Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: detained and released in Southgate

Post imported post

Was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southgate on Eureka rd near Trenton.With my son and 5 friends. Was detained as the result of a citizen (read sheeple) complaint MWAG call. Was released, side arm returned. I was issued a ticket for a knife i was carrying, No further public comment at this time. Would be interested in pm or phone call from any of our legal beagles on the forum. Thank you in advance.

P.S. Hello Murphy ! ! !

:celebrateChuckWagon of the S.M.V.M.

Post imported post

Not looking for any more info, but I'm guessing the knife was in your pocket and their search won't hold up if the reason for them stopping you was your gun alone.

Post imported post

ChuckWagon-SMVM wrote:
    Was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southgate on Eureka rd near Trenton.With my son and 5 friends. Was detained as the result of a citizen (read sheeple) complaint MWAG call. Was released, side arm returned. I was issued a ticket for a knife i was carrying, No further public comment at this time. Would be interested in pm or phone call from any of our legal beagles on the forum. Thank you in advance.

P.S. Hello Murphy ! ! !

:celebrateChuckWagon of the S.M.V.M.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Edited to remove irrelevant information

Post imported post

craigm wrote:
    Not looking for any more info, but I'm guessing the knife was in your pocket and their search won't hold up if the reason for them stopping you was your gun alone.
    even if the knife is of illegal length of type it is fruit of the poisonous tree, and the charge should be dropped!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

Don't quote me on this, but I think even if you had a live grenade in your pocket, the charges would not hold as your 4th Amendment was violated.

Post imported post

good job keeping the details quiet until after you have contacted a lawyer.

sorry to hear about your ordeal.

It should work out ok for you in the end.....

are you working on your foia request today?

did you have a recorder going?

don't take this next part the wrong way....

how did he end up looking in your pockets anyhow?

I have heard several people when asked "do you have any other weapons"

and their reply is "yes, i have a knife in my pocket"

A better response is either no response at all, or a refusal to consent to any search or seizure.

/rant off
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    ETA-2: I've been advised thisincident was notin Westland.

You should just delete your post as it muddy's the water.

Here is the law for Southgate:

692.02 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
    (a) No person shall, in the City, possess any machine gun, sawed off shotgun, any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, sling shot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife or metal knuckles, or any instrument, attachment or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearm, except as otherwise permitted by law.

(1974 Code Sec. 9.69)

(b) No person shall, while within the City, possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another or to use in an unlawful manner, whether directed at a person or object, any imitation pistol, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, knife, bow, bow and arrow, arrow or other dangerous instrument or instrumentality.

(Ord. 551. Passed 2-23-94.)

692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS.
    No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.

(Ord. 405. Passed 1-23-85.)

692.04 WEAPONS IN VEHICLES.
    No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or dangerous weapon, concealed or otherwise, in any vehicle operated or occupied by him or her.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.d...l:southgate_mi

edit added:
    whoever violates or fails to comply with any such provision shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both, for each offense.

Post imported post

And this is why I always carry a knife in a sheath or holster rather than my pocket anymore. ESP when carrying a gun. That way it is NOT concealed. I also make sure I know the knife laws for the are I will be traveling in as they are diff in each city/town.

EDITED to add ... I see some unenforceable ord. there that need to be removed!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Any hope to get State preemption like we have with firearms?

Post imported post

Hard to say but first there has to be enough people asking their legislature for it.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Call Dean Greenblatt. He will happily give you free advice.

When are we going to have a meeting in Southgate?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
    Welcome to OCDO

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    Savage.Detroit wrote:
    Welcome to OCDO
    Thanks, hope to OC for the first time soon. Need to get a OWB holster.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    ETA-2: I've been advised thisincident was notin Westland.

You should just delete your post as it muddy's the water.

Here is the law for Southgate:

692.02 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
    (a) No person shall, in the City, possess any machine gun, sawed off shotgun, any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, sling shot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife or metal knuckles, or any instrument, attachment or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearm, except as otherwise permitted by law.

(1974 Code Sec. 9.69)

(b) No person shall, while within the City, possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another or to use in an unlawful manner, whether directed at a person or object, any imitation pistol, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, knife, bow, bow and arrow, arrow or other dangerous instrument or instrumentality.

(Ord. 551. Passed 2-23-94.)

692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS.
    No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.

692.04 WEAPONS IN VEHICLES.
    No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or dangerous weapon, concealed or otherwise, in any vehicle operated or occupied by him or her.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.d...l:southgate_mi

edit added:
    whoever violates or fails to comply with any such provision shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both, for each offense.
    But as people have stated the stop was unlawful so any search after that is inadmissible and this citation should be dropped. Unless he consented to the search which I hope to god he didn't.

This is just an example of an ******* LEO that has to find something to try and discourage OC. Assbag!
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

but we don't have all the infoso.....

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    but we don't have all the infoso.....
    Then let's make some up.

Post imported post

I had a chat with the owner of ram horn on fort st about having an oc meet and eat there he said he would research it and let me know will post what he says that was on friday.

Post imported post

Viper068 wrote:
    I had a chat with the owner of ram horn on fort st about having an oc meet and eat there he said he would research it and let me know will post what he says that was on friday.
    Research what?
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

That is why I contend asking permission is not a good idea... I have gone back and forth on this but have settled on the fact that asking permission to do something perfectly legal is just foolish and tends to lead to being told no out of hand without them ever getting to see what a non issue it really is!

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    That is why I contend asking permission is not a good idea... I have gone back and forth on this but have settled on the fact that asking permission to do something perfectly legal is just foolish and tends to lead to being told no out of hand without them ever getting to see what a non issue it really is!
    +1

Asking permission leaves waaaaaay too much room for error (denial). e.g. I don't call my local PD and ask permission to drive to the store.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    1.I talk to the guy all the time so it was in polite conversation.
    2.He was not aware oc was legal gave hem a trifold and sent hem here said he would check it out.
    3.If he calls SGPD and they say it is not legal then they need a lot more training to get them up to speed.
    4.privet property rules win just saying.

Post imported post

Yes private property rules are king. However why ask permission to do something that is perfectly legal? I have come to the conclusion that just showing up OCing and being ready to answer questions if they are asked is the better way to go.

That way they get to see that none of there other customers freak out and that you are the same nice normal person you always have been. And that the only diff is a gun on your hip.

And if they ask you to leave ... just leave it is that simple.

Post imported post

Viper068 wrote:
    While this guy is doing his "research", I hope you have scheduled it somewhere else, preferably just down the street from him. That way, when he calls back, no matter what his decision, you can tell him while he was doing his "research", his competitornext doorgot the group's business this time around. But leave the door open for him if he says OC is welcome.

It really sucks when you're a business owner and your competitors get your customers due to your own ignorance. It will really drive the lesson home for this guy, if he's smart, and future OC group requests will be met with an IMMEDIATE welcome.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Most Michigan knife laws that I'm aware of contain the "intent" proviso. I believe that is something that must be proven in court. And oh yeah, don't talk to the police.

Carry on

Post imported post

Went to court today DISMISSED !!!

stay tuned :celebrate

pog mo thoin Murphy !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast