• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to Arizona for Bike Week

brokenbarrel

imported post

well being that your going to the sierra vista area you might want to call the local sheriff and see what they say..truth is i found that from casa grande south people with and without badges are very accepting of oc or cc if you have a permit.I just got my ccw friday mailed prints monday 4 days and it was in my hand a detective in the city where i live conducted the class it was an ok 8hrs but we sat on wood chairs with no padding(ouch)..me and my wife had sore tailbones-she took it too..anyways if you frequent our great state you should get your ccw..

azcdlfred

imported post

Ricky Ortiz wrote:
if a cop approches me from my left and I keep my weapon on my right but keep a mag holder on my left side which is clearly visible can or will they still hassle me? Someone I am going with on this little trip said that he checked the laws and from what he told me he is not very accurate lol Thanks for the reply's with the info. Also, you can carry loaded open correct?

A magazine is not a gun and a magazine pouch is not a holster, so techincally you can bearrested if you don't have a permit. The good news is that unless the coprelocated to Arizonafrom one of the disarmed citizens states, the cops in Arizona are good guys and gals and are used to seeing open carry and you shouldn't be hassled at all. I carry openly all the time and all I've ever heard from a cop was a compliment on my gun (Glock - of course!).

Since Arizona is an open carry state,people areused to seeing citizens with guns. Down in Sierra Vista, it's probably more common than in Phoenix .

Regarding carrying a loaded pistol. State law doesn't make the distinction and common sense says an unloaded pistol (or not having a chambered round) is basically a rock.

There are a ton of urban legends on gun boards like this about what you can and cannot do. I recommend going to the source - this document at the DPS (State Police) website. It's what CCW instructors are required to teach from and it's the best summary of laws and court decisions regarding firearms.

Fred

mrh2008

imported post

I've read quite a bit on AZ OC'ing, but i am still unsure if i am legaly OC'ing in my car. I get in my car and take off my holster/firearm, and place it on the passanger seat. Is this anacceptable way to open carry in my car? gun is holstered and no one else is in the car with me.some say yes, some say no. I live in far north-east mesa, mostly MCSO out here andi hear that they areare pro-gun, d'you think i'll have a problem? Any info to clear this up would be greatly appreciated :)

azcdlfred

imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
I get in my car and take off my holster/firearm, and place it on the passanger seat. Is this anacceptable way to open carry in my car? gun is holstered and no one else is in the car with me.some say yes, some say no.
Unless you have a CCW permit, youcan be cited forviolating the law. Per the court's interpreation of ARS 13-3102.G, unless you have a CCW permit, your gun must be visible fromOUTSIDE the car EXCEPT if it is holstered and in one of the 4 magic places (glove compartment, map pocket, storage compartment or trunk).

Attached is a flyer we hand out at gun shows. The second page has the quotes from the court cases. When we drafted the flyer, what is now ARS 13-3102.G was ARS 13-3102.F. It was changed last September and we haven't updated the cite. We hope to toss out our supply when Constitutional Carry is passed.

UnlessOfficer Friendlyhas X-Ray vision he cannot see your gun from outside the car. He may be able to see it when he looks through the window standing next to your car, and at that point may or may not determine if the gun on the seat is a concealed weapon - it's his discretion. Fortunately, 99% of Arizona's LEO's are nice boys and girls, but all you need is someone who relocated from Illinois, New York, California, etc. and you are screwed, blued and tattooed.

azcdlfred

imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
i see, thanks for the info, i think thats a rediculous part of the law tho. :(

It is ridiculous and that's why we're trying to get Constitutional Carry passed. Under current law (and court decisions) open carry in Arizona is really only legal if you have a CCW permit since it can be very easily determined that you are carrying a concealed weapon.

The Constitutional Carry bills wipe out ARS 13-3102.G as well as the A.1 and A.2 sections that require a permit to carry concealed. Once passed and into law, the distinction in the law between open carry and concleaed carry in statute will disappear for law-abiding adults. That's why it's important for proponents of open carry to support Constitutional Carry and stop thinking it doesn't apply to them.

Fred

brokenbarrel

imported post

That's why it's important for proponents of open carry to support Constitutional Carry and stop thinking it doesn't apply to them.

Fred

I deserved that for my coment that constitutional carry was a cc and not oc issue my apologies..I just never looked at it from that aspect:banghead:...My head is sometimes up some place and I'm not talkin bout on my shoulders..My dad always told me you can have your eyes wide open and not see everything unless you know what yur lookin for...........................................................................2-1-51 to 12-19-06,only 55...

azcdlfred

imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
I deserved that for my coment that constitutional carry was a cc and not oc issue my apologies
Mine was a general statement, not directed at anyone- I don't even remember any comments you made, but I'm lucky if I remember what I ate for breakfast.

Fred