• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut: Anti-Gun Bill to be Heard Wednesday, March 17!

NickNt

imported post

Connecticut: Anti-Gun Bill to be Heard Wednesday, March 17!
Please Contact Your State Legislators!

[align=center][/i][/align]
A Public Hearing has been set for Wednesday, March 17, in the Joint Committee on Government Administration and Elections regarding Governor’s Bill 28.

Introduced at the request of Governor Jodi Rell (R), Governor’s Bill 28 would have an immeasurable impact on Connecticut's law-abiding gun owners by transferring operations of the Board of Firearm Permit Examinersto the Department of Public Safety.

If approved, an applicant who is denied a pistol permit would have to appeal to the very body, the Department of Public Safety, which rejected the permit. The removal of this currently independent board will make it harder for law-abiding gun owners to regain their pistol permits if they have been revoked or denied without proper cause.

The Public Hearing will be held on Wednesday, March 17, at 10:00 A.M. in Room 2B of the Legislative Office Building (LOB). We encourage all of our members to attend this meeting and voice your OPPOSITION to Governor’s Bill 28.

If you are unable to attend the hearing, please contact the members of the Government Administration and Election Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to defend our Second Amendment rights by OPPOSING Governor’s Bill 28. The phone number for the Joint Committee on Government Administration and Elections is 860-240-0480. Contact information on the individual members of the committee can be found listed below.

Also, please contact your State Legislators and respectfully urge them to OPPOSE Governor’s Bill 28. Contact information for your State Representative can be found by clicking here. Please click here to find contact information for your State Senator.

Government Administration and Election Committee

State Senator Gayle Slossberg (D-14) Co-Chair

Slossberg@senatedems.ct.gov

860-240-0482

State Representative James Field (D-36) Co-Chair

James.Spallone@cga.ct.gov

860-240-8585

State Senator Edward Meyer (D-12) Vice Chair

Meyer@senatedems.ct.gov

860-240-0455

State Representative Joe Aresimowicz (D-30) Vice Chair

Joe.Aresimowicz@cga.ct.gov

860-240-8585

State Senator Michael McLachlan (R-24) Ranking Member

Michael.McLachlan@cga.ct.gov

860-240-8800

State Representative John Hetherington (R-125) Ranking Member

John.Hetherington@housegop.ct.gov

860-240-8700

State Representative Thomas Drew (D-132)

Thomas.Drew@cga.ct.gov

860-240-8500

State Representative Andrew Fleischmann (D-18)

Andrew.Fleischmann@cga.ct.gov

860-240-0420

State Representative Livvy Floren (R-149)

Livvy.Floren@housegop.ct.gov

860-240-8700

State Representative Auden Grogins (D-129)

Auden.Grogins@cga.ct.gov

860-240-8585

State Representative David Labriola (R-131)

David.Labriola@housegop.ct.gov

860-240-8700

State Representative Michael Lawlor (D-99)

mlawlor99@juno.com

860-240-0530

State Representative Patricia Miller (D-145)

Patricia.Miller@cga.ct.gov

860-240-8585

State Representative Tim O’Brien (D-24)

tim@timobrien.org

860-240-8855

State Representative Peggy Reeves (D-143)
Peggy.Reeves@cga.ct.gov
860-240-8585

nra_email_divideline.jpg

[align=center]www.NRAILA.org [/align]
[align=center]Write Your Representative [/align]
[align=center]Write The Media [/align]
[align=center]Get Involved Locally [/align]
[align=center]Register To Vote [/align]
[align=center]Contribute [/align]
[align=center] [/align]
[align=center]

[align=center]Follow NRA-ILA

[/align][/align]

Please do not reply to this email as you will not receive a response. This email is a broadcast email generated by an automated system. To contact NRA-ILA call 800-392-8683.
Address: 11250 Waples Mill Road Fairfax, Virginia 22030

If you wish to be removed from this list please click this link and you will be removed immediately:

http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/U.asp?B1.2.7536.7050709* Please note: In their efforts to curb SPAM, many ISPs, servers and SPAM filters treat legitimate and legal bulk emails as SPAM. In order to ensure you receive NRA-ILA email alerts in a timely manner, please adjust your SPAM settings to accept bulk emails from the "nraila.org" and "ilaalerts.org" domains. Otherwise, there is a possibility that our email alerts will not make it to your inbox.

NickNt

imported post

I just called up each person and sent an email to everyone

beanoboy7

imported post

Just received a response!

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senate Bill 28 - AN ACT CONSOLIDATING STATE AGENCIES AND ELIMINATING CERTAIN LEGISLATIVE COMMISSIONS.

This proposal is similar to one from the 2009 legislative session. I agree with Governor Rell on her initiatives to cut spending in state government and consider consolidation and/or elimination of state agencies, boards and commissions, however, I share your concerns about the proposal moving the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners (BFPE) into the Department of Public Safety. I think we should find a way to make the BFPE more efficient without creating a potential conflict of interest.

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns.

Regards,

Michael A. McLachlan
State Senator - 24th District
Legislative Office Building #2203

Edward Peruta

imported post

Great letter and comments regarding Governor’s Bill #28:

I am Kathy Lauretano, from Lakeville, CT., which is in the 64[suP]th[/suP] House District and the 30[suP]th[/suP] Senate District. Three years ago I retired from my 23 years service as a Connecticut State Trooper, and I am a member of the National Rifle Association.

The short story that follows is to provide background context to my remarks on Bill 28.

It has been twelve years since I testified about a bill here in Hartford. I was advocating for a Civilian Review Board or Commission to investigate the handling of controversial State Police investigations. I appeared solely in my capacity as a citizen and voter, not as a representative of the State Police. Nonetheless my remarks did not endear me to my superiors. The retaliation was swift, intimidating and included an attempt to have me fired through means of a trumped up Internal Affairs investigation. Only by making the situation very public was I able to circumvent the effort and get the Internal Affairs Investigation squashed. The last thing the State Police ever want to see is focused, long-term civilian oversight of their operations.

My objections to Bill 28 are two fold. First, from what I have heard recently, the Dept. of Public Safety/Division of State Police is now actively involved in thinking up and advocating legislation that will encroach further on our State and Federal Constitutional Right to Bear Arms. As they are the premier law enforcement agency for CT, I consider that to be an overstepping of their professional boundaries and highly improper if true.

Our Founders established a civilian government structure with a strict tradition that the military is subordinate to civilian authority. This would prevent the military from creating a military dictatorship over the people. At the state level the same should apply, not simply to the National Guard, but to the para-military DPS/State Police as well.

This same agency has no business in formulating laws that infringe on, or seek to give that agency control over our basic rights. As an agency it should not actively lobby legislators to adopt such proposals and pass them into law.

That leads me to my second point regarding Bill 28 – the elimination of the civilian Independent Firearms Examiner Board, which is the only appeals recourse gun permit applicants and holders have if the State Police refuse or rescind a permit. The effect of this bill means the appeals function would fall under the control of the State Police as well, putting the proverbial fox totally in charge of the henhouse. This does not work in the case of the State Police self-policing through its Internal Affairs investigations, and should not be tolerated in this case.

The “nominating” process dominated by the DPS, CT Association of Chiefs of Police and the DEP Commissioner is a recipe for corruption and undue influence as well. I find no reassurance in the inclusion of the two outnumbered gun associations allowed representation on the board – what actual power would they wield and who selected them? Would the lawyer appointed be one of the lawyers among sworn officers of the DPS or the Chiefs of Police? Nowhere in this legislation do I see mention of one single legal expert in Federal or State Constitutional Law, or more specifically, the Bill of Rights.

The State Police and local police are human beings, subject to the same flaws and foibles of other human beings. DPS Management and the Chiefs of Police are political animals, subject to whichever biased political party is in power. Recognizing that, I implore the legislature to keep in mind that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The proposed new board within the

Department of Public Safety will be subject to intimidation under color of law, which is a common problem with police agencies.

The State and local police should remain subordinate to the civilian authority, and the DPS/State Police neutral in performance of the administrative function of processing and issuing weapons permits. This bill gives the Department of Public Safety/State Police too much power.

There must continue to be a fully staffedcivilian Independent Firearms Examiner Board that oversees the permitting process, providing a civilian appeals system so that the central police agency in the state does not hold a monopoly of power over citizens who exercise their natural, God-given Constitutional Right to Bear Arms.

If you wish to thank her for her letter and testimony, here is her email address:

klauretano@comcast.net

peterkuck

imported post

I commend the members of CCDL who came out to testify. Good work from a new, growing, and vibrant organization

peter

GoldCoaster

imported post

peterkuck wrote:
I commend the members of CCDL who came out to testify. Good work from a new, growing, and vibrant organization

peter
Your testimony was pretty forceful, I just got done watching it. Thanks for going there and keeping them honest. I thought it was particularly interesting when the lady asked you why you thought the governor kept sending these bills each year and you have to keep shooting them down. It almost sounded like she was annoyed by the tactic and would like to see it stopped.

Chubs2287

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
peterkuck wrote:

peter
Your testimony was pretty forceful, I just got done watching it. Thanks for going there and keeping them honest. I thought it was particularly interesting when the lady asked you why you thought the governor kept sending these bills each year and you have to keep shooting them down. It almost sounded like she was annoyed by the tactic and would like to see it stopped.
I was curious to you saying you watched it? Is it on youtube or something. If so please link it. If you where there then thanks for your support.

Thanks everybody who went and supported our 2nd Amendment rights.

Chubs2287

imported post

Bravo!!! I just finished watching the meeting. I want to thank all who went and supported us gun owners and say you did a great job arguing our point.

Once again THANKS!!!!