• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting situation I thought of...

47_MasoN_47

imported post

Since in AL the sheriff can take your CCL away (sometimes for OCing from what I hear) would it be possible for me to get my CCL in FL ("shall issue" to non-residents) to prevent the sheriff from taking it from me? Seems like this would be a good way to ensure that I couldn't lose my right to CC by exercising my right to OC.

Opinions?

eye95

imported post

I thought I remember reading that AL does not recognize non-resident permits from another state if you are an AL resident. In other words, if you are an AL resident, you need an AL permit to carry in AL.

I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong or points everyone to where this policy is encoded if I am right.

Kingfish

imported post

47_MasoN_47 wrote:
FACEPALM! Gah Alabama sucks sometimes.
Sometimes? It sucked for the whole 8 months I lived there.

Can't open carry.
Can't brew your own beer.
Can't buy beer over 6% abv.
Can't open a brewpub.
Can't have "toy" stores.

aadvark

imported post

You CAN Open Carry in Alabama, and you do not need a Permit!

Everything else though, is sad but true. There is no Alcohol or 'Toys' in a Bible-belt State.

eye95

imported post

kingfish wrote:
47_MasoN_47 wrote:

Can't open carry. False.
Can't buy beer over 6% abv. Recently made False.
Can't open a brewpub. False. Montgomery has had a brew pub for years.
Can't have "toy" stores. Montgomery has some interesting "toy" stores.
My individual replies are in dark red.

Kingfish

imported post

aadvark wrote:

Everything else though, is sad but true. There is no Alcohol or 'Toys' in a Bible-belt State.
Um...You are correct. You CAN but in alot of places you are VERY likely to get thrown to the ground and have a boot in the back of your head while you are disarmed and taken to jail and loose your permit for some time.

Kingfish

imported post

eye95 wrote:
kingfish wrote:
47_MasoN_47 wrote:

Can't open carry. False.
Can, yes but not advisable in many parts of the state.

Very Very recently..What..2 months ago?

And Auburn has one. The point is there are VERY few. Maybe 6 in the state.
http://law.justia.com/alabama/codes/21502/28-4a-3.html

And it is still against the law. A law that is not being enforced but it is still against the law.
And mine are in navy.

Edited for citation.

eye95

imported post

kingfish wrote:
aadvark wrote:

Um...You are correct. You CAN but in alot of places you are VERY likely to get thrown to the ground and have a boot in the back of your head while you are disarmed and taken to jail and loose your permit for some time.
Really? Do you have any ferinstances of someone being thrown to the ground and getting a boot in the back of the head. A lot of people have related a lot of stories about OC who haven't been hassled at all, let alone "booted."

Granted, some LEOs are unfamiliar with the law and may inappropriately confront an OCer, but what you allege is quite extreme.

eye95

imported post

kingfish wrote:
eye95 wrote:
kingfish wrote:
47_MasoN_47 wrote:

Can't open carry. False.
Please share specifics.

Longer than that, but I did say "recently."

So, you can open one, therefore your statement is false.

And it is still against the law. A law that is not being enforced but it is still against the law.
Please cite the law. We have several "toy" stores. I hardly think they are all violating the law. The fact the we have them means that we can, so your statement is false.
And mine are in navy.
Dark red again. Your turn.

47_MasoN_47

imported post

There are adult bookstores and such in Huntsville and Birmingham I'm sure. There are even huge billboards about them. I've never been in any of them but the signs say toys and such.

Can anyone confirm that eye95's statement about AL not honoring non-resident CCLs is true?

Kingfish

imported post

eye95 wrote:
kingfish wrote:
aadvark wrote:

Really? Do you have any ferinstances of someone being thrown to the ground and getting a boot in the back of the head. A lot of people have related a lot of stories about OC who haven't been hassled at all, let alone "booted."

Granted, some LEOs are unfamiliar with the law and may inappropriately confront an OCer, but what you allege is quite extreme.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/2576-1.html

Kingfish

imported post

eye95 wrote:
kingfish wrote:
eye95 wrote:
kingfish wrote:
47_MasoN_47 wrote:

Can't open carry. False.
Please share specifics.
Done, see above.

Longer than that, but I did say "recently."
Ya got me here.

So, you can open one, therefore your statement is false.
See cite in previous post. Can is pretty subjective...VERY strict rules.

Please cite the law. We have several "toy" stores. I hardly think they are all violating the law. The fact the we have them means that we can, so your statement is false.

http://pandagon.net/index.php/site/alabama_supremes_uphold_criminalization_of_sex_toy_sales_store_owner_will_c/
And mine are in navy.
Dark red again. Your turn.
Last post in this thread. One CAN do anything they damn well please.

Just because Montgomery County or Birmingham decided to let the good ol' boys carry does not mean that everywhere in the state will allow it. I fully understand the law and I fully understand it is legal. I was one of the co-founders of alabamagunrights.org (a now defunct gun rights site and forum.)

Please do not tell people they CAN OC without a license and they will be just fine anywhere in AL. You would be giving some possibly very damaging and costly advice.

eye95

imported post

kingfish wrote:
eye95 wrote:
kingfish wrote:
aadvark wrote:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/2576-1.html
OK, that's one ferinstance (albeit sans boot to the head). Shall I post dozens of links to OCers being flat ignored by LEOs?

BTW, we are getting one side of the story. I'd be willing to bet the OCer did something more than he related. If he had calmly and immediately exited the premises, not making a scene with "nazi" remarks, got in his truck, and left, I'd bet money the cops wouldn't have even had time to show up.

He hung around on the premises after being asked to leave.

I'd like to see the police report and judge for myself what happened after hearing both sides.

The fact remains that OC happens all the time in Alabama--without incident.

eye95

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Last post in this thread. One CAN do anything they damn well please.

Just because Montgomery County or Birmingham decided to let the good ol' boys carry does not mean that everywhere in the state will allow it. I fully understand the law and I fully understand it is legal. I was one of the co-founders of alabamagunrights.org (a now defunct gun rights site and forum.)

Please do not tell people they CAN OC without a license and they will be just fine anywhere in AL. You would be giving some possibly very damaging and costly advice.
Hasta la bye-bye.

I never said "just fine." Please be careful in how you represent what I say. When I said "can" in the post we went back and forth on, I was replying to thing you were saying "can't" be done, which were unmitigatedly, unmistakeably, unredeemably FALSE. I am sorry that my having absolutely refuted your false statements made you feel the need to leave.

It is absolutely legal for folks to OC in Alabama without a permit. If you check out the thread I started when I joined, you can explore the research I was assisted through to establish this FACT absolutely in my own mind. I was initially incredibly skeptical.

Also, if you have read other posts by me, you will see that I routinely speak out against willy-nilly OC. As a matter of fact, I have specifically sought information on local department policy from both the sheriff and MPD and will not OC in Montgomery until I get a response from MPD. I already have a letter from the sheriff.

We can make both the point that OC is legal and the point that some LEOs may operate out of ignorance by being factual and not arbitrarily throwing around the word "can't" for a whole variety of things that we CAN.

As I said, Hasta la bye-bye.

Kingfish

imported post

eye95 wrote:
OK, that's one ferinstance (albeit sans boot to the head). Shall I post dozens of links to OCers being flat ignored by LEOs?

BTW, we are getting one side of the story. I'd be willing to bet the OCer did something more than he related. If he had calmly and immediately exited the premises, not making a scene with "nazi" remarks, got in his truck, and left, I'd bet money the cops wouldn't have even had time to show up.

He hung around on the premises after being asked to leave.

I'd like to see the police report and judge for myself what happened after hearing both sides.

The fact remains that OC happens all the time in Alabama--without incident.
Wow, you read all 13 pages and know all the background that quick. Very impressive. Both sides of the story are on those pages as well as other posts.

I don't doubt OC is practiced where it is allowed and by those the local LEO allows but you absolutely would be false to say that carry in all counties in AL is allowed.

Why don't you go OC into a Sheriffs department or a grade school in Auburn or Huntsville and let us know what happens....Both legal by the way.