Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Don't be a ____ while OCing

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    I'm sorry if that is to blunt, and needs to be edited by a mod, but since this is a fourm OCing I'm gonna assume we are all adults who over 18 and are mature enough to operate firearms.

    I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a xxxxx with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a). I let it slide because people are building up behind him. I support the second amendment and have no problem with guns. But i hate people like him because he reflects negatively on all gun owners and won't help to calm anyone down. I know he would be preaching to the choir when he told me "Open carry is legal in Ohio, I'm a law abiding citizen who believes it is my duty to ensure my own safety as the police are mainly reactionary"

    I'm happy to let you walk around OCing as long as you like because weirdos notice cop cars and stay away ONLY if the cops are around. If they walk in and see customers armed it even more of a reason to find another location because "people around here are crazy and carry guns" so it not worth trying to shoot unarmed cashier if the customer in line behind them will fire a couple rounds off for me.

    One topic I have found I can relate to many of my customers on his firearms, in the 9months I have been there only two people have I noticed OCing outside of cops. Also, know of few customers who CC on a regular basis and have had good talks about guns and rights with them. I honestly didn't realize the first guy was OCing because it looked like a cell phone from the angle I was at and I was multitasking, or else I probably would have asked him. So considering, half the people OCing in my store have caused a negative experience if I wasn't for guns, it definitely wouldn't have helped my views.

    So in closing, Be extra courteous when OCing (especially if asked about gun), draw POSITIVE attention to yourself by holding doors open for that little old lady walking behind you if your the kind who normally wouldn't. In college our fraternity stressed that any negative thing you do in letters will come back on whole organization and while you should''t be doing stupid things in general, you never should do them wearing our letters. Same goes for guns, make it a positive image.

    Also, note I'm not out to bash cops, my dad is a cop, my grandfather was a cop, my great grandfaherwas a cop. My cousin is a cop, my second cousin is a retired cop. My best friend is in police academy to become a cop. My brother is in criminal justice. I know plenty of cops. Job getting to dangerous and plus they facing major layoffs with economy, so I opted for different path for now.

  2. #2
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    Dude, some folks are just xxxxx, whether they are OCing or not.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran Bookman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1,424

    Post imported post

    okboomer wrote:
    Dude, some folks are just xxxxx, whether they are OCing or not.
    +1

    I'm sorry you happened to meet someone like that. He is the exception, rather than the rule. I believe I speak for the majority when I say we WELCOME the opportunity to speak to others (nicely) about the legality of OC in our particular area. It's actually one of the reasons I carry.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    "I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    boredstudent wrote:
    ... Be extra courteous when OCing (especially if asked about gun), draw POSITIVE attention to yourself by holding doors open for that little old lady walking behind you if your the kind who normally wouldn't. ... Also, note I'm not out to bash cops,... I opted for different path for now.
    Beware the paradigm, consideration, expectation, then requirement.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    boredstudent wrote:
    I'm sorry if that is to blunt, and needs to be edited by a mod, but since this is a fourm OCing I'm gonna assume we are all adults who over 18 and are mature enough to operate firearms.

    I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a xxxxx with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a). I let it slide because people are building up behind him. I support the second amendment and have no problem with guns. But i hate people like him because he reflects negatively on all gun owners and won't help to calm anyone down. I know he would be preaching to the choir when he told me "Open carry is legal in Ohio, I'm a law abiding citizen who believes it is my duty to ensure my own safety as the police are mainly reactionary"

    I'm happy to let you walk around OCing as long as you like because weirdos notice cop cars and stay away ONLY if the cops are around. If they walk in and see customers armed it even more of a reason to find another location because "people around here are crazy and carry guns" so it not worth trying to shoot unarmed cashier if the customer in line behind them will fire a couple rounds off for me.

    One topic I have found I can relate to many of my customers on his firearms, in the 9months I have been there only two people have I noticed OCing outside of cops. Also, know of few customers who CC on a regular basis and have had good talks about guns and rights with them. I honestly didn't realize the first guy was OCing because it looked like a cell phone from the angle I was at and I was multitasking, or else I probably would have asked him. So considering, half the people OCing in my store have caused a negative experience if I wasn't for guns, it definitely wouldn't have helped my views.

    So in closing, Be extra courteous when OCing (especially if asked about gun), draw POSITIVE attention to yourself by holding doors open for that little old lady walking behind you if your the kind who normally wouldn't. In college our fraternity stressed that any negative thing you do in letters will come back on whole organization and while you should''t be doing stupid things in general, you never should do them wearing our letters. Same goes for guns, make it a positive image.

    Also, note I'm not out to bash cops, my dad is a cop, my grandfather was a cop, my great grandfaherwas a cop. My cousin is a cop, my second cousin is a retired cop. My best friend is in police academy to become a cop. My brother is in criminal justice. I know plenty of cops. Job getting to dangerous and plus they facing major layoffs with economy, so I opted for different path for now.
    Outstanding post, dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Jblack44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    boredstudent wrote:
    I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a ***** with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a).
    Not trying to bash you, but just wanted to point something out.It sounds like youstarted the conversation with a predisposed attitude. So he may of come back a little defensive because of it. And why is it BS for him to say the Constitution of the United States protects his Right to carry??

    I bet if you would of started the conversation with something like "Nice rig, what are you carrying?" The whole thing may of gone differently.And Ibet you wouldn't of considered him a "dick"



    Just something to think about when talking with someone who is OCing


    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Live Free or Die, ,
    Posts
    140

    Post imported post

    I've always thought you could stop the title of threads like this after the fourth word. No qualifer is needed.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Live Free or Die, ,
    Posts
    140

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    'Dick' is an unnecessarily pejorative prejudiced personal valuation and needs the qualifier to narrow the possibility of solipsistic tautology.
    Well, yes. There is that. That's a good point.



  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    ScottNH wrote:
    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    'Dick' is an unnecessarily pejorative prejudiced personal valuation and needs the qualifier to narrow the possibility of solipsistic tautology.
    Well, yes. There is that. That's a good point.
    Fritz Hollings' "Beavis and Bufflehead"? If not buffled then baffled.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    ScottNH, ugh, what's that hanging from the mouth of the one on the right?
    That's just not right...


    Anyway, boredstudent, I agree with you that people should not be morons while carryingor under any circumstance but at the same time, why would you ask someone if they're a cop? And you stated your intention; "to see if he was a ***** with a badge and entitlement." So were you seeking a confrontational conversation? As if you were looking for fisticuffs of words. And if you're assumption was that his justification was the 2nd Amendment regarding his BS statement, why is that so bad? At least he didn't say; "No I'm not a cop and I don't have to be!" In truth, the highest level of law in the land recognizes hisright to carry that gun in a shoulder holster and dress like he walked off the set of Miami Vice if he wanted to.

    I was not there and didn't here the entire conversation so I can't judge either one of you. But I am a ham radio operator and I am never a dick about it but I've been asked if I am a cop (this is way before I started carrying a firearm) and when I say no, before I can get the words "amateur radio" out of my mouth, they ask me "why I've got that radio" and "you're such a wanna be" or a "poser". So you'll have to forgive me, I don't cotton to a loaded question such as "Are you a cop?"

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558

    Post imported post

    Jblack44 wrote:
    boredstudent wrote:
    I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a ***** with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a).
    Not trying to bash you, but just wanted to point something out.It sounds like youstarted the conversation with a predisposed attitude. So he may of come back a little defensive because of it. And why is it BS for him to say the Constitution of the United States protects his Right to carry??

    I bet if you would of started the conversation with something like "Nice rig, what are you carrying?" The whole thing may of gone differently.And Ibet you wouldn't of considered him a "dick"



    Just something to think about when talking with someone who is OCing

    This, I am usually a dick when people get smart with me on why I carry, in the sense of a smart ass reply then anything else. In many cases when you have a person who is quiet rude in asking why or what ever their mind will never ever change, no matter how you respond. I have plenty of stories of rude people.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    zack991 wrote:
    I have plenty of stories of rude people.
    That's odd, I don't.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    zack991 wrote:
    I have plenty of stories of rude people.
    That's odd, I don't.
    Well I do work in Youngstown OH, which was Number 1 murder capital of the country just a few short years ago. Many people who see anyone trying to be independently free and not reliant on the gooberment here are an immediately a target. I work as a armed guard and I deal with people who many would avoid dealing with at all. Youngstown is common place that anyone carrying a gun for protection or protection of others is hated. I do have a few good conversation with people and enjoy those times but I have so many other people who hate the fact that I am there to protect people from wannebe thugs from robbing, rape, murder .

    I have been called every colorful word because I will not allow the thugs here to do as they please. People like this you have to be rude to show your not playing, if you allow them to control how you do your job you will be killed in the sh*t hole of a city. Am I rude to everyone, no. There are people whom I deal with that will continue to try to cause problems just because I am armed and have authority which is something they hate.

    For example I was asked by a woman would I kill a black man who tried to rob the store.

    I said I would shoot to stop the person and if he died because of it then serves him right.

    Her reply was he was just likely trying to provide for his family.


    I said no, proving for ones family is working a job from 9-5. Robbing a person who has worked for their money is only going to get them shot and killed. People like that only deserve to be worm food.

    The entire time she was getting more and more upset and walked out. Prior to us working there she was known to steal from the store on a constant bases, after we where hired for the contract, her and many like her no longer even get close to the store. I work in a entitlement hell hole and I will be happy when the government goes broke.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  14. #14
    Regular Member Bobarino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    I'm happy to let you walk around OCing as long as you like...

    haha! gee, thanks! that's mighty nice of you!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    Jblack44 wrote:
    boredstudent wrote:
    I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a dick when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a ***** with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a).
    Not trying to bash you, but just wanted to point something out.It sounds like youstarted the conversation with a predisposed attitude. So he may of come back a little defensive because of it. And why is it BS for him to say the Constitution of the United States protects his Right to carry??

    I bet if you would of started the conversation with something like "Nice rig, what are you carrying?" The whole thing may of gone differently.And Ibet you wouldn't of considered him a "dick"



    Just something to think about when talking with someone who is OCing

    + 1000

    I don't like the OP's approach either.. What do you ask the female customers that come into your store that purchase a bottle of Midol and a Box of Super absorbant Tampons?? Or for that matter a male that would come in and make the same purchase? Or a malecustomer that comes in and gets 4 quarters for a dollar and heads to the mens room? or purchases Condoms at your counter? THINK MAN, THINK !!!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post



    Well, at least this is interesting to read.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  17. #17
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884

    Post imported post

    I personally think that if you are carrying a firearm you give up your right to be an *******.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Eh? That makes no sense whatsoever.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    gsx1138 wrote:
    I personally think that if you are carrying a firearm you give up your right to be an @#$%.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot. It would just be wise to behave courteously while OCing.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    -10

  21. #21
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    boredstudent wrote:
    I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a xxxx with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a). I let it slide because people are building up behind him. I support the second amendment and have no problem with guns. But i hate people like him because he reflects negatively on all gun owners and won't help to calm anyone down. I know he would be preaching to the choir when he told me "Open carry is legal in Ohio, I'm a law abiding citizen who believes it is my duty to ensure my own safety as the police are mainly reactionary"




  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    +10 to eye95 and Interceptor_Knight, you all are too funny


  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    gsx1138 wrote:
    I personally think that if you are carrying a firearm you give up your right to be an @#$%.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot. It would just be wise to behave courteously while OCing.
    I think it would be just as wise to address OCers courteously.. If you ask people ignorant questions, you have left the ball in their court so don't be a whiner and cry about the reply you recieved.. GRIN AND BEAR IT !!

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    Why is you daughter not wearing a bra?

    Why is your wife overweight?

    Why don't you drive a pickup?

    Above all, why do you feel it's permissible to accost strangers in public with personal questions?

    I loathe intrusive people and owe them only minimal civility.

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    old dog wrote:
    Why is you daughter not wearing a bra?

    Why is your wife overweight?

    Why don't you drive a pickup?

    Above all, why do you feel it's permissible to accost strangers in public with personal questions?

    I loathe intrusive people and owe them only minimal civility.
    I'll agree there, certainly.

    It is one thing to talk to someone about something, in this case, talk to an OCer in regards to their weapon. There are better ways to go about asking someone if they are a cop without trying to see if they're a "*****" or "entitled".

    I recent attended a dinner here in NC and a patron that was eating with his family turned around and kind of jokingly and appropriately got our attention by stating something like "I'm not trying to listen in on your conversation but I noticed the guns. Are you all law enforcement or are you carrying openly because you can?"

    Now, all the OCer's found that appropriate and we responded appropriately, "because we can" and we followed up quickly with information and laws to back up that statement, which the OP would perhaps have considered abad statement to make but the gentleman was appreciative of the information and he had more questions for us. Everything was cool as cool heads prevail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •