Thread: Intruder shot in Henrico County home

Post imported post

Another case for carrying in the home, or at least keeping it handy in the home:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/intruder_shot_in_henrico_county_home/330328/
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-24-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Post imported post

It never fails to amaze me that the author identified the bad guy as the "victim" who was taken to the hospital. I am glad that the police identified him as the "assailant".

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Have you noticed these are getting to be almost routine now?

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Have you noticed these are getting to be almost routine now?
    Yep. Seems to be the trend lately, unfortunately; and I bet instead of slowing anytime soon that similar instances will continue to steadily occur. :?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    It never fails to amaze me that the author identified the bad guy as the "victim" who was taken to the hospital. I am glad that the police identified him as the "assailant".

Yep, I noted that as well. Clearly portrays the slant of the writer about guns and self-defense.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    gis wrote:

Yep, I noted that as well. Clearly portrays the slant of the writer about guns and self-defense.
    Actually, I see this a bit differently. I remember from journalism class in college oh so many moons ago, that there are words that describe people who take an action and those who have an action done to them. The use of the term victim in that sentence is not designed to say who was right and who was wrong, it merely describes or identifies someone who an action was taken against.

A burglar who is shot by a homeowner can be a victim of a gun shot wound, while the homeowner can be a victim of a burglary.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    It appears that the homeowner was not aware of this individual and had never met him; however, [the assailant] is apparently known to the adult grandson as an acquaintance, someone he recently came across or met,β€œ Price said.

Motive appears to be breaking and entering with intent to commit assault and robbery. β€œHe announced that he wanted money,β€œ Price said.
    Sounds to me like the grandson was bragging to somebody he just met about how his grandma had money. Keep your mouth shut!

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    gis wrote:

Actually, I see this a bit differently. I remember from journalism class in college oh so many moons ago, that there are words that describe people who take an action and those who have an action done to them. The use of the term victim in that sentence is not designed to say who was right and who was wrong, it merely describes or identifies someone who an action was taken against.

A burglar who is shot by a homeowner can be a victim of a gun shot wound, while the homeowner can be a victim of a burglary.
    Victim certainly has several meanings, among them is a person who is acted on adversely and one that is injured. So, there are three victims in this story, however, the wording makes it seem as thought there is only one.