• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in belt holster only?

greg36f

imported post

California penal code section 12025 states in part

(f) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed
within the meaning of this section.

Does this mean that you must carry your weapon openly only in a belt holster? If this is not so, why does the law specify a belt holster? Is there case law, or any other statutes that clear this up?

Is this open to interpretation to the arresting officer or DA?

wewd

imported post

It is merely an example of what is not concealed, and is not to be construed as the only legal method. Any firearm carried in plain sight is obviously not concealed.

greg36f

imported post

wewd wrote:
It is merely an example of what is not concealed, and is not to be construed as the only legal method. Any firearm carried in plain sight is obviously not concealed.

I get that, but my point is that the law CLEARLY states "belt holster"....I can see an officer reading that law, looking at a open carrier with another type of holster and making the arrest,,,,,,,,,

Not saying that it would happen, but if you are gonna open carry, you really should have a defense for this other that "it's common sense".

I just put this out there for discussion and thought......

It can be those stupid, small, picky things that come back to bite you....

heliopolissolutions

imported post

greg36f wrote:
I get that, but my point is that the law CLEARLY states "belt holster"....I can see an officer reading that law, looking at a open carrier with another type of holster and making the arrest,,,,,,,,,

Not saying that it would happen, but if you are gonna open carry, you really should have a defense for this other that "it's common sense".

Your point is well taken. My shoulder holster is not what one could consider a belt holster. The fact that there is, to my knowledge, no case law further refining this section of the PC indicates to me that people have as of yet not been arrested for carrying drop-leg or with a shoulder holster with regards to 12025 (f). Which by extention might indicate that it is in fact wholly legal to carry in such a manner.

On the other hand, there are many instances where activities which are de jure illegal are not enforced as such. This may be one where a court might decide that there is an imaginary "only" preceding the written words of 12025 (f).

The argument that says "laws indicate what is prohibited, not what is legal" simplifies this, as there is no "only" we can take some measure of comfort in knowing that belt holsters are 100%, and other such methods of "open" are those that involve commen sense and a following of the spirit of the law.

greg36f

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
greg36f wrote:

Your point is well taken. My shoulder holster is not what one could consider a belt holster. The fact that there is, to my knowledge, no case law further refining this section of the PC indicates to me that people have as of yet not been arrested for carrying drop-leg or with a shoulder holster with regards to 12025 (f). Which by extention might indicate that it is in fact wholly legal to carry in such a manner.

On the other hand, there are many instances where activities which are de jure illegal are not enforced as such. This may be one where a court might decide that there is an imaginary "only" preceding the written words of 12025 (f).

The argument that says "laws indicate what is prohibited, not what is legal" simplifies this, as there is no "only" we can take some measure of comfort in knowing that belt holsters are 100%, and other such methods of "open" are those that involve commen sense and a following of the spirit of the law.

Fair enough, I agree with you; but with growth of open carry and the heightened awareness of open carry, nothing should be overlooked. You need to walk that fine line between paranoia and awareness.

wewd

imported post

(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

12025(a)(2) is the operative paragraph of the law which you most likely know well as a law enforcement officer. Unless you meet the requirements of that paragraph, which is concealing on or about the person, then you are not violating the law. An openly carried firearm is not concealed on or about the person. I could sew a holster onto my hat and carry my gun that way and I would not be violating the law.

You can't charge someone with 12025(f). It's just one example of what is not concealed. You could delete (f) from the law and it would change nothing.

Mike Hawk

imported post

greg36f wrote:

within the meaning of this section,except in San Pedro.
Fixed it for ya!! :D

Army

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Mike Hunt wrote:
greg36f wrote:

within the meaning of this section,except in San Pedro.
Fixed it for ya!! :D

Hahaha!
That was the main reason for my carrying that day in the Hogue Speed holster. The ONLY gun part covered is the trigger guard :)

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

wewd wrote:
(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

12025(a)(2) is the operative paragraph of the law which you most likely know well as a law enforcement officer. Unless you meet the requirements of that paragraph, which is concealing on or about the person, then you are not violating the law. An openly carried firearm is not concealed on or about the person. I could sew a holster onto my hat and carry my gun that way and I would not be violating the law.

You can't charge someone with 12025(f). It's just one example of what is not concealed. You could delete (f) from the law and it would change nothing.
+1

wewd

imported post

Ranchero wrote:
How about a shotgun? As long as it is on a slinger you are fine right?

You can carry a shotgun under a coat if you like. CA's concealed carry law does not apply to long guns. See my previous post where I quote the law.

greg36ff

imported post

wewd wrote:

I do not take sides in this debate. I do not think that open carry is a good idea, but I WILL RESPECT YOUR RIGHT TO DO SO and I willdefend your right to do so. You havemore of a friend here that your probably believe.

I simplylike to point out thought provoking stuff that we all should be aware of.

Not everyone is aware of EVERY law out there and discussion and exposure helps to educate people..

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but as an intelligent member of this board who also happens to be a police officer, I am surprised that you haven't inquired about these things to your superiors who would have contact with the local DA.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

wewd wrote:

You are of course correct.

However, 12031 (e) gives, through its wording, probably cause for arrest for violation of that section.

"(e) In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for
the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized
to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory.
Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to
this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of
this section."

So you understand how its possible for people to get the impression that each further subdivision, clarification and definition of the law could consititue a violation.

Just sayin.

wewd

imported post

heliopolissolutions, I don't understand what your point is in referencing 12031, that is a completely separate law from 12025. One governs carrying concealed handguns, the other loaded firearms (any firearm).

greg36ff (or greg36f, multiple personality disorder?), I was not trying to be adversarial with that comment. I was merely pointing out where the whole open vs. concealed concept hinges on, which is section (a)(2). Since the law does not define what precisely constitutes concealed, except to say that openly carried on a belt holster is not concealed, it's basically up to the carrier and the officer to use their own common sense on the issue. Section (f) is not a requirement, but an example. If it said something like, "firearms must be carried openly on belt holsters" then that would be a requirement and we would all have to carry that way.

In Arizona, you can open carry with your shirt hanging down over the gun, but as long as a piece of the holster is visible, it's still legal. California does not have any comparable definition. Some might say that partial concealment triggers the violation, but doesn't a holster partially conceal every gun? A guy was arrested in Michigan because the cop said his holster was covering part of the gun, therefore it was concealed. No matter that the cop saw him with the holstered gun from a hundred feet away and made the detainment.

Concealment is really about intent. When you Terry-stop a suspected gangmember and shake him down for weapons and you find a little .380 in his pocket, it's obvious that the gun is concealed and his intent was to conceal it. But if you see a guy in line at Starbucks with a drop-leg rig on, it's obviously open carry and his intent was to open carry. Like pullnshoot said, open means open. If the casual observer can see the piece and identify it as a gun, it's probably safe to say that it's not concealed, unless it's printing through clothing or something to that effect.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Wewd:

"Violation" of 12025 (f) does not exist.

Violation of 12031 (e) does exist.

The idea thatportions of a PCthat qualify the operative phrase of a PC are seperate laws of their own come from the fact that indeed, an individual can be arrested for not acting in compliance with a subunit of a code.

Like I said you are correct. The only way a person could be charged with 12025 violation..is with a 12025 violation. Although I am surprised and a little dissapointed that a LEO was unable or unwilling to understand that particular PC, I wouldn't be surprised if your average citizen failed to make that distinction--as the converse is sometimes true.

wewd

imported post

Ranchero wrote:
I am planing on bringing a shotgun to Redland next Thursday.   Any advice? My first time to UOC by the way.

Don't. The open carry movement is not ready for long guns yet. We're having enough of a fight for our holstered handguns, we don't need to bring rifles and shotguns into the mix right now.

If you don't have a handgun to carry, but want to, let us know and one might be available for you to borrow. And you don't absolutely have to carry to come to the meets. We're okay with anyone who shows up whether they carry or not.