• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a gun as a gift.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

My 19th birthday is next month, and my grandma has been looking into getting me a new carry gun as a present.
She wanted me to ask if this is legal, or if it would be considered a "straw-man" purchase.
I'm in Louisiana, by the way.

1245A Defender

imported post

in washington state, it is perfactly legal for someone to buy a gun thru an FFL, to give AS A GIFT to someone else!:D
thinkin deeper now,, its federal law, so it should be true for you too.:cool:
straw man is only if buying for someone who is a prohibited person.:what:
didnt you just come on here just last month complaining that grandma didnt like you to carry?:cry:
she sounds like a pretty good grandma to have a change of heart like that!:lol:
i think i gave you a hard time about your situation then, and for that im sorry..:(
i try to be a nice and understanding guy, but im not always very good at that!:banghead:
what is she gonna be trying to get for you?:?
if shes in the mood i would like an FNP45USP please..:celebrate

Nikki_Black

imported post

She actually did have a change of heart. I sold my XD45 to pay her car note and part of our rent. So thinks thinks it's only fitting that she buy me a new gun for my birthday. All she said is "it has to be reasonably priced." She fine with me carrying now, I just leave my gun in the car when we go out somewhere together. It does make me uneasy to do it, but I want to make the crazy old bat (joke between me and her) happy. She's coming around to the whole OC movement.
My grandma is a great grandma. She bought me a really nice little Marlin .22 when I first moved back to Louisiana a couple of years ago to take care of them pesky armadillos. :lol:

I'm getting a Hi-Point JHP 45. Don't knock it. That's what my other thread is for. Seriously, I have another thread about my getting a HP.

About my other topic concerning her not letting me carry.
Anything you said is water under the bridge.

1245A Defender

imported post

She fine with me carrying now, I just leave my gun in the car when we go out somewhere together. It does make me uneasy to do it, but I want to make the crazy old bat (joke between me and her) happy. She's coming around to the whole OC movement.

if shes fine with you carrying now? youve got to work her around, that leaving it in the car, crap!
if its good in the car,, its even better when youre out in the world! and even more important to have with you!

start shopping for a holster for that hi point now!,, cause they are huge, i dont know who makes one that will fit it?

Nikki_Black

imported post

I know, I'm getting her to accept it more and more every day.
I hate leaving it in the car, but back when I had a carry weapon, I would walk behind her with my gun at the 4 o clock position, so she rarely saw it. Therefore; it didn't cross her mind to say anything about my gun.

Actually, quite a few companies make holsters for the Hi-Point guns. Galco is one of them. Hi-Point actually has a Galco made paddle holster for sale on their website.
A lot of people find holsters on Ebay and such. Heck, a cheapo Crossman holster fits the smaller models.
Though, I'll probably wear it in a drop leg holster because of the weight. Not trying to be "tacticool"., just trying to be comfortable and functional while carrying a gun I could use as a boat anchor. :lol:

hp-hobo

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
straw man is only if buying for someone who is a prohibited person.
This is an incorrect statement.Block 11, question [a]asks only if you are the actual buyer of the firearm, not if you intend to turn it over to a prohibited person. Any time you are not the actual buyer, it is considered a strawman purchase.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf

It is however perfectly legal to purchase a firearm and gift it to someone who may otherwiselawfully own one.

Nikki_Black

imported post

Thank you, hp-hobo. I have been reading into the law concerning this. I am legally able to own a firearm, I have no criminal record to speak of, and I am also a reserve officer for my local Sheriff's Dept. I have to use a department issued weapon when I get called for duty, which I have to turn in at the end of the shift. The only reason I can't go out and buy myself a handgun is because I'm under 21. I'm old enough to own and carry, but too young to buy for myself.

On a side note, glad to see another Hi-Point user!

okboomer

imported post

My brother-in-law wanted a HighPoint when he moved down here and basically was going to borrow the money from us and pay us back in 3 months. Well, we knew he was good for the deal, so I bought the gun and stated on the paper workthat it was a gift for him. When he paid us back, we went back to the gun store and they transferred the gun to him ... they didn't charge me for it as I purchased several guns a year from them.

okboomer

imported post

Yeah, they were understanding to the tune of 2 other handguns (new) and 3 long guns (2 new and 1 used) and 2 shotguns (berettas on consignment) that Ibought from them thatyear :lol:

I kept the gun in my name until he paid it off so that if something happened, I could reposess the gun.

I knew he was good for it because I had spent the previous 13 months getting him to the VA for his disability ... got it in 13 months! He was a Vietnam veteran and they still denied that he was qualified for Agent Orange disability, but they have expanded the symptom list for that recently, so we are going back for that now.