• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't be a ____ while OCing

boredstudent

imported post

I'm sorry if that is to blunt, and needs to be edited by a mod, but since this is a fourm OCing I'm gonna assume we are all adults who over 18 and are mature enough to operate firearms.

I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a xxxxx with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a). I let it slide because people are building up behind him. I support the second amendment and have no problem with guns. But i hate people like him because he reflects negatively on all gun owners and won't help to calm anyone down. I know he would be preaching to the choir when he told me "Open carry is legal in Ohio, I'm a law abiding citizen who believes it is my duty to ensure my own safety as the police are mainly reactionary"

I'm happy to let you walk around OCing as long as you like because weirdos notice cop cars and stay away ONLY if the cops are around. If they walk in and see customers armed it even more of a reason to find another location because "people around here are crazy and carry guns" so it not worth trying to shoot unarmed cashier if the customer in line behind them will fire a couple rounds off for me.

One topic I have found I can relate to many of my customers on his firearms, in the 9months I have been there only two people have I noticed OCing outside of cops. Also, know of few customers who CC on a regular basis and have had good talks about guns and rights with them. I honestly didn't realize the first guy was OCing because it looked like a cell phone from the angle I was at and I was multitasking, or else I probably would have asked him. So considering, half the people OCing in my store have caused a negative experience if I wasn't for guns, it definitely wouldn't have helped my views.

So in closing, Be extra courteous when OCing (especially if asked about gun), draw POSITIVE attention to yourself by holding doors open for that little old lady walking behind you if your the kind who normally wouldn't. In college our fraternity stressed that any negative thing you do in letters will come back on whole organization and while you should''t be doing stupid things in general, you never should do them wearing our letters. Same goes for guns, make it a positive image.

Also, note I'm not out to bash cops, my dad is a cop, my grandfather was a cop, my great grandfaherwas a cop. My cousin is a cop, my second cousin is a retired cop. My best friend is in police academy to become a cop. My brother is in criminal justice. I know plenty of cops. Job getting to dangerous and plus they facing major layoffs with economy, so I opted for different path for now.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

okboomer wrote:
Dude, some folks are just xxxxx, whether they are OCing or not.
+1

I'm sorry you happened to meet someone like that. He is the exception, rather than the rule. I believe I speak for the majority when I say we WELCOME the opportunity to speak to others (nicely) about the legality of OC in our particular area. It's actually one of the reasons I carry.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

boredstudent wrote:
... Be extra courteous when OCing (especially if asked about gun), draw POSITIVE attention to yourself by holding doors open for that little old lady walking behind you if your the kind who normally wouldn't. ... Also, note I'm not out to bash cops,... I opted for different path for now.
Beware the paradigm, consideration, expectation, then requirement.

FightingGlock19

imported post

boredstudent wrote:
I'm sorry if that is to blunt, and needs to be edited by a mod, but since this is a fourm OCing I'm gonna assume we are all adults who over 18 and are mature enough to operate firearms.

I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a xxxxx with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a). I let it slide because people are building up behind him. I support the second amendment and have no problem with guns. But i hate people like him because he reflects negatively on all gun owners and won't help to calm anyone down. I know he would be preaching to the choir when he told me "Open carry is legal in Ohio, I'm a law abiding citizen who believes it is my duty to ensure my own safety as the police are mainly reactionary"

I'm happy to let you walk around OCing as long as you like because weirdos notice cop cars and stay away ONLY if the cops are around. If they walk in and see customers armed it even more of a reason to find another location because "people around here are crazy and carry guns" so it not worth trying to shoot unarmed cashier if the customer in line behind them will fire a couple rounds off for me.

One topic I have found I can relate to many of my customers on his firearms, in the 9months I have been there only two people have I noticed OCing outside of cops. Also, know of few customers who CC on a regular basis and have had good talks about guns and rights with them. I honestly didn't realize the first guy was OCing because it looked like a cell phone from the angle I was at and I was multitasking, or else I probably would have asked him. So considering, half the people OCing in my store have caused a negative experience if I wasn't for guns, it definitely wouldn't have helped my views.

So in closing, Be extra courteous when OCing (especially if asked about gun), draw POSITIVE attention to yourself by holding doors open for that little old lady walking behind you if your the kind who normally wouldn't. In college our fraternity stressed that any negative thing you do in letters will come back on whole organization and while you should''t be doing stupid things in general, you never should do them wearing our letters. Same goes for guns, make it a positive image.

Also, note I'm not out to bash cops, my dad is a cop, my grandfather was a cop, my great grandfaherwas a cop. My cousin is a cop, my second cousin is a retired cop. My best friend is in police academy to become a cop. My brother is in criminal justice. I know plenty of cops. Job getting to dangerous and plus they facing major layoffs with economy, so I opted for different path for now.
Outstanding post, dude

Jblack44

imported post

boredstudent wrote:
I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a prick with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a).

Not trying to bash you, but just wanted to point something out.It sounds like youstarted the conversation with a predisposed attitude. So he may of come back a little defensive because of it. And why is it BS for him to say the Constitution of the United States protects his Right to carry??

I bet if you would of started the conversation with something like "Nice rig, what are you carrying?" The whole thing may of gone differently.And Ibet you wouldn't of considered him a "dick"

Just something to think about when talking with someone who is OCing :)

ScottNH

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
'Dick' is an unnecessarily pejorative prejudiced personal valuation and needs the qualifier to narrow the possibility of solipsistic tautology.

Well, yes. There is that. That's a good point.

huh.jpg

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ScottNH, ugh, what's that hanging from the mouth of the one on the right?
That's just not right...

Anyway, boredstudent, I agree with you that people should not be morons while carryingor under any circumstance but at the same time, why would you ask someone if they're a cop? And you stated your intention; "to see if he was a prick with a badge and entitlement." So were you seeking a confrontational conversation? As if you were looking for fisticuffs of words. And if you're assumption was that his justification was the 2nd Amendment regarding his BS statement, why is that so bad? At least he didn't say; "No I'm not a cop and I don't have to be!" In truth, the highest level of law in the land recognizes hisright to carry that gun in a shoulder holster and dress like he walked off the set of Miami Vice if he wanted to.

I was not there and didn't here the entire conversation so I can't judge either one of you. But I am a ham radio operator and I am never a dick about it but I've been asked if I am a cop (this is way before I started carrying a firearm) and when I say no, before I can get the words "amateur radio" out of my mouth, they ask me "why I've got that radio" and "you're such a wanna be" or a "poser". So you'll have to forgive me, I don't cotton to a loaded question such as "Are you a cop?"

zack991

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
boredstudent wrote:
I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a prick with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a).

Not trying to bash you, but just wanted to point something out.It sounds like youstarted the conversation with a predisposed attitude. So he may of come back a little defensive because of it. And why is it BS for him to say the Constitution of the United States protects his Right to carry??

I bet if you would of started the conversation with something like "Nice rig, what are you carrying?" The whole thing may of gone differently.And Ibet you wouldn't of considered him a "dick"

This, I am usually a dick when people get smart with me on why I carry, in the sense of a smart ass reply then anything else. In many cases when you have a person who is quiet rude in asking why or what ever their mind will never ever change, no matter how you respond. I have plenty of stories of rude people.

zack991

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
zack991 wrote:
I have plenty of stories of rude people.
That's odd, I don't.
Well I do work in Youngstown OH, which was Number 1 murder capital of the country just a few short years ago. Many people who see anyone trying to be independently free and not reliant on the gooberment here are an immediately a target. I work as a armed guard and I deal with people who many would avoid dealing with at all. Youngstown is common place that anyone carrying a gun for protection or protection of others is hated. I do have a few good conversation with people and enjoy those times but I have so many other people who hate the fact that I am there to protect people from wannebe thugs from robbing, rape, murder .

I have been called every colorful word because I will not allow the thugs here to do as they please. People like this you have to be rude to show your not playing, if you allow them to control how you do your job you will be killed in the sh*t hole of a city. Am I rude to everyone, no. There are people whom I deal with that will continue to try to cause problems just because I am armed and have authority which is something they hate.

For example I was asked by a woman would I kill a black man who tried to rob the store.

I said I would shoot to stop the person and if he died because of it then serves him right.

Her reply was he was just likely trying to provide for his family.

I said no, proving for ones family is working a job from 9-5. Robbing a person who has worked for their money is only going to get them shot and killed. People like that only deserve to be worm food.

The entire time she was getting more and more upset and walked out. Prior to us working there she was known to steal from the store on a constant bases, after we where hired for the contract, her and many like her no longer even get close to the store. I work in a entitlement hell hole and I will be happy when the government goes broke.

Carnivore

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
boredstudent wrote:
I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a dick when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a prick with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a).

+ 1000

I don't like the OP's approach either.. What do you ask the female customers that come into your store that purchase a bottle of Midol and a Box of Super absorbant Tampons?? Or for that matter a male that would come in and make the same purchase? Or a malecustomer that comes in and gets 4 quarters for a dollar and heads to the mens room? or purchases Condoms at your counter? THINK MAN, THINK !!!

eye95

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
I personally think that if you are carrying a firearm you give up your right to be an @#$%.
Everyone has the right to be an idiot. It would just be wise to behave courteously while OCing.