• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll

Poll

• Good Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eastmeyers

imported post

INHO I think the OP was just making fun of all of the poles.

Now to ask somthing serious. I'm not an IT guy by any means. So here is the question, when this site goes down for a day or two, why is that? How does this happen? Is it because of too many people on the site at once and it crashes?

God Bless

eastmeyers

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Likely it has been hacked or the server it is located on has problems.

Thank you. So my hopfull thoughts of us getting overly massive intrest/support isn't likely? At least not the reason for the down time?

Whatever, I love you guys, and MOC inc, and OCDO for that matter. I read everyday, but the last month or two (or three) it has been getting harder and harder to keep up. I am all for the sub-forums idea!

God Bless

viperar15

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
INHO I think the OP was just making fun of all of the poles.

Now to ask somthing serious. I'm not an IT guy by any means. So here is the question, when this site goes down for a day or two, why is that? How does this happen? Is it because of too many people on the site at once and it crashes?

God Bless

well... it can be several reasons.

the last time OCDO went down, there was a corrupted table (lovely that the system admins didn't turn off errors... haha!)

another could be hardware failure of the server the site is running on.

another could be max connections exceeded to the server (can happen on high volume sites)

another max connections from the server to the database server (seen this many times over on therangerstation)

could be a system failure for some reason or another (especially if its microsoft windows... lol... yes... i'm biased in that statement)

but i wouldn't go to say its only due to hacking. i see more system related outages more then i do hacking.