• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leonard Embody's

khicks

imported post

we all remember the person that was joging down the road with a hand gun in his hand

here is the link to the story http://www.wsmv.com/news/22834140/detail.html

"I'm a private person," Embody said. "I didn't want to be in the spotlight. I didn't want my name in the news reports."

Embody's name and story have been appeared in news reports and online blogs for months. He was thrust into the media spotlight last December when he carried an AK-47-type pistol into Radnor Lake State Park.

"It wasn't modified in any way except for a sling, and I had painted the tip orange on it," he said.

His gun-carry permit was current and the gun was legal, but park rangers stopped Embody and detained him for three hours. He was later released with no charges filed.

The next month, he made headlines again when he took his handgun on a walk down Belle Meade Boulevard, in full compliance with the law.

"The only way you can carry the handgun is to carry it openly in your hand," Embody said.

Once again, he was stopped, searched, and released.

Since then, Embody has filed a federal lawsuit against the Radnor Lake State Park ranger. And on Friday, he received a certified letter from the Tennessee Department of Safety stating his gun carry permit was revoked.

"There was a material likelihood that I was a risk to the public," Embody said of the letter.

Embody doesn't consider himself an gun rights activist; but he strongly believes gun legislation is flawed, often outdated, vague, or contradictory.

"I'd like to see that here in Tennessee we have the right to bear arms and that right shall not be infringed," he said.

Regardless of his thoughts on gun rights, his run-ins with authorities, or the talk around town, Embody said he's not trying to make a political statement.

"I always carry a gun. I usually carry open carry. I believe open carry is a deterrent to crime," he said.

Embody will appeal the decision to revoke his gun carry permit.

Attorneys on both sides of his lawsuit are scheduled to meet in April.

eye95

imported post

I thought this site advocated responsible OC. To me, that means holstering your gun until and unless a specific threat arises.

Flyer22

imported post

If this quote is accurate--and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even though he's an idiot--

"I'm a private person," Embody said. "I didn't want to be in the spotlight. I didn't want my name in the news reports."

Then it bears repeating simply to show his hypocrisy. Because he has admitted on here that his actions have been intended to draw attention.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

eye95 wrote:
I thought this site advocated responsible OC. To me, that means holstering your gun until and unless a specific threat arises.

A holstered handgun is illegal in Belle Meade.

Belle Meade city ordinance 11-602

TCA 39-17-1314(a)

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Pace wrote:
Still, do they have a right to remove his permit because of political reasons?

Tennessee is a "Shall Issue" state:
http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm
No they don't, yet it appears that it really doesn't matter. Belle Meade sent a letter to the TNDPS saying I was unsafe witgh a firearm. To my knowledge they did not explain the law nor did they state how I was "unsafe".

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
If this quote is accurate--and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even though he's an idiot--

Then it bears repeating simply to show his hypocrisy. Because he has admitted on here that his actions have been intended to draw attention.

Like I have said I would rather be left alone. Why is it so hard for cops to leave law abiding citizens alone? It has gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

examples

they sent out a BOLO on me for not breaking the law and not having a criminal record.

they detain me 3 hours for not breaking any law.

They detain me in Belle Meade even though they knew in advance I was going to be there and that I was not breaking any laws.

They suspend my handgun carry permit even though I broke no laws.

45acpForMe

imported post

While I didn't necessarily agree with your tactics I do think you should sue to get your permit back. There should be some part of the law where they have to document an imminent threat or some other reason for canceling it. I don't know TN law so get a good lawyer to look into it.

eye95

imported post

I stand by my statement. Carrying a gun in your hand is irresponsible OC. If using a holster is against the law, then don't do it, but don't walk around with a gun in your hand.

That's asking for trouble, and trouble you will (and should) get.

JMO. And the O ain't changing.

1245A Defender

imported post

eye95 wrote:
he was being responsible,,
open carrying the only gun legally allowed,,
carrying in the only way allowed by law,,
getting unlawfully detained, schooling the cops, not "under arrest", "kept his gun"

Keep up the good work, you should get your cpl back, might take awhile

hp-hobo

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I stand by my statement. Carrying a gun in your hand is irresponsible OC. If using a holster is against the law, then don't do it, but don't walk around with a gun in your hand.

You should research the facts of the situation before forming an opinion, which you apparently haven't done. He was following the letter of the law. If you don't like it, you should attack the law, not the person who followed it.

If all of us acted strictly on others ill informed opinions, none of us would even own a gun because it's the Brady campaign's opinion that we shouldn't. Think about it.

eye95

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
eye95 wrote:

You should research the facts of the situation before forming an opinion, which you apparently haven't done. He was following the letter of the law. If you don't like it, you should attack the law, not the person who followed it.

If all of us acted strictly on others ill informed opinions, none of us would even own a gun because it's the Brady campaign's opinion that we shouldn't. Think about it.
I am attacking (and will continue to attack) the irresponsibility of what he did--regardless of what the law says. The consequences of what he did were predictable. If he is willing to suffer them (a la Dr. King), more power to him. I just find the bellyaching a bit much.

I did not attack him. However, believe what you will. It doesn't matter to me one whit.

I was aware of the facts--the O remains unchanged.

Have a nice life. I have said what I am going to say and will be moving on.

t33j

imported post

Have you considered that he might be wanting to bring attention to how ridiculous the OC laws (must be in hand) are in that area in an attempt to affect change.

10A

imported post

I am attacking (and will continue to attack) the irresponsibility of what he did--regardless of what the law says.

Spoken just like a dyed in the wool Brady shill.

Pace

imported post

There has to be a level where we know he's just trying to get attention above and beyond. While we all agree he has the right to do something, isn't there a point that it gets absurd?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pace wrote:
There has to be a level where we know he's just trying to get attention above and beyond. While we all agree he has the right to do something, isn't there a point that it gets absurd?
Is there a point where that matters, so long as he is within his rights and the law?

Britney Spears is absurd, but like the rest of us I learn to live with it and move on.