• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry and brady bunch

nicki

imported post

It is clear the brady bunch will show up at events in California and maybe elsewhere.

Rather than us retreating, perhaps we need to consider taking them head on.

In California discriminatory CCW laws leave citizens few legal options. Even UOC is faster than 911.

The media likes conflict/controversy stories and we should tailor our messages to simple soundbites.

Our messages just need to be simple and we can have fun with the brady bunch.

Call them out for all the people they indirectly MURDER every year with their VD(victim disarmament) policies that they protect.

Brady bunch equals no choice in self defense.

Sooner or later we need to stand up to the brady bunch.

demnogis

imported post

I wouldn't advise engaging them. That would only serve to validate their assertion that we are "violent, gun owners".

When participating at an establishment as a patron, it would only make sense to complain about being hassled by said protesters. Besides, you're in the business actually contributing to it whilst they're outside hassling would-be customers and passers-by. In that instance who do you think would leave a negative memory?

Two Percent

Banned
imported post

I have not been a member very long. At this point, the only firearm I own is an AR-15.

I've seen a few OC videos on You Tube and read many posts. I'm also fascinated, studying the human creature. Psychology 101 included a chapter on tolerance for lack of a better word. When we are gradually exposed to a stimulus, we find it much easier to accept. I once worked in a hospital and one of my jobs was to transport bodies to the morgue. The first time was no fun at all. At least all the bodies were covered! Eventually it became as easy as taking out the trash.

I've been a photographer all my life. 20 years ago I met a woman who wanted to do a set of intimate photos for her husband. We started with her fully clothed, then transitioned to teddies and then ever so slowly, we transitioned into a nude session. By this time she was completely comfortable with me and her "nudeness".

So what does this have to do with OC?

John and Jane are at the park with their kids. Suddenly a group of people appear, could be 10 people, could be 100 and they are all carrying GUNS! Quick John! Dial 911! John and Jane were stimulated alright, they didn't even get a time of slow transition. Of course they were gonna call the cops.

Lets say that next week, Bob and Barbie are at the park and they see the same 100 member group, but this time, 2 or 3 people are armed. Do they get scared and call 911? I think not, after all, the armed people are surrounded by 98 unarmed friends that seem to be at ease and happy, enjoying a day at the park. Bob and Barbie might just conclude that the 2-3 armed people are off duty cops.

If the public SLOWLY sees the GRADUAL increase of OC people and they hear enough PSA's (Public Service Announcements) or equivalent, they will accept it for what it is. As a photographer I slowly talked a girl out of her cloths. In the morgue, I slowly got used to that place to the point that seeing an uncovered body did not bother me.

The key is SLOWLY.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I composed a response earlier and the Internet ate it.

Using open carry as a protest is a little like using a Bible as a weapon. Being armed is intended to create distance between us and those who would do us harm. In the case with the Brady Campaign, open carrying to protestwould allow them to be in such proximity that provocateurs and instigators could be effective- making false claims of us and creating controversy where there is none.

This I believe, is the mistake that the Black Panthers made in 1967 when they stormed the Capitol. What the Panthers should have done was to quietly continue their safety patrols in Oakland and other communities. While the Mulford Act was racially motivated and intended to disarm blacks, the media attention only solidified public opinion and ensured that 12031 would be a fact of life in our time.

To engage the Brady Campaign we need to remove the controversy in open carry. Carry in our day to day activities... not as a protest, not as a political statement, not as a media event and certainly not to go toe-to-toe with anti-gunners. By going head on with the anti-gunners, we would certainly be viewed as the aggressors when it is the Bradys that are attacking our civil rights.

Two Percent

Banned
imported post

Well said.

It reminds me of a meeting I attended not long ago. The name of the group is not important. We are patriots and Constitutionalists. One of the people in attendance was dressed as follows:

- NRA ball cap
- "Don't Tread On Me" tee shirt
- A vest that looked like it came straight from a military surplus store.
- Camouflaged pattern pants
- Jump Boots

Anyone that saw him would have thought, "Gun Nut", I had a flash back to "Travis" from the movie Taxi Driver.

Having this guy represent our group by the way he was dressed is about as silly as attending a Brady bunch rally while engaging in OC.

All it would take to ruin the day, would be for some Brady bunch plant to join the OC'ers and pop off a few rounds into the sky. Instant loss of credibility for the 2nd Amendment crowd.

mjones

imported post

I don't have a particular problem with people giving the bradyites a hard time, but I have a little food for thought on the matter...

1) Be sure to not come accross as a nutcase. Dress Nice, no yelling or direct confrontation, etc, etc.

2) Don't do it while Open Carrying. My worry in this regard is that if things get even the tiniest bit heated you might be opening yourself to a brandishing charge. I know it would be a really thin case against an OCer, but I can see the possibility of an innocent movement or gesture being INACCURATELYdescribed as causingintimidation or as a threat.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
This I believe, is the mistake that the Black Panthers made in 1967 when they stormed the Capitol. What the Panthers should have done was to quietly continue their safety patrols in Oakland and other communities. While the Mulford Act was racially motivated and intended to disarm blacks, the media attention only solidified public opinion and ensured that 12031 would be a fact of life in our time.
I'm sure that COINTELPRO was responsible for this tactical "blunder".

Imagine how much better off we'd be if the Panthers had done like you suggested. I picture an entirely different visage of crime, gun rights, and race relations on the west coast.

An utter historical tragedy.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

There is thinking big, then there is thinking TOO big.

If we act rashly, and don't pay attention to history, then nothing good will befall us and we are doomed to repeat it.

Learn from the Pather's failure, don't repeat it.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Welcome to the forums Two Percent, and great points.

ConditionThree wrote:
To engage the Brady Campaign we need to remove the controversy in open carry. Carry in our day to day activities... not as a protest, not as a political statement, not as a media event and certainly not to go toe-to-toe with anti-gunners. By going head on with the anti-gunners, we would certainly be viewed as the aggressors when it is the Bradys that are attacking our civil rights.
Just checking if this means you are no longer standing down. I believe you were...but I'm not entirely sure.

Pace

imported post

If you address their "issues" you are engaging them in such a way that says that their issues are valid. Yes, some people are scared of guns. Some people are also scared of cats, black people, korean food (for good reason) and Marshaul.

Do we need to address the general public "fears?" through engagement of BradyCampaign, or address the general public directly?

As a veteran of several campaigns, I can tell you the later works better.