy alone.

Post imported post

If this quote is accurate--and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even though he's an idiot--

"I'm a private person," Embody said. "I didn't want to be in the spotlight. I didn't want my name in the news reports."

Then it bears repeating simply to show his hypocrisy. Because he has admitted on here that his actions have been intended to draw attention.

Post imported post

Still, do they have a right to remove his permit because of political reasons?

Tennessee is a "Shall Issue" state:
    http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm

Post imported post

The guy has obviously got too much time on his hands....

Banned

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    I thought this site advocated responsible OC. To me, that means holstering your gun until and unless a specific threat arises.
    A holstered handgun is illegal in Belle Meade.

Belle Meade city ordinance 11-602

TCA 39-17-1314(a)

Banned

Post imported post

Pace wrote:
    Still, do they have a right to remove his permit because of political reasons?

Tennessee is a "Shall Issue" state:
    http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm

No they don't, yet it appears that it really doesn't matter. Belle Meade sent a letter to the TNDPS saying I was unsafe witgh a firearm. To my knowledge they did not explain the law nor did they state how I was "unsafe".

Banned

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    If this quote is accurate--and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even though he's an idiot--

Then it bears repeating simply to show his hypocrisy. Because he has admitted on here that his actions have been intended to draw attention.
    Like I have said I would rather be left alone. Why is it so hard for cops to leave law abiding citizens alone? It has gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

examples

they sent out a BOLO on me for not breaking the law and not having a criminal record.

they detain me 3 hours for not breaking any law.

They detain me in Belle Meade even though they knew in advance I was going to be there and that I was not breaking any laws.

They suspend my handgun carry permit even though I broke no laws.

Post imported post

While I didn't necessarily agree with your tactics I do think you should sue to get your permit back. There should be some part of the law where they have to document an imminent threat or some other reason for canceling it. I don't know TN law so get a good lawyer to look into it.

Banned

Post imported post

I stand by my statement. Carrying a gun in your hand is irresponsible OC. If using a holster is against the law, then don't do it, but don't walk around with a gun in your hand.

That's asking for trouble, and trouble you will (and should) get.

JMO. And the O ain't changing.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Lithic! Petrine!

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    he was being responsible,,
    open carrying the only gun legally allowed,,
    carrying in the only way allowed by law,,
    getting unlawfully detained, schooling the cops, not "under arrest", "kept his gun"

Keep up the good work, you should get your cpl back, might take awhile
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    I stand by my statement. Carrying a gun in your hand is irresponsible OC. If using a holster is against the law, then don't do it, but don't walk around with a gun in your hand.

You should research the facts of the situation before forming an opinion, which you apparently haven't done. He was following the letter of the law. If you don't like it, you should attack the law, not the person who followed it.

If all of us acted strictly on others ill informed opinions, none of us would even own a gun because it's the Brady campaign's opinion that we shouldn't. Think about it.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."

Banned

Post imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
    eye95 wrote:

You should research the facts of the situation before forming an opinion, which you apparently haven't done. He was following the letter of the law. If you don't like it, you should attack the law, not the person who followed it.

If all of us acted strictly on others ill informed opinions, none of us would even own a gun because it's the Brady campaign's opinion that we shouldn't. Think about it.
    I am attacking (and will continue to attack) the irresponsibility of what he did--regardless of what the law says. The consequences of what he did were predictable. If he is willing to suffer them (a la Dr. King), more power to him. I just find the bellyaching a bit much.

I did not attack him. However, believe what you will. It doesn't matter to me one whit.

I was aware of the facts--the O remains unchanged.

Have a nice life. I have said what I am going to say and will be moving on.

Post imported post

Have you considered that he might be wanting to bring attention to how ridiculous the OC laws (must be in hand) are in that area in an attempt to affect change.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

How many of these threads do we really want or need? :?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I am attacking (and will continue to attack) the irresponsibility of what he did--regardless of what the law says.
    Spoken just like a dyed in the wool Brady shill.

Post imported post

There has to be a level where we know he's just trying to get attention above and beyond. While we all agree he has the right to do something, isn't there a point that it gets absurd?

Post imported post

Pace wrote:
    There has to be a level where we know he's just trying to get attention above and beyond. While we all agree he has the right to do something, isn't there a point that it gets absurd?

Is there a point where that matters, so long as he is within his rights and the law?

Britney Spears is absurd, but like the rest of us I learn to live with it and move on.