• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun at Wal-mart in Houston?

AbNo

okboomer

imported post

And yet another example of how liability ties the hands of those who are perceived to be there to protect and assist the public.

Just like those security folks in the subway, they are only there to observe and report. Not to interfere.

As a private citizen, we are more free to act in situations than police and security.

As a licensed security guard, I am constrained by company policies which are written with liability in mind ... and we all know that companies will not take a stand one way or another until forced by circumstances. While I applaud Starbucks for not backing down, their inadvertant inclusion in the Open Carry issue was simply a result of their company policy of taking the easiest path ... "we follow state laws" is another way of saying, "we have no official opinion, but will take the position which provides us the most protection under the individual state's laws." I do not begrudge them this position as this is the actions that have been forced upon vendors by lawsuits that I personally consider frivilous. Remember the McDonalds' coffee fiasco?

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

okboomer wrote:
And yet another example of how liability ties the hands of those who are perceived to be there to protect and assist the public.

Just like those security folks in the subway, they are only there to observe and report. Not to interfere.
That security guard did exactly what he was supposed to. Keep an eye on the situation until a salaried member of management got there. What he/she would have done, I have no idea. Employees aren't allowed to carry. :banghead:

thx997303

imported post

Don't give me that. What he should have done was intervene.

You know it as well as I do.

And if you can't see that, I sure hope that if I replaced that k at the end of your username with a D, it wouldn't be your last name.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

And people wonder why we Open Carry or carry at all. Walmart has that wonderful "do nothing except call the cops" policy. I'm not sure if it's actually policy but I worked at Walmart a few years back and that's what they told us... could have been prevented

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

thx997303 wrote:

And if you can't see that, I sure hope that if I replaced that k at the end of your username with a D, it wouldn't be your last name.
First of all, what does my last name have to do with anything? Was that some sort of joke? Threat? I don't get it, sorry.
Now. The :banghead: in my post was a reference to the entire situation. YES he should have intervened. YES he should have helped the woman. YES the employees should be allowed to protect themselves, the customers, and (IMO) company property. But NO, we aren't supposed to. Like Hollowpoint pointed out, it's against Wal-Mart policy for hourly associates to intervene in anything. If you see, with your own eyes, someone do anything wrong, you can't do shit unless you are a manager.

As sad as it is to say it, the security guy was doing exactly what he was paid to do. It just goes to show that no one is responsible for your safety but you. :X

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

First of all, what does my last name have to do with anything? Was that some sort of joke? Threat? I don't get it, sorry.
Now. The :banghead: in my post was a reference to the entire situation. YES he should have intervened. YES he should have helped the woman. YES the employees should be allowed to protect themselves, the customers, and (IMO) company property. But NO, we aren't supposed to. Like Hollowpoint pointed out, it's against Wal-Mart policy for hourly associates to intervene in anything. If you see, with your own eyes, someone do anything wrong, you can't do @#$% unless you are a manager.

As sad as it is to say it, the security guy was doing exactly what he was paid to do. It just goes to show that no one is responsible for your safety but you. :X
In many (most?) instances store security are just paid witnesses and have no defensive training or tools unless they are off duty LEOs.

In this instance a good citizen was able to defuse the event - so what is the problem? Wal-Mart IMHO should thank the good citizen, but that is highly unlikely.

Do you actually expect Wally World to protect you?

Yata hey

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

okboomer wrote:
As a private citizen, we are more free to act in situations than police and security.
Security yes, police no. Definitely not.

If you tried to "act" in the fashion that some cops would you'd find yourself in jail so fast your head would spin.

Let's be real. The propaganda that police are unable to act because of liability is utter nonsense.

The bad apples *escape* liability far more too frequently. No, if anything, the propaganda you espouse has put us too far in that direction, and we now need far *more* applied liability (criminal and civil) for police.

Anyway, I'm not sure we need more "sheep dogs". I think what we really need are more human beings. And the sheepdogs don't exactly encourage the sheep to leave the fold. But that's what we need. If anything we need fewer LEOs and less assumption that they and security can exist to protect you. This might force people to wake up to the fact that no police can ever be truly responsible for the personal safety and security of individuals.

okboomer

imported post

Depends if the police actually witness any Misdemeanor in their presence, or if a reasonable belief that a felony was committed before they arrived. If the woman seemed credible, then they would have RAS ... if not, then they would have no basis for detainment of the subject.

Now, in real life practice, I agree that more times than not, the dude will be hand-cuffed and interviewed regardless of the facts.

As a citizen, all we have to have is to be in fear for our lives, or the lives of others to act.

thx997303

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Now. The :banghead: in my post was a reference to the entire situation. YES he should have intervened. YES he should have helped the woman. YES the employees should be allowed to protect themselves, the customers, and (IMO) company property. But NO, we aren't supposed to. Like Hollowpoint pointed out, it's against Wal-Mart policy for hourly associates to intervene in anything. If you see, with your own eyes, someone do anything wrong, you can't do @#$% unless you are a manager.

I'll begin with, you said the guard did what he should have done. Not what he is paid to do.

As you agree, He SHOULD have intervened. He is not PAID to, but he SHOULD have.

Your original wording was poor and lead me to believe something other than your apparently intended meaning.

As for your last name, let's just say it's a matter of association.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Well, since I'm an unarmed Wal-Mart employee :banghead:, I probably would have tried to talk him down by offering him money or something. I have no idea what started the situation, or why he attacked her so it is hard to say for sure. Keep in mind, I would be risking my job, not to mention my life, if I decided to confront the BG unarmed. And it's still the best company I've ever worked for.

The reason it is easy to pick on the rent-a-cop is because it seems he didn't even try to talk to the assailant. It seems he offered no assistance whatsoever.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Here's an earlier outrage of a similar event -- security guards (apparently a misnomer nowadays) not intervening, possibly due to mall policy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vU81qkuvcU

Whatever suits madeAND APPROVEDthe non-intervention policy should be likewise assaulted at that mall and in frontof the same "security" guards -- who would again not intervene -- but this time the beating (of the suits) would be well and truly deserved.

-- John D.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

That is insane! Why pay for security if there is a policy against helping?

The job description is in the name is self: Secur(e)ity.

What are you securing in that video? nothing! I got into an argument with hospital security today about carrying a gun because it was printing on my shirt. He said I don't need a weapon because there is security in the building. I said, "there are no posted signs, you don't have a copy of your policy, and I don't trust you to protect me."

This is a prime example of why we should all carry and not expect others to protect us.

eye95

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
That is insane! Why pay for security if there is a policy against helping?

The job description is in the name is self: Secur(e)ity.

What are you securing in that video? nothing! I got into an argument with hospital security today about carrying a gun because it was printing on my shirt. He said I don't need a weapon because there is security in the building. I said, "there are no posted signs, you don't have a copy of your policy, and I don't trust you to protect me."

This is a prime example of why we should all carry and not expect others to protect us.
Maybe the backs of their jackets should read "Observe and Reportity" since instead of securing, they are observing and reporting.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

I agree. Why do these companies pay for "security" if they can't do anything? Can someone answer that question? Some girl scared for her life goes and hides with a "security" officer. Thebadguycomes over and starts beating the girl right in front of "security" and they don't do ANYTHING.

So why pay for them? What are they their for?

okboomer

imported post

Hollowpoint,

As a licensed armed security guard, I can tell you that the "observe and report" is a direct result of companies and corporations reacting to liability concerns. If a security guard reacts and intervenes in an assault such as the two under discussion here, the company would then be liable for any and all actions of the SG. So, if an SG injures someone during his assistance, the company is liable for the costs of that injury.

This is not "written" down somewhere, it is based on observed instructions and actions. These specific "do nothing" instructions are not even written in the rules of conduct that a company will provide to a SG ... they are verbal and can be denied in a court of law. (Again with the fear of liability)

Once you are trained and licensed, good samaritan laws will not protect a SG ... nor a company.

As for hospital security. Ah, well, they did not have the authority to ask you to leave the premises without instructions from higher up, and those instructions would not have come without consulting the lawyers. You get the idea ... the lawyers are involved and in this situation, it is an abundance of caution that is driving policies. (I personally don't blame the companies ... they have to show a profit to their shareholders and a lawsuit over them standing on principle is not good for the bottom line.)

eye95

imported post

I am sure we all know why security guards do not proved security.

It is still morally wrong.

There needs to be a legal definition of words "security" and "guard." When those words are emblazoned on an employee, that employee should be trained and authorized to act to provide security to people and property on the premises of the person who hires the employee or the service.

That young lady in the bus tunnel had a reasonable expectation that she could walk up to someone with "Security" on his back and receive at least an attempt at protection.

On that basis, she should sue, and she should win. IMO.