• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield GI vs. Springfield mil spc

sevenplusone

imported post

rhnhjh79 wrote:
I like them both but,I can not makeup my mind seem the same gun does anyone know the difference?

Between the two I always recommend getting the Mil-Spec. The sights are much better than the GI. It also has a lowered ejection port. This will sometimes improve function, but also lowers the likelyhood of getting dinged brass. The Mil-Spec is definitely worth the extramoney in the long run.

One more thing to check out before you make a 1911 purchase of this sort if handle one like the two above that has the arched mainspring housing (back part of the grip). For a lot of people, myself included, this is the first part that I change. It creates a pressure point in my grip that is uncomfortable. I can't shoot well with and will not carry a 1911 unless it has a flat mainspring housing. See what works for you.

Abraxxas

imported post

rhnhjh79 wrote:
I like them both but,I can not makeup my mind seem the same gun does anyone know the difference?

Main things that the Mil spec has on the GI are ~

Lowered and flared ejection port

Polished feed ramp

Throated barrel

Slightly taller and higher visibility 3 dot sights

Beveled mag well

And lastly, more looks that function, the slide serrations on the Mil spec are angled to match the grip angle rather than straight up and down on the GI.

Worth the extra $$ IMHO, plus if you intend to carry it with hollow points you'll definately want the polished feed ramp and throathed barrel of the Mil spec for reliable feeding of JHP's. As seven stated the mainspring housing is raised on them both so if you dont like it you'll have to change either, I personally prefer a flat one as well and have swapped mine out, quick and easy change. I got an Ed Brown stainless snake skin patterned housing, very sharp serrations in the pattern, grips very well.