• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry rally!

CaveMan

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
If we're going to have a rally, it ought to be about six inches outside of Denver. It would be aworthwhile goalto get the media talking about Denver's lunacy.
Now that's an idea

Pace

imported post

Interesting idea. As I mentioned, make the rally about something else.

Ie, apply for the permit as "Protesting blah blah..."

cscitney87 wrote:
Flyer22 wrote:
If we're going to have a rally, it ought to be about six inches outside of Denver. It would be aworthwhile goalto get the media talking about Denver's lunacy.
Exactly my point! You got it.

cscitney87

imported post

There's a lot a lot a lot of cash to be made off of issuing permits. Does anybody here honestly believe that Jeffco needs $100 to do what they do for a CHP? " It takes our government 90 days to do 15 minutes of work." I overheard that today at the Jeffco Sheriff's office from another gentlemen applying.

Pace

imported post

While I have a problem wth CHP permits etc, I don't have problems in general with LOCAL permits, etc. The local government does a lot usualyl for its locals. The federal government, on the other hand, spends my money in Iraq bribing locals there.

cscitney87 wrote:
There's a lot a lot a lot of cash to be made off of issuing permits. Does anybody here honestly believe that Jeffco needs $100 to do what they do for a CHP? " It takes our government 90 days to do 15 minutes of work." I overheard that today at the Jeffco Sheriff's office from another gentlemen applying.

OCinColorado

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
So, where is there a park, vacant lot, parking lot or some such location accross the street from Denver city limits in which we could get permission from whom ever owns said property so we can organize a rally in order to bring Denver's lunacy to light?

Pace

imported post

Again, it's quite stupid to me to have rallies specifically to point out OC. The idea of OC is that we aren't just "protesting" but that OC is just something done on a daily basis for people. We aren't making a point.

Doing a rally makes us seem like we are making a point.

Cleaning up trash is cleaning up trash.

Suburban78

imported post

Pace wrote:
Again, it's quite stupid to me to have rallies specifically to point out OC. The idea of OC is that we aren't just "protesting" but that OC is just something done on a daily basis for people. We aren't making a point.

Doing a rally makes us seem like we are making a point.

Cleaning up trash is cleaning up trash.

Trash pick up is a great idea! I have wanted to do this for a long time and was just waiting for warm weather. Now we do an OC trash day and it's not us proving a point about OC rather OC'ers taking the time to better our community! Let's get this going...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Why not do something like a picnic or cookout? A bunch of good people - families, children, singles, professional, blue collar, even the family pets - everybody doing that which good citizens do.......................while OCing.

IMHO that is how you normalize OC. That is how you gain acceptance - just being good citizens and oh, did I mention it, while OCing.

2 or 3 get together, set a place, time and date. Do NOT open it for debate or suggestions - you'll still be talking next winter. :?

Plan it, they will come. :) Pot luck works well - everybody brings something.

Yata hey

CaveMan

imported post

I actually like the idea of trash pick up. Maybe we can do it somewhere were we border Denver. Shows people that we are here to help the community and that were the good guys.

I will participate in that.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I definitely like the idea of a trash pick-up or a picnic waaaaaay over a rally.

Pace

imported post

Another good idea: do a rally against "Violence against women." Women who carry are less likely to be victims.

trash works fine, i've done a few OC like that.

AZ2CO09

imported post

Flyer22 - I couldn't agree with you more. The Denver/Saudi Aurora border would be the most effective area to rally at. I support a rally is CS, but I believe your idea would capture more media attention. I agree we need an issue to rally around. That issue should be demanding that our so-called representatives here vote to assert Colorado's 10th Amendment rights. By doing so, that will nullify all the anti-2A Federal Gun Control Laws and bring real reform to Colorado.

Rally+OC+Issue+Media Coverage=Success

(...and my wife tells me that I am bad at math)

Flyer22 wrote:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Firepower wrote:
Flyer22 - I couldn't agree with you more. The Denver/Saudi Aurora border would be the most effective area to rally at. I support a rally is CS, but I believe your idea would capture more media attention. I agree we need an issue to rally around. That issue should be demanding that our so-called representatives here vote to assert Colorado's 10th Amendment rights. By doing so, that will nullify all the anti-2A Federal Gun Control Laws and bring real reform to Colorado.

Rally+OC+Issue+Media Coverage=Success

(...and my wife tells me that I am bad at math)

Flyer22 wrote:
Understand that when you hold an "in-your-face" rally that the media will likely put a negative spin on it. Always, please, consider all possible outcomes before proceeding.

Not to say that rallies are sometimes not only good, but that they may be the only good way to get attention - we do a Lobby Day rally where thousands attend - and we lobby the individual lawmakers one on one, or in small groups.

Suggest that you formally present well thought out submissions to your state legislature members - get in touch with them and stay in touch.

Day to day normal OC wherever and whenever you can is effective. Get actively involved with other pro RKBA groups in your state.

Yata hey

Pace

imported post

That's why i suggested doing a rally/trashpickup for another cause. I like protesting violence against women or something and handing out fliers for women to OC/conceal carry classes.

May as well do something for others too instead of just saying "here we are."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pace wrote:
That's why i suggested doing a rally/trashpickup for another cause. I like protesting violence against women or something and handing out fliers for women to OC/conceal carry classes.

May as well do something for others too instead of just saying "here we are."
Something like this tends to make allies of other groups that might not align themselves with us too. Good thinking.

Yata hey

Pace

imported post

As I always said in this case, anyone has a right to OC becaues its a RIGHT. However, how about educating people, even helping those with CCW permits (for women etc).

There is nothing wrong with doing good also.

bogidu

imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
What a dream come true! CC without a permit! Now that IS something to rally for. The concealed carry issue is hidden in plain sight. It's the elephant in the room. But I will go out on a limb and say, unless you are a die-hard Libertarian/Constitutionalists- most people are generally supportive of a requirement of training to conceal a handgun. Not sure why- just a lot of people don't think "just anybody" should have a pistol. Lots and lots of people, even on this board, believe you should have to prove yourself to your government first before carrying a handgun either way.
My issue with CC permits is that "Big Brother" then knows who has the concealed weapon, IMHO this is NOT a good thing. My attitude on this point is also that the law abiding citizen needs to be allowed, w/o permits to carry concealed because the gang bangers and other such criminal elements carry w/o a permit all the time.
Well, as one of those "die-hard Libertarians" I agree that we should not need a permit to CC. However having said that, I also firmly believe that anyone thinking they should carry should be trained, not just walk into a gunshop and walk out with a 9 in their jacket. Of course I also believe in a "one-strike, you're out and capital punishment laws for violent crimes" but hey that would actually be holding people responsible for their actions now wouldn't it?

cscitney87

imported post

Bogidu I think we all have the same thoughts from time to time. We want 100% equality and for everybody to have equal access to firearms. We want to carry firearms however we want, whenever we want; and accept that everyone else may as well. The Devil's Advocate may say that we can't have that many "untrained" gun toting civilians amongst our children, etc etc. I fall somewhere in between. I actually don't mind Colorado's State Laws right now, but I would Vote for Constitutional Carry. I would vote to make it legal to carry concealed without a permit. I don't mind, though, because having the permit sure is an acknowledgment of basic firearms safety training; and as such- the holder is granted broader access and freedoms in carrying a firearm.

I don't want "everyone" out there concealing pistols; but I don't want ANYBODY to be denied a basic right for any reason. There's a saying; It's better to let 20 guilty men go Free then to put One innocent man behind bars.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
snip.....
I don't want "everyone" out there concealing pistols; but I don't want ANYBODY to be denied a basic right for any reason. There's a saying; It's better to let 20 guilty men go Free then to put One innocent man behind bars.
Problem is that we are doing both right now. :?

Yata hey

OCinColorado

imported post

I guess I'm going to do the next best thing to a rally right now and go to IHOP this Saturday at 8:00am for coffee with other OCers. If you don't know already it is the one by the Citidel Mall on Chelton, just north of Platte. Actually I plan on getting there a little early.