• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kinda off topic...

Outdoorsman

imported post

I saw and responded to a statement on another thread about a guy who was involved in a traffic stop and the LEO asked for his girlfriend's/wife's (I can't remember which)ID. She was a passenger in the vehicle. I questioned the legality of this. Should a passenger of a vehicle have to hand over his/her ID???

I sent my question to the Michigan State Police website and this is the response I received...

"Thank you for your interest in traffic safety and for posting your question to
the MSP website. It has been forwarded to my office for a response.

If the person has broken a law, then they must provide identification to the
officer. Most officers always ask (as did I) for identification from all
passengers inside of the vehicle. This serves several purposes, foremost
helping the officer to know who he is dealing with. Also, the person may have
warrants and the officer is able to verify this with their identification.
Generally, most people do not have a problem complying with the officer's
request. The ones who do most likely have a reason to shield their identity
from the officer."

Thank you,

Sgt. Jill M. Bennett
Michigan State Police
Traffic Safety Division
Traffic Services Section
4000 Collins Road
Lansing, MI 48909
TX: 517-336-6121
Fax: 517-336-6259
bennettj14@michigan.gov

It seems to me that Sgt. Bennett totally avoided answering the question. I sent a response back again asking for clarification. We'll see what kind of response I get. Does anyone interpret this response differently?

autosurgeon

imported post

Unfortunately in a traffic stop you are all detained so they do have the legal ability to ask for ID from everyone.

I could be wrong ...though will have to research more when I get home from work.

lapeer20m

imported post

as a passenger, i think you do NOT have to give id, especially since you are not required to carry ID if you are not the driver.

the driver might be angry if the passengers don't share their id with the officer upon request because an officer has the discretion to choose which laws to enforce and to what degree. When getting pulled over, for speeding as an example, if you were clocked at 82 in a 70, the officer has the discretion to decide how to write the ticket. Perhaps you would get off with a warning, or a ticket for 5 over had everyone complied. Non-compliance is a good excuse for the officer to write you a ticket for the full 12 mph over the speed limit.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
as a passenger, i think you do NOT have to give id, especially since you are not required to carry ID if you are not the driver.

the driver might be angry if the passengers don't share their id with the officer upon request because an officer has the discretion to choose which laws to enforce and to what degree. When getting pulled over, for speeding as an example, if you were clocked at 82 in a 70, the officer has the discretion to decide how to write the ticket. Perhaps you would get off with a warning, or a ticket for 5 over had everyone complied. Non-compliance is a good excuse for the officer to write you a ticket for the full 12 mph over the speed limit.

Wrong.

All persons in a vehicle during a traffic stop are STOPPED.

lapeer20m

imported post

the questions is not if everyone in the vehicle was not being stopped. All occupants ARE being stopped.

Michigan is not a stop and ID state

People are not required to carry ID in michigan unless they are driving a car, or carrying concealed. (ok, they're might be a couple other's, ie: when purchasing alcohol)

The point is, to be a passenger in a car, you are not required to carry id, so you can't be required to produce something you are not required to carry.

autosurgeon

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
the questions is not if everyone in the vehicle was not being stopped. All occupants ARE being stopped.

People are not required to carry ID in michigan unless they are driving a car, or carrying concealed. (ok, they're might be a couple other's, ie: when purchasing alcohol)

The point is, to be a passenger in a car, you are not required to carry id, so you can't be required to produce something you are not required to carry.
I see your point!

Outdoorsman

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:

I see your point!
That is basically how I view it. Still waiting for the follow-up response.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:

I agree to all of this, at least to a point. I believe there are many factors that come into play once a vehicle has been stopped and what transpires during the stop. If for example, the officer is simply conducting a routine traffic stop, lets say for defective equipment with no other indication that a crime was, has, or will take place, then no ID's should be required from passengers. If, on the other hand, the stop turns into a Terry, then I think the officer can legally require ID. e.g. Officernotices green-leafy substances, residue, smells intoxicants, etc.

Outdoorsman

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:

I agree to all of this, at least to a point. I believe there are many factors that come into play once a vehicle has been stopped and what transpires during the stop. If for example, the officer is simply conducting a routine traffic stop, lets say for defective equipment with no other indication that a crime was, has, or will take place, then no ID's should be required from passengers. If, on the other hand, the stop turns into a Terry, then I think the officer can legally require ID. e.g. Officernotices green-leafy substances, residue, smells intoxicants, etc.
I think you're correct. If the LEO has established a reason to suspect a crime (smell of weed), then I can see asking for ID's. But during a routine traffic stop, I would say no.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Outdoorsman wrote:
I saw and responded to a statement on another thread about a guy who was involved in a traffic stop and the LEO asked for his girlfriend's/wife's (I can't remember which)ID. She was a passenger in the vehicle. I questioned the legality of this. Should a passenger of a vehicle have to hand over his/her ID???

I sent my question to the Michigan State Police website and this is the response I received...

"Thank you for your interest in traffic safety and for posting your question to
the MSP website. It has been forwarded to my office for a response.

If the person has broken a law, then they must provide identification to the
officer. Most officers always ask (as did I) for identification from all
passengers inside of the vehicle. This serves several purposes, foremost
helping the officer to know who he is dealing with. Also, the person may have
warrants and the officer is able to verify this with their identification.
Generally, most people do not have a problem complying with the officer's
request. The ones who do most likely have a reason to shield their identity
from the officer."

Thank you,

Sgt. Jill M. Bennett
Michigan State Police
Traffic Safety Division
Traffic Services Section
4000 Collins Road
Lansing, MI 48909
TX: 517-336-6121
Fax: 517-336-6259
bennettj14@michigan.gov

It seems to me that Sgt. Bennett totally avoided answering the question. I sent a response back again asking for clarification. We'll see what kind of response I get. Does anyone interpret this response differently?

This is BS. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE ID in Michigan. The onlytime you have to produce a DL if you are lawfully stopped while driving or are being lawfully detained and are carrying a concealed weapon and after you declare same the LEO asks to see your CPL and a Legal Michigan ID/or DL.

You do not have to answer questions asked by a LEO as well. You have the right to remain silent.

While the courts have ruled that all people in a vehicle that is stopped by a LEO are "detained" only the driver has to produce a DL, the passengers can refuse to produce ID as there is no obligation to by law in this state. You do not give up your rights by riding in a vehicle.

UCWT

imported post

Venator wrote:
This is BS.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE ID in Michigan.  The only time you have to produce a DL if you are lawfully stopped while driving or are being lawfully detained and are carrying a concealed weapon and after you declare same the LEO asks to see your CPL and a Legal Michigan ID/or DL.

You do not have to answer questions asked by a LEO as well.  You have the right to remain silent.

While the courts have ruled that all people in a vehicle that is stopped by a LEO are "detained" only the driver has to produce a DL, the passengers can refuse to produce ID as there is no obligation to by law in this state.

:celebrate it works but man they wanna bust your balls for doing so. leo used every form of getting me to give up mine. it ended after he threatened to take me "downtown" and i said do it then. i was the only one in the car that didn't surrender who i was that day.

taxwhat

imported post

dougwg wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:

Wrong.

All persons in a vehicle during a traffic stop are STOPPED.
Question : One is passenger .TS is for rolling stop sign [ no drugs,stolen property or such] .After stop and driver gives All proper ID toLEOthen asks for passenger for ID . And is told no Thank You Officer I am Late for work and must now walk. Then starts to walk away . Officer does What ?

Michigander

imported post

Aside from the limited circumstances which were already mentioned where carrying and showing ID is mandatory, whether or not an officer has the right to seize ID from a person doesn't generally have any bearing on whether or not that person needs to be carrying it.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Question : One is passenger .TS is for rolling stop sign [ no drugs,stolen property or such] .After stop and driver gives All proper ID toLEOthen asks for passenger for ID . And is told no Thank You Officer I am Late for work and must now walk. Then starts to walk away . Officer does What ?
Which department?

Jonny008

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Question : One is passenger .TS is for rolling stop sign [ no drugs,stolen property or such] .After stop and driver gives All proper ID toLEOthen asks for passenger for ID . And is told no Thank You Officer I am Late for work and must now walk. Then starts to walk away . Officer does What ?"

to me it would seem that they would probably shout get back in the car or taze you and arrest you for refusing an order.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
Which department?
:lol: Exactly!!!

RenegadeMarine

imported post

I am a criminal justice major and our textbooks say that once an officer turns his lights on the entire vehicle is technically considered under arrest and everyone in the vehicle is subject to producing some form if ID upon request. If a passenger doesn't have ID they must give their name and DOB. Nobody in the vehicle is free to leave until the officer is done with his duties or gives permission to do so.