• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters?

B

bgreene89

imported post

What holsters are considered to be open carry? And what holsters are considered concealed carry? Be sure you specify! And if carrying open carry how much of the gun has to be visible?

Thanks,
Blake

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hi Blake,

Typical holsters can be positioned in such a way that they are concealed or open carry.

An example are belt holsters (such as what many uniformed police use), paddle holsters, in-waistband holsters, and shoulder holsters. If you can hide the gun's presence (TOTALLY) then it is concealed. This can be done by pulling a shirt over the gun and holster, a vest, coat of any type, etc. I have a paddle holster, a belt holster, an in waitband holster and a shoulder holster. Of all of those, the paddle holster is hardest to conceal (or keep concealed) because it is bulky, but it is effective, there is no retention on mine so I don't use it for carry typically in public.

If ANY part of the gun is visible, then it is openly carried. In North Carolina, concealed carry means completely unseen, this does not include imprinting (seeing the shape of a gun or holster through clothing); so if the gun is concealed but I can still see an imprint of any kind it is still considered concealed. If the butt of the gun is visible only for example, that is openly carried. I may get an argument against this but there really is no partially concealed in North Carolina. NC clearly defines a concealed weapon. Anything less than that definition is an openly carried weapon (this is important to know, not just for firearms, but for other weapons that are not allowed to be concealed at all under any circumstance such as stun guns and knives).

Perhaps the only open-carry holster that would typically not be concealable is a drop leg holster (typically seen in use by SWAT-style law enforcement and military), but it can be concealed by means of a long coat.

A holster type that is typically going to be concealed are belly-band holsters. Unless you are shirtless or like showing your belly off, this will automatically be covered up by the shirt, wearing it on the outside will make you look goofy and is perhaps impractical. Other holsters that are completely concealed include waist-fanny packs, those made for going in a coat pocket or pants/shorts pocket (so the gun is not floating around and is "fixed" making drawing more reliable and practical.

You also have ankle holsters which, unless you're wearing something that is above the ankles (or high-waters that ride up when you walk or run), will be concealed. There are also crotch holsters which, yes, go over the pelvic region, and the ones I am referring to work similar to the belly-band holster except set lower. Sometimes, these crotch holsters may allow you to carry your gun openly but typically that is not the smartest way to use it.

I hope that answers your question(s).

KyleKatern

imported post

if you can see ANY part of the gun, most consider that to be 'open'. However, I tend to prefer methods of carry that expose at least 1/2 of the grip of the gun, OR are very clearly a gun carrying device. My Walther P1 rides in a military leather flap holster, the entire gun is covered by the flap when its buttoned up. HOWEVER, it is NOT concealed, in the same way that carrying a gun in a gun case in your hand is not a concealed gun.

NC does not penalize open carry or 'printing'/carrying concealed badly. HOWEVER, I tend to try do do A or B, as you don't want an OC gun that gets covered by your jacket when you put it on, unless you have a valid CHP. And you don't want a 'hidden' or concealed gun that gets shown off tot he store every time you reach to get your wallet.

I own 1 Serpa holster by Blackhawk, currently selling it. It gives added secure retention on the gun, adjustable cant, and can be used for open carry, or with an untucked shirt, or a jacket, can be a concealed holster. I have 1 gun that was a clip on it to clip into a belt, waistband, or a pocket, it also has a neck lanyard. I however tend to carry it in a heavy leather 'wallet' type holster that makes it fit nicely in a hip pocket. I carry my double stack little gun in a small of back/kidney carry location, in a leather holster that clips tot he belt when riding inside of my pants. I can carry it visible, with it outside my shirt, or cover it with my shirt tucked in and have it be hidden. It and the pocket holster are from http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/shop/, a nice shop, though not cheap, that is local here in NC.

For my every day OPEN carry I personally prefer FOBUS paddle type holsters, wither tucked into the waistband or normal belt, or worn on a wide 'pistol' or 'tactical' belt that is looped outside of the belt loops, similar to a tool belt. All of my guns that have a FOBUS holster that fits them ride in one, normally a right hand, friction retention only model, forward 'FBI' cant. You can get these holsters for $20 or so most places, slightly more if you want an adjustable cant model from FOBUS, or if you want a thumb strap or other retention. I also use magazine carriers, and a magazine plus tactical light carrier form the same maker, on identical paddles. This means i can use the paddles with or without a belt, in ANY pants, and since the gun rides high and close to the body, I can cover it up with a jacket in winter weather. The 'FBI' cant means I can carry the gun slightly behind my hip, thus making it comfortable to sit/stand/drive/etc with it in place, and not have to touch the gun in public to adjust its position.

Another things I have found, as a responsible OC person, is that just as important as how you carry your gun is how you carry your ID, credit card, CHP if you have one, business cards with info on open carry, etc. A shirt pocket tends to work well, as if you always keep your wallet and such in your strong side pocket, some Sheeple will get twitchy when you reach down past your gun to get your wallet. We want to educate and be ambassadors, so that those who are still not 100% anti gun see us as the reasonable well behaved ones.

chiefjason

imported post

My personal opinion only here.

I'm an all or nothing type for OC. If I want to OC I use a OWB holster so as much of the gun is visible as possible. I don't want anyone thinking I am doing a poor job of concealing basically.

If it's an IWB holster, then I conceal it. Personally, I would not VA tuck an IWB holster and call it OC. But that's a me thing. Folks do it, and it's there thing.

elixin77

imported post

I'm slightly confused - I thought in NC, that if any portion of clothing (jacket, shirt, etc) covers the pistol, then it is considered concealed (holsters not included), and that you need a CCW permit.

Clarification?

wylde007

imported post

You are confused.

Concealed means "hidden from common observation" or "disguised as to actual nature".

If they can see the hilt, handle, etc, then it is OC. Any officer who would issue a summons or arrest for concealed on grounds other than printing or as an accessory to another charge would have to prove that you were concealing. How would they do that? With a photograph?

A photograph which would have to show the firearm? In which case it would be openly carried? If a photo showed the person concealing, how would anyone know (even a mediocre lawyer would argue this) that there's a weapon on the person in the picture if it can't be seen?

Kivuli

imported post

bgreene89 wrote:
What holsters are considered to be open carry? And what holsters are considered concealed carry? Be sure you specify! And if carrying open carry how much of the gun has to be visible?

Thanks,
Blake
Why do I get the feeling I'm back in High School English class, being asked to answer yet another essay question on a final exam? :uhoh:

Lawmaker

imported post

Officer: Do you have a CCP for that firearm?
OCer: Yes sir I do (Duty to notify) but I am carrying it openly and not concealed.
Officer: Part of your firearm is concealed so it is considered concealed.
OCer: Sir, by definition if my firearm was concealed you would not be able to see it. (Hands LEO my CCP)

The LEO will probably get dumb at this point and start arguing with you. But this is how I would play it.

wylde007

imported post

To follow up on what Lawmaker said (and to go in the other direction) here's a snippet from how a court proceeding might go:

Judge: and you issued this man a citation for conceal carry?
Officer: yes, your honor.
Judge: and how did you know he was carrying a concealed firearm?
Officer: I saw it.
Judge: You saw it and immediately recognized it as a firearm?
Officer: yes, your honor.
Judge: case dismissed.

That's a paraphrasing of how numerous cases have played out in courts in most of the "A" and "A+" states in the union. If the weapon is immediately identifiable as a firearm, it is not concealed. It's really quite simple.