NC prohibition for minors
14‑269.7. Prohibitions on handguns for minors.
(a) Any minor who possesses or carries a handgun is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(b) This section does not apply:
(1) To officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties or acting under orders requiring them to carry handguns.
(2) To a minor who possesses a handgun for educational or recreational purposes while the minor is supervised by an adult who is present.
(3) To an emancipated minor who possesses such handgun inside his or her residence.
(4) To a minor who possesses a handgun while hunting or trapping outside the limits of an incorporated municipality if he has on his person written permission from a parent, guardian, or other person standing in loco parentis.
(c) The following definitions apply in this section:
(1) Handgun. – A firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.
(2) Minor. – Any person under 18 years of age. (1993, c. 259, s. 1; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 5; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 597, s. 1.)
FWIW, this means a minor is anyone under 18. There is no law prohibiting an 18-21 yr old from possessing a handgun, ie, OC.
Permit law here. No mention of age. But you DO need a permit to transfer, I hope the guy had a CCP at least.
Federal purchase requirement, age only.
Provided that federal law and the laws of both the dealer`s and purchaser`s states and localities are complied with:
An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual`s state of residence
An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state
Basically you can possess the gun. If you want to purchase it you have to talk the sheriff into letting you get a permit under 21 and buy it from an individual, not an FFL.
Take a long look at the GS codes. If you work in a gun shop please read and know them. Some of the worst gun info on laws I have ever received came from gun shops. I hate that. If you go to the source you know what the law says, not what someone says it says. It's a peeve of mine.
Oh, and I am not a lawyer, IANAL. Just my thoughts on the question.