• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kinda off topic...

PDinDetroit

imported post

RenegadeMarine wrote:
I am a criminal justice major and our textbooks say that once an officer turns his lights on the entire vehicle is technically considered under arrest and everyone in the vehicle is subject to producing some form if ID upon request. If a passenger doesn't have ID they must give their name and DOB. Nobody in the vehicle is free to leave until the officer is done with his duties or gives permission to do so.
Textbook, smeckbook! Provide a cite to the MCL!

RenegadeMarine

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
RenegadeMarine wrote:
I am a criminal justice major and our textbooks say that once an officer turns his lights on the entire vehicle is technically considered under arrest and everyone in the vehicle is subject to producing some form if ID upon request. If a passenger doesn't have ID they must give their name and DOB. Nobody in the vehicle is free to leave until the officer is done with his duties or gives permission to do so.
I'm sorry, I saw a lot of people on this thread giving their personal opinions without citing MCL, so I figured that I would give my educated opinion on thematter. Should I refrain from doing this in the future?

taxwhat

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
Question : One is passenger .TS is for rolling stop sign [ no drugs,stolen property or such] .After stop and driver gives All proper ID toLEOthen asks for passenger for ID . And is told no Thank You Officer I am Late for work and must now walk. Then starts to walk away . Officer does What ?
Which department?
:lol: Exactly!!!
MSP

ghostrider

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Question : One is passenger .TS is for rolling stop sign [ no drugs,stolen property or such] .After stop and driver gives All proper ID toLEOthen asks for passenger for ID . And is told no Thank You Officer I am Late for work and must now walk. Then starts to walk away . Officer does What ?
I would say it depends upon the circumstances, the individual officer (as well as the type of day he/she is having), and the agency/judge/PA/etc...

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
I would say it depends upon the circumstances, the individual officer (as well as the type of day he/she is having), and the agency/judge/PA/etc...

I think what Mr. Taxman is trying to insinuate is that what an officer "can" and "might" do drastically differs from what an officer is "legally allowed" to do, and if you are shot to death while fleeing from being "not detained" it will be little comfort to you that you would have made it to work on time...

I would not apply a blanket judgement, but rather evaluate every situation as it comes. A friend of mine likes to constantly repeat the advice that "just because you have a nuclear weapon does not mean you should detonate it"

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

RenegadeMarine wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:
RenegadeMarine wrote:
I'm sorry, I saw a lot of people on this thread giving their personal opinions without citing MCL, so I figured that I would give my educated opinion on thematter. Should I refrain from doing this in the future?
Yes.

Please provide a statute that state a person must have let alone produce an ID when asked by a LEO. I'll save you the time there is none. Teachers and text books are not always correct. That's what 2nd editions and Tenure is all about.

While it is true that all the occupants are "stopped" they have rights and they can refuse ID and can remain silent in Michigan. Now other states have different statutes so check your local state laws.

ghostrider

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
taxwhat wrote:

I think what Mr. Taxman is trying to insinuate is that what an officer "can" and "might" do drastically differs from what an officer is "legally allowed" to do, and if you are shot to death while fleeing from being "not detained" it will be little comfort to you that you would have made it to work on time...

I would not apply a blanket judgement, but rather evaluate every situation as it comes. A friend of mine likes to constantly repeat the advice that "just because you have a nuclear weapon does not mean you should detonate it"
Too many people are too concerned with determining if the stop is legal or not. It matters not to them, but to their lawyer. All they need to concern themselves with is not incriminating themselves for anything. "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" was written with the idea that one does not play "tit-for-tat" with the individual officer (or even the department), but rather just gather the pertinent facts, set a clear boundary that the encounter is not consensual by repeatedly asking to leave, and let the lawyer concern him/herself with the particulars.

The question was, "What does the officer do?", and I stand by my answer. Each department trains it's officers to it's own requirements, and each officer will act in accordance with that training, as well as his/her own particular biases and experiences.

The question of what the officer can legally do was not posed, so I didn't comment on it, and could care less as it's something that the lawyer deals with, not me.

Frankly, I don't even see how your statement in response to my post is even relative. It's like it's addressing a totally different post from mine. Maybe you misunderstood but, nowhere did I address what is "...legally allowed", nor was it in the initial question. Nowhere did I even so much as imply "...fleeing from being "not detained"

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I think what Mr. Taxman is trying to insinuate is that what an officer "can" and "might" do drastically differs from what an officer is "legally allowed" to do, ...
He implied it, while I specifically stated it.

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I would not apply a blanket judgement, but rather evaluate every situation as it comes.
Tax_what didn't ask what I (or any of us) would do. He asked "Officer does What ?"

Answer: Whatever he wants to do. That being dependent upon training/experiences/ Da/judges/etc...

sasha601

imported post

I happened to research this subject recently. Some states have so called "stop and identify" laws. Those states require that you disclose some ID information about yourself if you are legally "detained". Amount of information differs from state to state and varies from requirement to disclose name only to requirement to disclose name, date of birth and address. Currently, there are 23 such states. Michigan is not one of them .

In Michigan person absolutely is not required to produce
ID or even verbally to disclose name. This is true regardless weather you are detained or arrested. You may remain mute and you are completely within the Law. If arrested, you will not be able to escape charges by not disclosing your name. First, you will be denied bond because of that. Second, the State will assign a name for you for the purpose of processing you through the legal system. The name will be something like "Joe The Doe" or similar. You will be charged, convicted and do jail time under that name.

Above is true only if you not operating a motor vehicle or carrying a concealed pistol. In this case you are required to provide DL or CPL.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "stop and identify" laws are usually not preempted like firearm laws. This means that localities might have "stop and identify" law even though State of Michigan does not. I recently went through all city of Rochester Hills ordinances and found no requirements to disclose anything. So, it is prudent to check your local ordinances.

However, based on Hiibel vs. Nevada case, states and localities can not require to disclose more than name and even that in verbal form only. So, if in doubt about your locality ordinances, disclose only name but do not provide ID. As I mentioned above, some states go beyond and require that date of birth and address to be provided. This is beyond Hiibel vs. Nevade US Supreme Court decision. Many believe that any law that requires disclosure of anything more than name (verbally) is on a shaky ground.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Jonny008 wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
Question : One is passenger .TS is for rolling stop sign [ no drugs,stolen property or such] .After stop and driver gives All proper ID toLEOthen asks for passenger for ID . And is told no Thank You Officer I am Late for work and must now walk. Then starts to walk away . Officer does What ?"

to me it would seem that they would probably shout get back in the car or taze you and arrest you for refusing an order.
First that depends on the order, is the order Lawful, or unlawful. Second courts have already ruled that The car and it's occupants are being stopped. I don't agree...Just saying!

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
taxwhat wrote:

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I think what Mr. Taxman is trying to insinuate is that what an officer "can" and "might" do drastically differs from what an officer is "legally allowed" to do, ...
after reading your post again I realize I am basically agreeing with you... so I suppose you're right and there is no real reason for me to have said it...

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I would not apply a blanket judgement, but rather evaluate every situation as it comes.
Tax_what didn't ask what I (or any of us) would do. He asked "Officer does What ?"
I am aware of that. I should have made it more clear that this particular statement of mine was in response to the original topic, not your post, as I always try to respond to the original questions no matter what other comments I may have.

Answer: Whatever he wants to do. That being dependent upon training/experiences/ Da/judges/etc...

...yes, that's the point I was making.
Comments in Red ghostrider, was not jumping on you just 'overclarifying'

mikestilly

imported post

sasha601 wrote:
I happened to research this subject recently. Some states have so called "stop and identify" laws. Those states require that you disclose some ID information about yourself if you are legally "detained". Amount of information differs from state to state and varies from requirement to disclose name only to requirement to disclose name, date of birth and address. Currently, there are 23 such states. Michigan is not one of them .

In Michigan person absolutely is not required to produce
ID or even verbally to disclose name. This is true regardless weather you are detained or arrested. You may remain mute and you are completely within the Law. If arrested, you will not be able to escape charges by not disclosing your name. First, you will be denied bond because of that. Second, the State will assign a name for you for the purpose of processing you through the legal system. The name will be something like "Joe The Doe" or similar. You will be charged, convicted and do jail time under that name.

Above is true only if you not operating a motor vehicle or carrying a concealed pistol. In this case you are required to provide DL or CPL.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "stop and identify" laws are usually not preempted like firearm laws. This means that localities might have "stop and identify" law even though State of Michigan does not. I recently went through all city of Rochester Hills ordinances and found no requirements to disclose anything. So, it is prudent to check your local ordinances.

However, based on Hiibel vs. Nevada case, states and localities can not require to disclose more than name and even that in verbal form only. So, if in doubt about your locality ordinances, disclose only name but do not provide ID. As I mentioned above, some states go beyond and require that date of birth and address to be provided. This is beyond Hiibel vs. Nevade US Supreme Court decision. Many believe that any law that requires disclosure of anything more than name (verbally) is on a shaky ground.

The only way you'd be booked under jane/john doe is if your prints weren't on file.

ghostrider

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
taxwhat wrote:

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
after reading your post again I realize I am basically agreeing with you... so I suppose you're right and there is no real reason for me to have said it...

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I am aware of that. I should have made it more clear that this particular statement of mine was in response to the original topic, not your post, as I always try to respond to the original questions no matter what other comments I may have.

...yes, that's the point I was making.
Comments in Red ghostrider, was not jumping on you just 'overclarifying'
Cool. Glad you cleared that up because I couldn't make the connection between your post and mine. Were good.

G

imported post

This cite is relative to having the occupants exit the vehicle.

Does not address identification or detainment.

ghostrider

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
This cite is relative to having the occupants exit the vehicle.

Does not address identification or detainment.
Exactly.

Had a big write up and problems posting.

First one doesn't even address detaining the passenger, and only briefly mentions a second occupant.

Second cite only says the officer may order the person out of the car. Says nothing about making the person stick around.