Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Island Lake Militia Field Day Family/Open Carry Picnic

Post imported post

When: April 10th 9:00AM til Sundown

Where: Island Lake State Recreation Area Dodge Pavillion

What: SMVM Annual Family Field day. All food will be available for small donation. Kid's games. Kid's rifle competitions. Pistol competitions. Prizes for all competitions. Get together with like minded families and support your rights.

We will have TAX FORMS for you to fill out with LEAD! Come on down and have a glass of TEA with us.

Post imported post

I know its been a while since I've posted on here. I've beeen busy, real busy. But, if you remember the Wyandotte Picnic last year, we are planning another one in Island Lake Rec Area. This one should be 2-3 times bigger. I hope you guys can come on out and have some fun.

All adult competitions will include the $7 range fee plus a small donation to cover costs for the picnic. With the payment of any competition, you may use the range for the rest of the day. We have 5 benches reserved at the 25 yd range. You can also us the 50 and 100 yd ranges.

The Dodge pavilion is the largest one they have, plenty of parking next to the lake. There is 4,000 acres of wilderness to roam around on.

Post imported post

Where can I get information about your group?

I'd like to learn a bit more before I go to an event.

Thanks.

Post imported post

Absolutely!

www.michiganmilitia.com

We did a combined event back in October at Wyandotte's Bishop Park. Ask any one who was there, we are a very good bunch of people. Not a bunch of crackpots running through the woods.

Anyone is welcome to our events and training, regardless of race religion or creed, as long as you can legally own a firearm.

Post imported post

Oops, slow on the draw.

Post imported post

So just to clarify, crackpot running through the woods would be frowned upon.....?

I don't think I can make it.....

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    So just to clarify, crackpot running through the woods would be frowned upon.....?

I don't think I can make it.....
    Only at this event during the day. We have the campgrounds reserved Friday Night and Saturday night. that's when we can get all crazy and run through the woods. Heheheheh

Post imported post

Post imported post

Hey I know what LFB stands for, hope to make it
    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Post imported post

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Post imported post

Depending on what happens this weekend with health care, if our govenrment wants to ignore the people and do a masive takeover and power grab I will have to come see what ya'll are about.

Post imported post

Interesting they promote a range that doesnt allow open carry. Seems quite backwards to me.. Gun rights group promote's a range where a right to carry firearms is banned. Not something I'd be interested in supporting. You guys might want to rethink that strategy.

Post imported post

It is NOT a privately owned range but rather a privately managed range. And I too find it stupid.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    It is NOT a privately owned range but rather a privately managed range. And I too find it stupid.
    As far as I know, they have to abide by DNR rules.

Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

No OC!Then why is thisevent even posted on this site?

This is a state park hence the reason for the needed vehicle sticker. The range is managed by a private party, but the rangeresides on public land.

LFB you may want toeducate the range management and then reportback to the members here.

Post imported post

wolverine1856 wrote:

This is a state park hence the reason for the needed vehicle sticker. The range is managed by a private party, but the rangeresides on public land.

LFB you may want toeducate the range management and then reportback to the members here.
    I believe OC is allowed every where else, except the range.
    Big Gay Al

Post imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
    wolverine1856 wrote:

I believe OC is allowed every where else, except the range.
    But you can't OC at the range according to the flier. Why would an OC'er support an event that has selective areas of OC? Either they support or right to carry or they don't.

The above is aside from the possibility that they cannot restrict OC at the range.

Post imported post

I don't disagree, but find a range, next to a park where you can OC and pass the info on. Otherwise, I doubt you'll get much result out of the Island Lake crew. They've already gone through hell just trying to keep the range open and operating, thanks to the near by sheeple who tried to shut them down on grounds of too much noise.
    Big Gay Al

Post imported post

You guys are right. The range has decided to NOT allow OPEN CARRY. Why would nayone here ever go to an event in order to try and persuade anyone that OC'ing is a RIGHT. Let's let someone else fight the fight and then we can all go to the places they have convinced that OC is our right.

Oh wait... A lot of us do go to area with discriminatory actions against OC.

I am not as well versed in the OC rights as some on here are. I have plans to go talk to the management on April 3rd. In part to set up our range time for the events, and in part to talk to him about his OC policy. Hmmmm.

We have nothing but very goo rapport with the state DNR agent over the last 5months that we have been meeting there. One step at a time.

If you don't feel comfortable going to the range, don't. I personally am going to, and continue to ask questions as to why they keep the policies they do.

Post imported post

LFB wrote:
    You guys are right. The range has decided to NOT allow OPEN CARRY. Why would nayone here ever go to an event in order to try and persuade anyone that OC'ing is a RIGHT. Let's let someone else fight the fight and then we can all go to the places they have convinced that OC is our right.

Oh wait... A lot of us do go to area with discriminatory actions against OC.

I am not as well versed in the OC rights as some on here are. I have plans to go talk to the management on April 3rd. In part to set up our range time for the events, and in part to talk to him about his OC policy. Hmmmm.

We have nothing but very goo rapport with the state DNR agent over the last 5months that we have been meeting there. One step at a time.

If you don't feel comfortable going to the range, don't. I personally am going to, and continue to ask questions as to why they keep the policies they do.
    It's just a guess, but I would suspect they're trying to keep from giving their "neighbors" any excuses to shut them down. But that's only a guess.

Big Gay Al

Post imported post

The Manager, being a 25 year LEO, has a mixed feeling on OC himself. He told me that the reason for the policy is for the safety of his patrons. He doesn't want someone who is not familiar with carrying a gun, to do so. They also have a rule that you cannot shoot from a holster. They don't want a muzzle sweep with a loaded gun, finger on the trigger. Being that it IS a public State range, you get a lot of yahoos there. I have seen several people there that had no clue as to how to handle afirearm.

Post imported post

LFB wrote:
    The Manager, being a 25 year LEO, has a mixed feeling on OC himself. He told me that the reason for the policy is for the safety of his patrons. He doesn't want someone who is not familiar with carrying a gun, to do so. They also have a rule that you cannot shoot from a holster. They don't want a muzzle sweep with a loaded gun, finger on the trigger. Being that it IS a public State range, you get a lot of yahoos there. I have seen several people there that had no clue as to how to handle afirearm.
    Yup, most ranges open to the public, have the "no drawing from the holster" rule. The only place I've not seen it was at a gun club range, and that was with an instructor giving us lessons on drawing from concealment and such. A "practical" pistol course.

What's the old saying, "His range, his rules." I'm also sure he doesn't want any accidents as that would give the anti's who live near by, more fuel to try to get the range closed.
    Big Gay Al

Post imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
    LFB wrote:
    Yup, most ranges open to the public, have the "no drawing from the holster" rule. The only place I've not seen it was at a gun club range, and that was with an instructor giving us lessons on drawing from concealment and such. A "practical" pistol course.

What's the old saying, "His range, his rules." I'm also sure he doesn't want any accidents as that would give the anti's who live near by, more fuel to try to get the range closed

So.. if most ranges have a no drawing from the hoster rule, how are you going to open carry on the range?
    You can open carry at the range, just not inside the fence line where the shooting goes on. From the gate to the bench, all guns being shot must be in a case. Only at the bench, can a gun be uncased. They have no rules against CC, other than they don't want you shooting that gun. Unless you go outside the fence, case it, bring it back in to the bench, uncase it on the bench.

Post imported post

mikestilly wrote:
    Interesting they promote a range that doesnt allow open carry. Seems quite backwards to me.. Gun rights group promote's a range where a right to carry firearms is banned. Not something I'd be interested in supporting. You guys might want to rethink that strategy.
    Hello gentlemen,

My name is Bryan and I am a member of the SMVM with LFB.

I understand the sentiment quoted above, but let me explain our situation.

For fifteen years our group had the use of a private range on a 140-acre farm for all of our events. It was owned by a kind old World War 2 veteran. Sadly, he recently passed away and we lost access to our training ground.

Over the past few months we have made do with what we can find. Currently Island Lake Recreation Area is the best place we know of within a reasonable distance. We will work to try and change their no open carry policy, and also look for other suitable locations for our events.

Please bear with us and don't let the range's bad policy stop you from coming to the park to check us out. You can OC anywhere else in the park, including where our picnic will be. This event has ALWAYS been a good time, and it will be worth your time. Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you there.

Bryan

Post imported post

Declaration Day wrote:
    mikestilly wrote:
    Hello gentlemen,

My name is Bryan and I am a member of the SMVM with LFB.

I understand the sentiment quoted above, but let me explain our situation.

For fifteen years our group had the use of a private range on a 140-acre farm for all of our events. It was owned by a kind old World War 2 veteran. Sadly, he recently passed away and we lost access to our training ground.

Over the past few months we have made do with what we can find. Currently Island Lake Recreation Area is the best place we know of within a reasonable distance. We will work to try and change their no open carry policy, and also look for other suitable locations for our events.

Please bear with us and don't let the range's bad policy stop you from coming to the park to check us out. You can OC anywhere else in the park, including where our picnic will be. This event has ALWAYS been a good time, and it will be worth your time. Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you there.

Bryan
    I plan on going, i have been checking out the Michigan militia website for a couple day now. looks like fun with my kind of people.

Devery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast