• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't be a ____ while OCing

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

boredstudent wrote:
I am a cashier at a convenience store and ask you all not to be a xxxx when asked about your gun. I had a man about a month ago come in with a shoulder holster. I asked him if he was a cop to see if he was a xxxx with a badge and entitlement, as most of the cops for the small mostly upper class town I work at are . Instead of saying he supports the second amendment and telling me it legal, he gave me some BS about being authorized by the highest levels of government(I assume 2a). I let it slide because people are building up behind him. I support the second amendment and have no problem with guns. But i hate people like him because he reflects negatively on all gun owners and won't help to calm anyone down. I know he would be preaching to the choir when he told me "Open carry is legal in Ohio, I'm a law abiding citizen who believes it is my duty to ensure my own safety as the police are mainly reactionary"
coolstorybro.jpg

Carnivore

imported post

eye95 wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:
I personally think that if you are carrying a firearm you give up your right to be an @#$%.
Everyone has the right to be an idiot. It would just be wise to behave courteously while OCing.
I think it would be just as wise to address OCers courteously.. If you ask people ignorant questions, you have left the ball in their court so don't be a whiner and cry about the reply you recieved.. GRIN AND BEAR IT !!

old dog

imported post

Why is you daughter not wearing a bra?

Why is your wife overweight?

Why don't you drive a pickup?

Above all, why do you feel it's permissible to accost strangers in public with personal questions?

I loathe intrusive people and owe them only minimal civility.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

old dog wrote:

Above all, why do you feel it's permissible to accost strangers in public with personal questions?

I'll agree there, certainly.

It is one thing to talk to someone about something, in this case, talk to an OCer in regards to their weapon. There are better ways to go about asking someone if they are a cop without trying to see if they're a "prick" or "entitled".

I recent attended a dinner here in NC and a patron that was eating with his family turned around and kind of jokingly and appropriately got our attention by stating something like "I'm not trying to listen in on your conversation but I noticed the guns. Are you all law enforcement or are you carrying openly because you can?"

Now, all the OCer's found that appropriate and we responded appropriately, "because we can" and we followed up quickly with information and laws to back up that statement, which the OP would perhaps have considered abad statement to make but the gentleman was appreciative of the information and he had more questions for us. Everything was cool as cool heads prevail.

boredstudent

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
old dog wrote:

I'll agree there, certainly.

It is one thing to talk to someone about something, in this case, talk to an OCer in regards to their weapon. There are better ways to go about asking someone if they are a cop without trying to see if they're a "prick" or "entitled".

I recent attended a dinner here in NC and a patron that was eating with his family turned around and kind of jokingly and appropriately got our attention by stating something like "I'm not trying to listen in on your conversation but I noticed the guns. Are you all law enforcement or are you carrying openly because you can?"

Now, all the OCer's found that appropriate and we responded appropriately, "because we can" and we followed up quickly with information and laws to back up that statement, which the OP would perhaps have considered abad statement to make but the gentleman was appreciative of the information and he had more questions for us. Everything was cool as cool heads prevail.

Yeah, I could have probably asked it better, maybe I will ask the way you suggested.

eye95

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
eye95 wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:
I personally think that if you are carrying a firearm you give up your right to be an @#$%.
Everyone has the right to be an idiot. It would just be wise to behave courteously while OCing.
I think it would be just as wise to address OCers courteously.. If you ask people ignorant questions, you have left the ball in their court so don't be a whiner and cry about the reply you recieved.. GRIN AND BEAR IT !!
When you get a stupid question, just go all Bill Engvall on their butt.

Q: Is that a gun on your belt?

A: No, it's a water pistol. I get thirsty a lot. Here's yer sign.

(Alternatively, A: No, it's a water pistol. Wanna drink? Here's yer sign.)

KYKevin

imported post

Why is you daughter not wearing a bra? I had to buy ammo. A bra is expensive.

Why is your wife overweight? So I can stand behind her when I shoot.

Why don't you drive a pickup? It was this gun or the truck. I got the gun.

Sorry could not resist answering.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

old dog wrote:

I have always said that there are no stupid questions..... only stupid people.

KYKevin

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
old dog wrote:

I have always said that there are no stuped questions..... only stupid people.

I never could understand why people would come up and ask such questions. I mean what right do they have to question your lifestyle. If what someone is doing does not infringe on me or I don't see them harming someone I don't bother them.

I guess you just can't fix stupid.

XD40coyote

imported post

I never could understand why people would come up and ask such questions. I mean what right do they have to question your lifestyle. If what someone is doing does not infringe on me or I don't see them harming someone I don't bother them
But what if you are OCing wearing this?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Usually when someone stares at a persons firearm, then looks at them and the first words out of their mouth are "Are you a cop?"
Any futureinteractionis already going downhill, rapidly.

I would be willing to betthat most ofthe people that get asked the "Are you a cop"will quickly hear "Then why are you carrying a gun?" shortly after answering that they are not a cop.

In nearly every instance like this, the person asking the questionswillstart usinga barrage of statements that are aimed at doing nothing but trying to belittle that person for exercising his/her 2A rights.

Maybe the guy just expected the same from you by the tone of disgust for cops which was present your voice, or your body language and figured he would just end the conversation right there. and not give you a chance to be a dick about it.

Lets look at this from his side, he is an area well known for liberal entitlement professionals. And he has some young college kid working at a convenience store(Which has entitlement written all over his face)giving him crap.
How would you respond?

In a state like Ohio, I bet the guy who was O-C'ing gets crap like that all the time.