• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on Virginia Creeper Bike Trail

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Sounds good. I will plan on carrying then :)

I think its funny how the guy first says that he doesn't understand why someone would feel the need to carry on the trail, and then later says that the Appalachain Trail which is also nearby has had some "tragic" incidents and doesn't go on it unless ready for surprises. Looks like an about-face to me. Maybe after having some time to think about it he realized that we aren't crazy for wanting to carry in an otherwise "safe" place after all.

TFred

imported post

Sounds like all is well that ends well. I guess we'll see if the website is updated.

Being a Monday morning quarterback (and fully accepting all the connotations of just how "useless" that position is :)) I probably would have just concentrated on the fact that it appears the website was out of date, given that the two towns have reportedly corrected their ordinances to comply with 15.2-915 (the preemption statute).

If I said anything at all about safety issues, I probably would have approached it from the perspective of the other information provided on the website: that there is only one public phone along the trail, and cell service is spotty, or non-existent. This truly leaves users of the trail "on their own" in case of trouble.

I found it reassuring that the guy acknowledged that there can be crime issues on trails. At least he has one foot in the real world. :)

TFred