• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glad I didn't have to...

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Okay. My mother married a crack head with 2 felonies. One for assault with a deadly weapon and another for domestic abuse.

After 3 years of verbal abuse, fists through walls, threatening to kill her family, and stealing everything she has for crack, she had enough. She contacted me to help her move out early one morning. She also had his mother and step-fathercome over so he would stay calm(usually worked). It was about 6am and after I showed up she decided to wake her husband up and tell him it was over, she was leaving, and 2-Men and a Truck were on the way to take her belongings.

He jumped out of bed screaming! Instead of being hurt and crushed, he was only pissed. He started breaking dishes, threw the TV into the living room floor, and started kicking walls. He had gone on a crack binge the night before so he wasn't thinking clearly. He picked up my motorcycle helmet and threw it out the door, hitting his mother in the process. He then proceeded to shove his step-father off the porch while screaming at the top of his lungs.

He walked into the house and grabbed what seemed to be a paring knife. He walked over to my mother and tried to put it up to her throat. I grabbed him and shoved him into the bedroom. He had fallen down sohe got up and was yelling at me saying, "this isn't any of your f***ing business! Get out of my house before I slash the tires on your bike!!"

I walked outside and stood beside my mothers car. He was apparently enraged about me shoving him, so he walked onto the porch and yelled, "get off my property before I bust ya skull in!!" He picked up my motorcycle helmet, and started walking towards me. He said, "did you f***ing hear me? I'm about to smash your face in with this.(the helmet). I'll kill your punk ass!"

I hadmy Ruger P95 9mm on myright side under my shirt. I pulled it out, put to my side (finger off the trigger) and said, "Go back in your house, don't take another step towards me!"

He threw my helmet into the neighbors yard and yelled, "mother****er, you're dead! F***ing dead!!!" and walked back inside. I holstered my weapon, pulled out my cell and called 911. I was on the phone explaining what happened to the 911 operator when he came outside screaming, "I'm gonna kill you!" (operator could hear him)

He yelled and screamed some more then went inside. Within 10 minutes, 8 LEO's pulled up, guns drawn. I sat down and put my hands on my knees. (so I wouldn't get shot)

I look across the yard and he is walking towards the officers yelling, "F*** all of you! Get off my land! This is private property. I'll f*** every one of you up!" The officers pointed their weapons at him and told him to sit down! I took 8 officers, pointing guns at him,2 minutes to make him sit down.

Anyway, to make the rest of this story short, he went to jail. He kept saying, "I want him arrested for attempted murder!"

The officer put him in a squad car and I heard him say, "You need to shut your mouth. You're lucky he didn't kill you."

I'm glad I didn't have to hurt him, but my God. I've never seen someone act so insane. My heart was racing so fast when I thought I might have to shoot this guy.

Most frightening moment of my life... having to unholster a weapon because of another person. I pray none of you have to.

-Tim

okboomer

imported post

Yep, that is what a brain looks like on drugs ... you know how they say you cannot reason with a drunk? Well, you cannot deal with a crack/meth addict. Their logic circuits have been disconnected from their thinking process ... seriously!

You are lucky that you or the others were not injured seriously!

Personally, after being a bondsman, I would not give an addict the opportunity to take any steps after picking up a weapon (the knife and the helmet were definitely weapons.)

Now, you have also taken steps to protect yourself and your mother after he gets released? She most definitely should file for a VPO and you should probably file for one also ... just subpoena the 911 call and play it for the judge ... you will be granted the VPO based on his verbal threats, his behavior in front of the police, and the testimony of his brandishing weapons.

This man is a threat and you will probably have to shoot him if he comes after you or your mother ... is she armed?

Please remember, you are not dealing with someone who thinks logically or rationally! This is not a matter to take lightly, and I believe you are in real, imminent danger from this individual!

Hollowpoint38

imported post

okboomer wrote:
Now, you have also taken steps to protect yourself and your mother after he gets released? She most definitely should file for a VPO and you should probably file for one also ... just subpoena the 911 call and play it for the judge ... you will be granted the VPO based on his verbal threats, his behavior in front of the police, and the testimony of his brandishing weapons.

This man is a threat and you will probably have to shoot him if he comes after you or your mother ... is she armed?

Please remember, you are not dealing with someone who thinks logically or rationally! This is not a matter to take lightly, and I believe you are in real, imminent danger from this individual!

Thanks for the advise. But we already did that. My mother and I both have protection orders. He posted bail and keyed my car! I went and signed an arrest warrant with the magistrate because I saw him. I didn't confront him because of our last encounter.

My mother used to be armed, but when she married him, he had her sell her pistols.

He said, "I can't be in the house with a gun. I'm a felon!"

Oh by the way, the Sheriff came out after the incident. I told him what happened and asked him if my mother's husband could do anything to me legally.

Here's what happened:

Sheriff:"Did you threaten him?"

Me: "no sir. I kept the pistol at my side, told him to go inside."

Sheriff: "Don't worry about. When he picked up the helmet and threatened you, the helmet became an impactable object."

Me: "impactable object?"

Sheriff: "impactable object meaning, if I had been in your place, I would haveshot him. He's lucky you aren't a trigger happy gun owner."

45acpForMe

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
... she decided to wake her husband up and tell him it was over, she was leaving, and 2-Men and a Truck were on the way to take her belongings.

That was a pretty foolish move knowing his temperament. But from your description "she" married a crackhead so that was the first mistake.

At least you were armed and had a way of defending yourself. One less crackhead in the world wouldn't be a bad thing.

Chubs2287

imported post

Bravo... You did the right thing and kept your cool. Had he come at you with the knife or helmet, I would have shot him.

Also, I love what the sheriff said, he could not have put it any better.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
... she decided to wake her husband up and tell him it was over, she was leaving, and 2-Men and a Truck were on the way to take her belongings.

That was a pretty foolish move knowing his temperament. But from your description "she" married a crackhead so that was the first mistake.
She had to wake him. They living in a double wide trailer. You can't move 70% of the furniture while someone sleeps without waking them.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

Chubs2287 wrote:
Bravo... You did the right thing and kept your cool. Had he come at you with the knife or helmet, I would have shot him.

It was tough to keep my cool. When I had to pull my firearm, my heart sank into my stomach. I couldn't believe what was happening.

I'm glad I didn't have to shoot him, but if you've ever had to actually pull on someone, it's kinda creepy.

gsx1138

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Chubs2287 wrote:

It was tough to keep my cool. When I had to pull my firearm, my heart sank into my stomach. I couldn't believe what was happening.

I'm glad I didn't have to shoot him, but if you've ever had to actually pull on someone, it's kinda creepy.
It's not all glorious like the movies. The closest I ever came was some guy getting out of his car to yell at me for following traffic rules. My first thought was, "please don't". I talked my way out of it. I'm a big guy but this man made me look like a shrimp.

eye95

imported post

Way to maintain your cool.

I'm glad your Mom wised up. Get her that protection order. If the loser violates it, call 911 again.

Anyway, I'm with the folks who say that the sleeping dog should've been allowed to lie--at least as long as possible. I think his going nutso was predictable.

Anyway, glad to hear everyone is OK. Stay vigilant, though. This guy may yet be trouble again.

45acpForMe

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Yeah. I'm having to watch my back. He told us on numerous occasions, (after the incident), he was going to kill me! Frankly, I'm sick of hearing it....

After getting the restraining order I would carry a voice recorder (assuming it is legal to record conversations in your state) so that you had some evidence of his threats. It is very frustrating how people get away with threats and intimidation and the police can't/won't do anything until physical violence is involved.

(you haven't so far but) Don't spout off about how you will handle the next attack, just in case there is a next attack and wind up explaining yourself in court.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
(you haven't so far but) Don't spout off about how you will handle the next attack, just in case there is a next attack and wind up explaining yourself in court.
Thanx for the advise, but I wouldn't say a word. I don't want any of this in the first place. I don't like to "talk future problems" or actions I may be forced to take. There is no need for that type of talk. :celebrate

protector84

imported post

Sorry to hear that that happened but at least the cops took care of it (for awhile). Personally, if I know I'm going into a situation where there is likely to be serious trouble, I will arm up with a variety of weapons. For instance, a taser could have been useful before he started threatening with a knife. The instant someone tells me they are going to hurt me, I would tell them once to back off and then if they continue I would tase them. I also may have considered bringing a shotgun along. Regardless, it sounds like you handled it well without having to use deadly force. I would continue to be vigilant for when he gets out of jail. While you don't want to shoot, if he does come at you with a dangerous object, you may have to. Good luck.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

I had a shotgun. I keep a 12ga. in the trunk.

I wish I had a taser. I want one I can shoot so I don't have to be that close to the person, but the cheapest I can find is in the hundreds of $.

ANyone know where I can find one cheaper? I have a birthday coming up.:D

lil_freak_66

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
I had a shotgun. I keep a 12ga. in the trunk.

I wish I had a taser. I want one I can shoot so I don't have to be that close to the person, but the cheapest I can find is in the hundreds of $.

ANyone know where I can find one cheaper? I have a birthday coming up.:D

remember,tasers arent legal in every state,which is BS...but its how it is

id suggest re-arming your mother and try not letting her be alone very muchany time soon.

i dont think i would've had the restraint to not fire in that situation,ive seen crackheads go all out on people on several occasions,my former neighbors about 2 years back got into it one night and the guys wife stabbed his girlfriend in the chest with a gian piece of broken window,nearly killing her,and she almost lost her hand because all ends of the glass were razor sharp,she didnt even care she had made a fillet out of her hand,crackheads are way too unpredictable.

glad you and your mother are physically okay though.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Good use of the built in safety feature(the one between your ears). If things went down exactly as you say, he is very lucky to still be alive.

Yet another violent incident that was ended/avoided by a firearm(without deadly force), Let's just hope this is the last incident you are or your mother are involved in with this...individual.

Chubs2287

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Chubs2287 wrote:

It's not all glorious like the movies. The closest I ever came was some guy getting out of his car to yell at me for following traffic rules. My first thought was, "please don't". I talked my way out of it. I'm a big guy but this man made me look like a shrimp.
Did I say it was like the movies "NO!" Ive had a gun put to my head and robbed for a couple of bucks, and I kept my cool the whole time. That is the reason I even carry a gun now. Don't put words in my mouth or even try to think of whats going on in my head.

Chubs2287

imported post

Lol, no. I believe it was gsx1138. He quoted you quoting me. And I should have said it a little nicer about it, but I wasn't happy about someone quoting me and then saying its not like the movies.

Sorry Hollowpoint