• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bonehead arrested for public drunkenness while UOCing in San Bruno

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Always bad for folks to drink while open carrying - publicity nightmare - but this guy was actually intoxicated which is acrime in itself even in a bar.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

To: Christian George Gonzalez

Damn you, sir. Damn you for being irresponsible and mucking things up further. Carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility: loaded, unloaded, concealed, unconcealed--it matters not.

When the shots come down the bar, the guns go in the car.

Take Care.

OPS MARINE

imported post

Thankfully, that story doesn't reflect any ill mention on the firearm. Just the dumbass. Damn him. Damn him. Hopefully he has learned his lesson...at least not to take the firearm with him next time. Damn him.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

As negative as this guy's actions were to the movement, I would like to point out that the chief deputy district attorney did not prosecute Gonzales with any firearm enhanced crime.

While I dont endorse intoxicated carry of firearms, I believe this is a sliver of asilver lining- that open carry is not resulting in additional charges even when there is an unrelated violation.

dirtykoala

imported post

If only the sherrif had issued a ccw with a no drinking stipulation...

onedavetoomany

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/crime/detail?entry_id=59166&tsp=1

Can't say I've heard of this guy though. He's definitely not one of the forum members unless he is a lurker. Bottom line: be on your best behavior if you're UOCing, if you're not then even the pro-OCers will look down on you.

I'd just like to point out that we are hearing one side of the story. Given the negative comments made in the past by the San Mateo County Sheriff and the East Palo Alto Detective, it's not far out to think this guy might have been wrongfully accused. We should at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's obvious that someone in the police department notified the SF Chronicle about the arrest to create negative publicity for the movement. No one else would have these facts. The whole story sounds suspicious and this guy is innocent until proven guilty.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Way I see it. . . have a drink or two, whatever you can handle without getting intoxicated. If you are too drunk to drive you are too drunk to effectively handle a weapon in self-defense and should not then be carrying. . . a gun.

Rich Keagy

imported post

(devil's advocate here)
Drunks don't have 2A rights?
Drunks can't be allowed to defend themselves?
I'm just askin'.
And why is being drunk in public a crime anyway?

dirtykoala

imported post

Rich Keagy wrote:
(devil's advocate here)
Drunks don't have 2A rights?
Drunks can't be allowed to defend themselves?
I'm just askin'.
And why is being drunk in public a crime anyway?

I'm not saying no, they don't have rights, and I do think that drunk in public is stupid, but most of us are on the up and up while carrying. We go so far as to not jay walk, we try to be extra polite to people, we try to not dress like slobs... We get hammered and ask a cop if they want to check us??????

Ca Patriot

imported post

There is no law that prohibits a person who is drinking from open carrying (that I can find). In addition, I believe off duty law enforcement officers are allowed to CCW while drunk or drinkingin public.

dirtykoala

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
There is no law that prohibits a person who is drinking from open carrying (that I can find).   In addition, I believe off duty law enforcement officers are allowed to CCW while drunk or drinking in public. 
it just doesn't reflect well on the uoc movement.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Ca Patriot wrote:
There is no law that prohibits a person who is drinking from open carrying (that I can find). In addition, I believe off duty law enforcement officers are allowed to CCW while drunk or drinkingin public.
it just doesn't reflect well on the uoc movement.
Yep. And it will be used against us from within. As SouthBayr said, get used to it. We'll inevitably see more stupid stuff like this.