• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Around My Aparment?

open4years

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
Like said above it may depend on state and city regulations. I do open carry aound my complex everyday with no confrontation..

well funny story last weekend I was OCing while walking my dog a long haired
chihuahua, and i was confronted by an elderly lady who noticed the pistol on my hip. Her response was "Oh i've never seen a gay man with such a big gun.. Or a straight man with such a small dog." It stopped me in my tracks I was speechless. I had no idea how to respond.

Nor would I! That's very strange. I would want more information.

usnsubmarine

imported post

Lol, I own 2 chihuahua's and walk around OC all the time. That lady is hilarious :)

Anyways, my grandmother lives in an apartment complex and I visit her all the time. From what the manager told me, the law in Arizona is this; If the property is against firearms you can carry in your apartment, to and from your vehicle and to and from the mailbox. If you're walking your dogs, around the complex they could mess with you for sure.

I called the tucson police department and thats the same thing they told me, except you can also walk to and from your apartment to the exit of the complex. So as long as you're LEAVING to take the dog for a walk outside the complex, you're ok. Now I'm not sure how much this differs state to state, but the officer said its most likely the same everywhere.

Hope this helps.

ecocks

imported post

I'd have said, "Yes, she's small but I love her and thanked her for the compliment."

SlackwareRobert

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
Like said above it may depend on state and city regulations. I do open carry aound my complex everyday with no confrontation..

well funny story last weekend I was OCing while walking my dog a long haired
chihuahua, and i was confronted by an elderly lady who noticed the pistol on my hip. Her response was "Oh i've never seen a gay man with such a big gun.. Or a straight man with such a small dog." It stopped me in my tracks I was speechless. I had no idea how to respond.
"Sadly mam, as you can see the years have not been kind, and I have nowhere
to keep a hat pin for protection." :lol:
Just gotta love little ol' ladies, except for Helen Thomas.

But as for the original question, start by reading your lease, all those little regs
in the fine print. Then trot down to the city/county, and keep going up the food chain.
Two places you don't want to ask, managers office, and police station.