• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO interaction in Eastpointe

scot623

imported post

I took my dogs for their daily walk and was stopped for a "casual chat" by 2 officers and the deputy chief. The first officer to make contact didn't much appreciate me not giving him my ID, but too bad. My gun was never taken from me, and the whole interaction took less than 5 minutes, so I was OK with it. I am a bit curious to their attitude toward me before and after I left, so I am considering a FOIA. I'm sure I'll get stopped again sometime in the future too, so we'll see how their demeanor in then. So, other than officer Hambright? pressing me for my ID/date of birth/age, it wasn't all bad.

PDinDetroit

imported post

scot623 wrote:
I took my dogs for their daily walk and was stopped for a "casual chat" by 2 officers and the deputy chief. The first officer to make contact didn't much appreciate me not giving him my ID, but too bad. My gun was never taken from me, and the whole interaction took less than 5 minutes, so I was OK with it. I am a bit curious to their attitude toward me before and after I left, so I am considering a FOIA. I'm sure I'll get stopped again sometime in the future too, so we'll see how their demeanor in then. So, other than officer Hambright? pressing me for my ID/date of birth/age, it wasn't all bad.
Were there specific questions asked? Did you respond? If you did respond, what were your answers?

scot623

imported post

I recorded it. :lol: I thought I attached the audio file to this post but didn't. I'll link to it shortly. My wifi is sketchy so it's taking a few extra minutes to upload to YouTube.

scot623

imported post

It was voluntary. I figured I'd give my local PD a little leway on my first interaction with them. I am hoping to maintain a freindly relationship with them(as long as their friendly too). If I was pressed any harder for ID I was going to ask if I was being detained, then walk away when I was told no.

DanM

imported post

scot623 wrote:
I'm sure I'll get stopped again sometime in the future too . . .

Unless you don't care about preventing that, I suggest sending an email or letter to the chief LEO of the department AND copy in the city attorney AND the chief elected official of the citywith something like the following:

Recap as much info about the police contact as you can.Express that you are not aware of any reason the police had to stopyou, and you think it was merely about you open carrying. Relate to them that they know, or should know, that reasonable suspicion or probable cause are needed for a stop. State that you are giving them the courtesy of an email or letter this time, but that in the future if you feel you are being stopped merely for open carry, or for nogood reason at all, you will consider using civil remedies, includingcivil lawsuit orfiling a "Color of Law" complaint with the FBI.

lil_freak_66

imported post

you did great imo.

LEO's were rather pushy at first with the questions,but were pretty much nice and seemed decent to me.

scot623

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
you did great imo.

LEO's were rather pushy at first with the questions,but were pretty much nice and seemed decent to me.

I rather enjoyed the part where he asked me how old I was and I told him "not important". Then he started in on me about if I was a felon and if that's important. Right then is about when I was losing patience and was going to asked if I was being detained. That's when th deputy chief stepped in and calmed things down quite a bit.

detroit_fan

imported post

Just listened to the audio, gret job! I wish I could stay that calm and composed in similar situatuions, my nerves seem to get the better of me.

Michigander

imported post

I always giggle when I hear the reoccurring police officer ranting of you're too near a school, and how they'd be remiss if they didn't investigate you. The remiss thing to do is to waste time investigating an OCer, since OCers are probably among the most law abiding people on the face of the planet. And as usual, they talked about how they didn't know who you are, firmly establishing that they had no grounds for a stop. Maybe my standards are too high, but I'm always surprised that a professional cop can't do better than that.

One trick Dean Greenblatt told me, and gave me permission to repeat, is that in a semi confrontational situation like this, you can explain that you are ready, willing and eager to cooperate, and help them get all the information they need about open carrying, but in order to avoid confusion and misunderstanding, you are only willing to communicate in writing at a later date.

mikestilly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I always giggle when I hear the reoccurring police officer ranting of you're too near a school, and how they'd be remiss if they didn't investigate you. The remiss thing to do is to waste time investigating an OCer, since OCers are probably among the most law abiding people on the face of the planet. And as usual, they talked about how they didn't know who you are, firmly establishing that they had no grounds for a stop. Maybe my standards are too high, but I'm always surprised that a professional cop can't do better than that.

One trick Dean Greenblatt told me, and gave me permission to repeat, is that in a semi confrontational situation like this, you can explain that you are ready, willing and eager to cooperate, and help them get all the information they need about open carrying, but in order to avoid confusion and misunderstanding, you are only willing to communicate in writing at a later date.

Aside from that don't do any talking .. He said way more then I would have. Not that he didnt do a great job which he did but the officers did attempt to go on a fishing expidition and said he wasnt fully cooperative because he didnt PRoDUsE dA pappazz. :)

For me am I being detained? Yes or No? Yes? You have further questions contact my attorney. Stop talking. No, leave.

thekunk47

imported post

You could have informed the officers that with a CPL, open carrying near a school is NOT a violation. I don't think many LEOs realize that the restrictions don't apply to CPL holders when open carrying.

Jblack44

imported post

FISHING!!!!!! wow...are you a felon? Are you crazy? Are you sane?? Your close to a school...I would call that VERY confrontational!

editted to ad: Polite but confrontational :p It's amazing how they dnace around certain subjects trying to get you to trip up...you did well!!

scot623

imported post

Thanks Mike! Like I said earlier, I was willing to give my local PD a little more leway than usual. In an effort to be seen as a "nice guy" and limit any further interactions. Maybe next time when they get the MWAG call, they'll drive by, see it's me...wave and go back to the station. If not, they'll get a much different reaction from me if they choose to stop me again.