• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why confusion reigns in Seattle gun ban ruling

joeroket

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
Whether or not you support me or approve of my methods, I am spending my own time and money fighting for the right to bear arms for EVERYONE, not just for a state fortunate enough to have a strong state constitutional right and a preemption statute.

Bob, first I support your rights to carry and to litigate.  I am not so sure that your arguments have been as clear as SAF et al.

I think that after McDonald that your case will be remanded, but the real questions lie with which 'scrutiny' tests the court establishes.

Best of luck!

Agreed; strict scrutiny and I win, rational basis and I lose. Mid level will be interesting!

I think the fed judges would allow it pass strict scrutiny as well if you take some of the wording from Heller into play. A park where children frequent is not much different than a school, which heller has said is reasonable restriction.

We better all hope that SCOTUS is smart enough to realize that parks and park facilities that are generally open to everyone are a whole lot different than schools!

The issue on each is public safety, which I do not agree with, and I think they will determine that gun regulation in parks is a states issue. Also since we are dealing with a fundamental right you are all but guaranteed a strict scrutiny analysis. I believe it may very well pass strict scrutiny but we will have to wait and see for sure to see how McDonald incorporates the 2nd.

I would like to see guns allowed by CPL holders in the school buildings at a minimum but we all know that won't happen. I would also like to see Nickels personally liable for violating the law, but we also know that will not happen.

XD45PlusP

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
XD45PlusP wrote:
Bob, that's why I am bringing up what I wrote in the post above yours.

Also, per state courts

Findings of fact must support conclusions of law.

Unchallenged findings of fact are verities on appeal.

XD
The only issue in Chan is and will forever be the state preemption statute.

Exactly. I think the city is full of crap and Dave might have misspoken, or quoted direct BS....

XD

XD45PlusP

imported post

joeroket,

"The issue on each is public safety, which I do not agree with, and I think they will determine that gun regulation in parks is a states issue."

And that is up to the state legislature, which has not said that it is against any state law. I think that you might have it the opposite of what you might be trying to say.

(As an example) :arrow:It can't be for public safety, as the state is not suing itself to get the legislature to overturn a law that it doesn't like, ie guns in parks, saying it's bound to make a law saying its unlawful to possess a gun on park property. Just think about it...... They can just create a newlaw. They don't have to sue to overturn ANYTHING. Citizens of the state would have to sue to prove the Unconstitutionality of the law....

Bob is right in that, WA State Courts/Appeals and SCare not bound by a federal judges ruling for state issues that don't abridge a Federal Constitutional Right.

XD

joeroket

imported post

XD45PlusP wrote:
joeroket,

"The issue on each is public safety, which I do not agree with, and I think they will determine that gun regulation in parks is a states issue."

And that is up to the state legislature, which has not said that it is against any state law. I think that you might have it the opposite of what you might be trying to say.

(As an example) :arrow: It can't be for public safety, as the state is not suing itself to get the legislature to overturn a law that it doesn't like, ie guns in parks, saying it's bound to make a law saying its unlawful to possess a gun on park property. Just think about it...... They can just create a newlaw. They don't have to sue to overturn ANYTHING. Citizens of the state would have to sue to prove the Unconstitutionality of the law....

Bob is right in that, WA State Courts/Appeals and SC are not bound by a federal judges ruling for state issues that don't abridge a Federal Constitutional Right.

XD

I think you have some confusion going on. I have nothing backwards.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
The only facts at issue in my case, and in Chan, are not in dispute: We went to parks facilities and got turned away for carrying.
That is also not correct. Every single individual plaintiff was ruled to have standing in the Chan case, including myself who didn't suffer the indignity of having to go through the hoop of "getting banned" from Seattle Parks facility, namely myself.

Seattle only vigorously started going after the Chan plaintiff's standing after you so publicly and gratuitously questioned our standing and started stating that we did not have standing because of Heller (therefor assuming that the Navegar standard applied nationwide). If you were a good federal appellate attorney on constitutional issues, you would know that Navegar only applied to the District of Columbia.

Seattle only started making noises about appealing the ruling you made "unpersuasive" arguments to Judge Pechman (her words, not mine) in your oral argument on 3/2/2010. Since I don't have the transcripts, perhaps you can answer this question: Did Judge Pechman indicate in court that she was going to rule against you on the state constitutional arguments from the way she was speaking with both parties?

Also, an inquiry:

Whether or not you support me or approve of my methods, I am spending my own time and money fighting for the right to bear arms for EVERYONE, not just for a state fortunate enough to have a strong state constitutional right and a preemption statute.

There are only two states in the 9th Circuit (the highest point of guaranteed appeal for you, there is no such things as "guaranteed appeal to SCOTUS" in a case such as this) which doesn't have a good RKBA provision (California has none, Hawaii's is nominally bad). Since you have no guarantee that it will go to SCOTUS, have you considered the effects of your case on Sykes v McGinness, the current "Bear arms" case that's pending in the district court in California and will likely end up in the 9th Circuit?

Have you considered, at all, speaking with the folks in California that may be adversely affected by a bad three judge panel deciding wrongly in your appeal that the cities have the right to regulate guns on their property under the US constitution? or perhaps declaring that there's no right to bear arms outside of the home, using your case as a vehicle to do this? Federal judges, like what Pechman did here, sometimes use cases such as this to try to stick in their personal prejudices and "make new law". Regardless of how wrong the decision is, there's no method of effective reversal after a bad 3 judge panel decision (en banc panels are rare, and SCOTUS reviews even more so), and it only happened in Nordyke because of Heller, which was our one and only shot of wiping the "collective rights" lie clean.

Your case has a strong possibility of causing people in California and Hawaii being unable to have the capability of defending themselves effectively in the long term. Do you have the appellate experience to be able to stare down a 3-judge panel and basically by your very presence, tell the judges if they mess up by writing a bad decision, you can get to SCOTUS and embarrass the panel by an overturn, especially when your only two times you've asked for certiorari to the Supreme Court, it has been granted?

Dave Workman

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
That was sure disrespectful... I don't understand where that is coming from.

I don't understand? What which one was disrespectful, Dave Workman's article, M1Gunr's post, or deanf's comment? And why?

Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to get the "disrespectful" thing. I better try to get more in touch with my feminine side.
A little too much information, there, AJP :what::lol:

Dave Workman

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
"Because Warden also brought the park ban’s legality into question under the state constitution, Pechman allowed herself to rule on the ban’s constitutionality under Article 1, Section 24. This is an area where some attorneys have privately suggested she should never have been tempted to go, but that the Warden lawsuit opened that door. She slammed it shut, thus giving Seattle a new ground on which to base its appeal of the SAF/NRA case."

False; a federal district judge ruling on state law has no precedential value of any kind on state courts.

"Warden has appealed Pechman’s ruling. His case may not move beyond that notice of appeal before the Second Amendment ruling on the Chicago gun ban case is decided by SCOTUS. At that point, it is likely his complaint becomes moot."

False; my complaint cannot be rendered moot - remember, I suffered actual harm.

"Warden was funding this out of his own pocket, and when he appealed to a gun rights forum last month for financial support, he got a rather chilly reception from several people. That is an irony in its own right, since on the same forum, for Open Carry activists, more than a few of them originally regarded Warden as the guy with the stronger case."

Gratuitously smug; a chilly reception from five people who would rather throw eggs from the sideline than risk anything themselves is to be expected.

"A week before Pechman issued her ruling Warden actually visited the SAF office and met privately with SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. Perhaps it is a shame that meeting didn’t happen last fall, before Warden launched his federal lawsuit. There might have been a different outcome, or at least one that limited Pechman’s opinion to federal constitutional issues, where it belonged."

Alan invited me to visit to thank me for my help and cooperation in Chan! "where it belonged" is not factual reporting, either.

Bob:

I would be delighted to do a one-on-one interview with you for my Examiner column.

Gimme a call at your convenience

Bob Warden

imported post

Gray:

As you know, Judge Shaffer dismissed NRA and SAF as plaintiffs in Chan because they lacked standing. She granted standing to all individual plaintiffs based on her understanding, whether or not correct, that all had been turned away at parks. I heard Shaffer's ruling in person, and read the transcript. BTW, it was after my discussion with your attorneys that several of your co-plaintiffs in fact did present themselves at parks and got turned away. I cured your standing problem, and you're welcome!

Pechman asked the city if they were appealing Chan prior to the start of oral argument, and city said yes. Nothing to do with the merits of my case. Oh that's right, you weren't there...

If I confused you by using the word "appeal" regarding a request for cert. to SCOTUS, my humble apologies. Anyone losing at 9th can request cert from SCOTUs, and whoever ultimately loses my case at 9th will surely do just that.

My case will be won or lost depending on the level of scrutiny applied to the Parks rule. Strict = I win. Rational = I lose. Mid-level scrutiny and I think I win. No attorney has ever been able to "stare down a 3-judge panel and basically by your very presence, tell the judges if they mess up by writing a bad decision." That's comically naive!

Bob Warden

imported post

Mr. Workman:

No thanks - I consented to an interview before, and still your tone towards my efforts is unfailingly negative (in stark contrast to your boss, Mr. Gottlieb, with whom I had a very warm, mutually respectfuland positive chat).

Bob

Bersa.380

imported post

Ya know I get sick of reading all this crap ......

The code says we don't have a right to 2A
This one says we do.

This article section [whatever] says we can't carry
This one says we can

do we or do we not have a 2A right.

Admit it Wa. State sucks ..... lets move to AZ or NM

Bobarino

imported post

don't put too much stock in Dave's articles, Bob. they are after all, opinion pieces. several times he's taken shots at open carriers too. sometimes, it's hard to tell what side he's on...

Bo

imported post

When I peruse posts on this forum, I'm oft reminded of the quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin:

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.

Readily noticeable on other RKBA internet forums as well is evidence that we, as gun rights activists (at whatever level, if only as anonymous internet commandos), are our own worst enemies. The divided stances and petty bickering among gunpeoplein public forums must surely bring glee to the Brady folks, supporters and the solidly anti-gun mainstream media, not to mention doing nothing to assurefurthering our goals.

Dave Workman

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
Ya know I get sick of reading all this crap ......

The code says we don't have a right to 2A
This one says we do.

This article section [whatever] says we can't carry
This one says we can

do we or do we not have a 2A right.

Admit it Wa. State sucks ..... lets move to AZ or NM

Well, drive carefully. And take a couple of Seattleites with you. If we can convince enough disgruntled folks to move and take a Seattleite with them (prefrably one of the carpetbagger transplants who have moved to Seattle from somewheres else!) before long, us natives will have our state back.

It's a conspiracy!

:lol:

joeroket

imported post

Bobarino wrote:
sometimes, it's hard to tell what side he's on...

Isn't that one quality of a great reporter? One that reports the facts regardless of whose side the facts support. Do you get that same reporting from any other person in our area? No you don't, you get anti-gun pushing agendas from almost every single one.