• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Small State v. California

Edward Peruta

imported post

The State of Connecticut is about the size of San Diego County and has approximately the same number of residents.

I received an email this morning from back in CT and thought it would be interesting to California residents.

From the March issue of the magazine "GUNS AND AMMO" on page 14

"In Connecticut, "the issuing of pistol permits increased this year* by 53 percent from 2008," the Middletown Press reports. "There is also a 14 percent increase in the renewal of permits. In 2008, 9601 new permits were issued, along with 26,457 renewed licenses. As of Nov 24, 2009, more than 14,660 new permits have been issued, and the number of renewed licenses is currently currently just above 26,450." Says Department of Public Safety office supervisor Diane Morrel, "Gun sales and permitting have hiked since Obama took office."

[align=left]* the 'this year' probably refers to 2009[/align]

Edward Peruta

imported post

CONNECTICUT FACTS:

CT hasa population of 3,501,252.

CT has 5544 square miles

Connecticut has approximately 156,000 active permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers

SAN DIEGO FACTS:

San Diego has a population of 3,001,072

San Diego County has 4261 square miles

The number of active CCWs in San Diego County is unknown.

mjones

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
CONNECTICUT FACTS:

CT hasa population of 3,501,252.

CT has 5544 square miles

Connecticut has approximately 156,000 active permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers

SAN DIEGO FACTS:

San Diego has a population of 3,001,072

San Diego County has 4261 square miles

The number of active CCWs in San Diego County is unknown.

Here is an excerpt supposedly from 2006 at: http://concealedcarryholsters.org/california-ccw-holder-stats/

San Diego County–population 2,918,300, 1540 permits, 0.052% issuance

I know the 2007 stats have been published by the CA DoJ, which I think is the latest published data.

Edit, here are the official 1987 through 2007 numbers by county http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ccwissuances2007.pdf

coolusername2007

imported post

Freedom in the 50 States rankings comparison:

Connecticut:

• Fiscal Policy = 26
  • Regulatory Policy = 42
  • Economic Freedom = 38
  • Personal Freedom = 38
  • Overall Freedom Ranking = 41
California:

• Fiscal Policy = 44
  • Regulatory Policy = 46