• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at Vancouver Mall

Aryk45XD

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
Considering the writer and the editors are incapable of even writing a legible article, it doesn't surprise me they're calling that a shooting.

+1 lol, I was thinking the same thing. I don't know if this story is funny or just plain sad.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And now the follow up, gun owner to be charged with brandishing.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/16/man-shoots-self-during-altercation/

Man pulled gun, was shot, will be jailed, police say
All over an argument over parking at mall

By John Branton and Craig Brown
Columbian staff writers

Originally published March 16, 2010 at 9:16 a.m., updated March 16, 2010 at 9:16 a.m.

A Vancouver man who allegedly whipped out a handgun during an argument outside the Outback Restaurant at Westfield Vancouver mall -- and ended up getting shot in the leg on Monday afternoon -- is headed for jail when he’s released from a hospital, police said.

Police plan to arrest Paul J. Hicks, 53, on suspicion of first-degree assault, Officer Jason Beach said Monday night.

Hicks was being treated at an area hospital for a gunshot wound that’s not believed life-threatening, Beach said.

It was about 2 p.m. Monday when Hicks argued with Jason L. Berry, 27, of Vancouver about parking.

Beach said Hicks pulled out a gun and the two men struggled.

Officers believe Hicks shot himself, but that’s not completely clear, a police sergeant said. “There was a struggle with the gun and it went off,” she said.

Which man’s finger pulled the trigger in the struggle remained unclear.

But it was Hicks who first brandished the gun, so he will be taken to jail for that, Beach said.

Hicks had apparently confronted Berry about parking his motorcycle in a handicap spot, said Vancouver police Cmdr. Scott Bieber.

He allegedly struck Berry with his cane and then took out a gun when a struggle ensued.

Beach said Berry wasn’t believed injured in the struggle, and that Berry was not arrested or accused of any wrongdoing.

Mall security quickly responded and disarmed Hicks.

john.branton.@columbian.com.

heresolong

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Hicks had apparently confronted Berry about parking his motorcycle in a handicap spot, said Vancouver police Cmdr. Scott Bieber.
They issue handicap plates for motorcycles.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
heresolong wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
They issue handicap plates for motorcycles.
What really? They shouldn't.
Why not?

Just because you have a handicap doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed the joy of riding...

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Most likely if you're handicapped, you're not physically able to ride a motorcycle, though it is possible. They ought to have motorcycle spaces reserved for motorcycles, I don't see the need for a motorcycle with a handicap permit to take up an entire car size parking space. Maybe if two shared it, it would be alright, but not one motorbike to a car size space.

erps

imported post

I don't see the need for a motorcycle with a handicap permit to take up an entire car size parking space. Maybe if two shared it, it would be alright, but not one motorbike to a car size space.
The courtesy police are never around when you need them.

heresolong

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Most likely if you're handicapped, you're not physically able to ride a motorcycle, though it is possible. They ought to have motorcycle spaces reserved for motorcycles, I don't see the need for a motorcycle with a handicap permit to take up an entire car size parking space. Maybe if two shared it, it would be alright, but not one motorbike to a car size space.
Of course it's possible. There are plenty of disabilities that don't make you incapable of riding. Walking long distances can be problematic for many disabled who have leg problems, but perfectly capable of riding. Trikes (also classified as motorcycles), sidecar rigs which help stabilize a bike at low speed, etc. I have even seen people in wheelchairs who set up a sidecar to hold their wheelchair and had specially modified controls for hand operation only.

So are you suggesting that there should be motorcycle handicapped spaces required everywhere or that people who ride motorcycles should pretty much just push off if they are handicapped?

erps

imported post

NavyLT wrote:

Back on topic, I wonder who they are saying the alleged perpetrator assaulted? Himself, if he shot himself? :lol:
hitting someone with a cane is an assault, isn't it?

But then another man, who happened to be disabled, took offense to this and started to hit the man with a cane. That's when things got even crazier. The disabled man then accidentally shot himself in the leg.

Trigger Dr

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
erps wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

Back on topic, I wonder who they are saying the alleged perpetrator assaulted? Himself, if he shot himself? :lol:
hitting someone with a cane is an assault, isn't it?

But then another man, who happened to be disabled, took offense to this and started to hit the man with a cane. That's when things got even crazier. The disabled man then accidentally shot himself in the leg.
So, it should be two counts of assault! One with the can against the other person and one with the gun, well... against himself.... :lol:
Hitting with the cane is assault, shooting himself is felony stupid.