• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry rally!

OCinColorado

imported post

I'm new here but I would love it if we could put together an "OPEN CARRY RALLY" here in Colorado Springs. Are there enough of us to do such a thing? It could be set up as a rally in support of the 2nd Amendment and have a bunch of us carry to the event! I see that there are quite a few of us in the Springs area and On top of that I am sure we all know of many others who may be interested. What say you?

Please respond if there is any interest in such an event!

OCinColorado

imported post

tpain wrote:
I'm very interested.
Don't have any place or date planned yet but would love to have a large gathering. I know some of the gatherings of the past in the Denver area have been at restaurants.

I am thinking more on the lines of an outdoor gathering similar to the format of the "tea parties". We could maybe have a booth addressing the 2nd amendment and maybe even have a speaker or two. Any ideas? Does anyone know if Colorado Springs OC laws allow OC in the city parks. I do know that OC is NOT allowed in any city owned buildings but I do not know about parks.

cscitney87

imported post

Not to knock our Colorado section: but we seem to be very lacking in public organization: compared to Michigan and other State sections. I'm actually really surprised at the lack of Meet Ups- but at the same time- Coloradans are busy. Maybe not more so than Michiganders: but that's the idea I get. We are all just out and about doing our thing.. not sure why there isn't an overwhelming push to meet up once a week or once a month. I always thought Coloradans were the most passionate about such meetings and group events. I support a gathering, of course.

ZackL

imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
tpain wrote:
I'm very interested.
Don't have any place or date planned yet but would love to have a large gathering. I know some of the gatherings of the past in the Denver area have been at restaurants.

I am thinking more on the lines of an outdoor gathering similar to the format of the "tea parties". We could maybe have a booth addressing the 2nd amendment and maybe even have a speaker or two. Any ideas? Does anyone know if Colorado Springs OC laws allow OC in the city parks. I do know that OC is NOT allowed in any city owned buildings but I do not know about parks.

I'm up for it. I have trouble making it to some places because of the hour drive to get to I-25, but I would definitely make it. The only thing that I would question is... Could this be viewed as an armed protest? That seems like a real possibility and a danger that we should consider before setting up a "rally". It sounds like a great idea and I agree with CS on this, we should have more. We may be busy, but this is also a very important part of life for us as well.

I think it would be wise to stress this now though (as I'm sure it will come across somebody else's mind), OC because you are trying to protect yourself, not because you want to make a statement. I like the idea of more meets, but I also am weary of how many people it would attract because it's "cool" or because they want to piss of the government. Open Carry should be, first and foremost, about protecting yourself and those around you.

OC in parks may be banned by the city, but they have to post signs at every entrance to the park.

Anyway, if you need some help, I'm not the best organizer, but I am pretty good at acquiring supplies.

Edited for Clarification.

Pace

imported post

I don't get it, what are we rallying about? I dont know any issues (minus denver) about OC in Colorado :)

Kingfish

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Not to knock our Colorado section: but we seem to be very lacking in public organization: compared to Michigan and other State sections. I'm actually really surprised at the lack of Meet Ups- but at the same time- Coloradans are busy. Maybe not more so than Michiganders: but that's the idea I get. We are all just out and about doing our thing.. not sure why there isn't an overwhelming push to meet up once a week or once a month. I always thought Coloradans were the most passionate about such meetings and group events. I support a gathering, of course.
I think part of the reason is that you have it so good in CO. There is just not that much to rally against.

Pace

imported post

If you really want to do a rally, do something worthwhile -- rally against the chinese persecution of the Tibetans, while open carrying. That would get interesting attention.

cscitney87

imported post

kingfish wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
I think part of the reason is that you have it so good in CO. There is just not that much to rally against.
You could say that again!

Pace

imported post

Eh? My point is that a rally for OpenCarry implies that OC is something abnormal, "different."

Do a rally for something else, like pointing out in China there are NO rights, while OCing. Then the point is made that you aren't "OCing" for the purpose of protest, but that its part of daily life. You can protest or do a rally for "anything" you'd want.

I'm ignoring the rest, because it shows extreme ignorance on your part of both myself and the word. Maybe I'll come down to Colorado Springs when I'm next at the USAFA and we can speak about your ignorance in person, if you chose.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

RockyMtn,

Pace is certainly not an agent provocateurs. We need to focus on those who are truly against our cause and not have so much in-fighting.

Thanks.

John

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
Pace wrote:
If you really want to do a rally, do something worthwhile -- rally against the chinese persecution of the Tibetans, while open carrying. That would get interesting attention.
thus sayeth one of the resident agent provocateurs

OCinColorado

imported post

I never meant that we need to protest anything about OC in Colorado. I am very glad we have that right and I practice OC every day. I was just wanting to have some form of a rally "tea party style" and have the majority of those attending said rally to be carrying!

cscitney87

imported post

What a dream come true! CC without a permit! Now that IS something to rally for. The concealed carry issue is hidden in plain sight. It's the elephant in the room. But I will go out on a limb and say, unless you are a die-hard Libertarian/Constitutionalists- most people are generally supportive of a requirement of training to conceal a handgun. Not sure why- just a lot of people don't think "just anybody" should have a pistol. Lots and lots of people, even on this board, believe you should have to prove yourself to your government first before carrying a handgun either way.

OCinColorado

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
What a dream come true! CC without a permit! Now that IS something to rally for. The concealed carry issue is hidden in plain sight. It's the elephant in the room. But I will go out on a limb and say, unless you are a die-hard Libertarian/Constitutionalists- most people are generally supportive of a requirement of training to conceal a handgun. Not sure why- just a lot of people don't think "just anybody" should have a pistol. Lots and lots of people, even on this board, believe you should have to prove yourself to your government first before carrying a handgun either way.
My issue with CC permits is that "Big Brother" then knows who has the concealed weapon, IMHO this is NOT a good thing. My attitude on this point is also that the law abiding citizen needs to be allowed, w/o permits to carry concealed because the gang bangers and other such criminal elements carry w/o a permit all the time.