Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO interaction in Eastpointe

Post imported post

I took my dogs for their daily walk and was stopped for a "casual chat" by 2 officers and the deputy chief. The first officer to make contact didn't much appreciate me not giving him my ID, but too bad. My gun was never taken from me, and the whole interaction took less than 5 minutes, so I was OK with it. I am a bit curious to their attitude toward me before and after I left, so I am considering a FOIA. I'm sure I'll get stopped again sometime in the future too, so we'll see how their demeanor in then. So, other than officer Hambright? pressing me for my ID/date of birth/age, it wasn't all bad.

Post imported post

scot623 wrote:
    I took my dogs for their daily walk and was stopped for a "casual chat" by 2 officers and the deputy chief. The first officer to make contact didn't much appreciate me not giving him my ID, but too bad. My gun was never taken from me, and the whole interaction took less than 5 minutes, so I was OK with it. I am a bit curious to their attitude toward me before and after I left, so I am considering a FOIA. I'm sure I'll get stopped again sometime in the future too, so we'll see how their demeanor in then. So, other than officer Hambright? pressing me for my ID/date of birth/age, it wasn't all bad.
    Were there specific questions asked? Did you respond? If you did respond, what were your answers?

Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

I recorded it. I thought I attached the audio file to this post but didn't. I'll link to it shortly. My wifi is sketchy so it's taking a few extra minutes to upload to YouTube.

Post imported post

Were you detained? Or was it a voluntary thing?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Post imported post

It was voluntary. I figured I'd give my local PD a little leway on my first interaction with them. I am hoping to maintain a freindly relationship with them(as long as their friendly too). If I was pressed any harder for ID I was going to ask if I was being detained, then walk away when I was told no.

Post imported post

scot623 wrote:
    I'm sure I'll get stopped again sometime in the future too . . .
    Unless you don't care about preventing that, I suggest sending an email or letter to the chief LEO of the department AND copy in the city attorney AND the chief elected official of the citywith something like the following:

Recap as much info about the police contact as you can.Express that you are not aware of any reason the police had to stopyou, and you think it was merely about you open carrying. Relate to them that they know, or should know, that reasonable suspicion or probable cause are needed for a stop. State that you are giving them the courtesy of an email or letter this time, but that in the future if you feel you are being stopped merely for open carry, or for nogood reason at all, you will consider using civil remedies, includingcivil lawsuit orfiling a "Color of Law" complaint with the FBI.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

hope this is the worst it will get. if only we all had stops this short. can/t wait to here audio.

Post imported post

Here is the audio link. I couldn't host it on youtube. If someone wants to convert the file for hosting there, go ahead then just post the new link.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ujdnfz...unter_0001.wma

Post imported post

you did great imo.

LEO's were rather pushy at first with the questions,but were pretty much nice and seemed decent to me.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    you did great imo.

LEO's were rather pushy at first with the questions,but were pretty much nice and seemed decent to me.
    I rather enjoyed the part where he asked me how old I was and I told him "not important". Then he started in on me about if I was a felon and if that's important. Right then is about when I was losing patience and was going to asked if I was being detained. That's when th deputy chief stepped in and calmed things down quite a bit.

Post imported post

Just listened to the audio, gret job! I wish I could stay that calm and composed in similar situatuions, my nerves seem to get the better of me.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Post imported post

not confrontational my ass. Rob is it ok for me to post this on the Youtube site?

Post imported post

I always giggle when I hear the reoccurring police officer ranting of you're too near a school, and how they'd be remiss if they didn't investigate you. The remiss thing to do is to waste time investigating an OCer, since OCers are probably among the most law abiding people on the face of the planet. And as usual, they talked about how they didn't know who you are, firmly establishing that they had no grounds for a stop. Maybe my standards are too high, but I'm always surprised that a professional cop can't do better than that.

One trick Dean Greenblatt told me, and gave me permission to repeat, is that in a semi confrontational situation like this, you can explain that you are ready, willing and eager to cooperate, and help them get all the information they need about open carrying, but in order to avoid confusion and misunderstanding, you are only willing to communicate in writing at a later date.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I always giggle when I hear the reoccurring police officer ranting of you're too near a school, and how they'd be remiss if they didn't investigate you. The remiss thing to do is to waste time investigating an OCer, since OCers are probably among the most law abiding people on the face of the planet. And as usual, they talked about how they didn't know who you are, firmly establishing that they had no grounds for a stop. Maybe my standards are too high, but I'm always surprised that a professional cop can't do better than that.

One trick Dean Greenblatt told me, and gave me permission to repeat, is that in a semi confrontational situation like this, you can explain that you are ready, willing and eager to cooperate, and help them get all the information they need about open carrying, but in order to avoid confusion and misunderstanding, you are only willing to communicate in writing at a later date.
    Aside from that don't do any talking .. He said way more then I would have. Not that he didnt do a great job which he did but the officers did attempt to go on a fishing expidition and said he wasnt fully cooperative because he didnt PRoDUsE dA pappazz.

For me am I being detained? Yes or No? Yes? You have further questions contact my attorney. Stop talking. No, leave.

Post imported post

You could have informed the officers that with a CPL, open carrying near a school is NOT a violation. I don't think many LEOs realize that the restrictions don't apply to CPL holders when open carrying.

Post imported post

FISHING!!!!!! wow...are you a felon? Are you crazy? Are you sane?? Your close to a school...I would call that VERY confrontational!

editted to ad: Polite but confrontational :P It's amazing how they dnace around certain subjects trying to get you to trip up...you did well!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Post imported post

THe audio is live on the Youtube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/OpenCarryMI

Post imported post

Thanks Mike! Like I said earlier, I was willing to give my local PD a little more leway than usual. In an effort to be seen as a "nice guy" and limit any further interactions. Maybe next time when they get the MWAG call, they'll drive by, see it's me...wave and go back to the station. If not, they'll get a much different reaction from me if they choose to stop me again.

Post imported post

You did a great job. A model encounter ...

Post imported post

What kind of recorder did you use and where was it located on your person? I presume the LEOs didn't know you had it. It was a very high quality recording.

Post imported post

Scot623, not sure where you live in Eastpointe, but I know I walk around all the time and I have a school one block away in each direction of me. I have never had an issue so far. Thank God! And I carry a full size 1911 on my hip. My neighbors respect my right to carry and know me and a couple have actually thanked me for being visible. I have walked down 9 mile to the 7/eleven a couple of times in recent days even. So, I guess I had better keep my eyes open for possible issues.

Post imported post

Great job keeping your head screwed on straight.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    you did great imo.

That is a tactic they use. They want to see what kind of person they are dealing with. They also want you to react in some way so have a reason to arrest or cite you. Once you react in a sane manner they tend to back down. Just always keep your cool.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

You talked too much, but I know the first one is scary. It was a good Fishing expedition though. My advice is that the points they made have been proved wrong and if you want to talk, challenge their comments. But that's me.

You could have been MORE DECENT?? WTF?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast