• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading ?

mdinnie

imported post

Hello all,
Does anyone know where I can find reloading components in NOVA?
Ordering powder and primers online is too expensive when factoring in the hazardous shipping fee.
I've been buying components at the gun show but would rather find a shop with more regular hours...
Thanks for your suggestions.

9mmderringer

imported post

I know that Dawson's in Woodbridge has some reloading stuff. I bought gun powder from them about two months ago. Their prices are more expensive than the gun shows, but they do carry reloading equip and supplies. Also I saw quite a bit of reloading stuff at Gander Mtn in Fredericksburg as well.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Clark Brothers in Opal has a large selection, only thing I don't remember seeing is bullet molds...
There's no hazmat fee on molds. Get them online but look here for used molds first.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

I use a lot of Lee molds and get them from MidSouth. They have the same prices as Midway and they don't rape you on shipping.

If you shoot a lot, buy bulk powder. I buy some in 25 pound kegs.

Get once fired or range scrounge brass. I usually pay 30.00 a thousand.

nova

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
It's been a while since I've been, but last year I saw reloading components at Sharpshooters (Formerly Gilberts) in Lorton
STAY AWAY!!!

(so there's more left for me! :p )

That's where I get my cast bullets (with member discount) and where I used to get powder and primers before the shortage.

allenjeremy

imported post

The shop at bull run trap shooting range. If they don't have what you need they will special order things for you, I think they waive the hazmat fee because your stuff comes in on their shipment they already pay hazmat on. Hope this helps. j

mdinnie

imported post

Thanks Everyone.

I think an entrepreneurial type person should look into opening another shop inside the beltway. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about opening a business of any kind.

When considering the activity at the NRA range and membership numbers of the Fairfax/Arlington Izaac Walton league, I believe there is good demand for a shop that could stock a lot of reloading supplies.

Maybe people who don't reload now would start if there was a place with equipment and knowledgeable staff?

I've been reloading since I was old enough to shoot (outside of Philadelphia) and have never had such a problem finding a local store that sold components, dies, tools, etc. (I live in Arlington now). I've been driving back up to PA to find a place with a reliable inventory.

I'm also surprised at all the people I see that don't seem to want there spent brass.