• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keepin' it cool....

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I saw this response to a post on the WA State forum and it made me start thinking.

G22paddy wrote: "LOL, what's funny is the antis are causing more of a problem and bothering people more than anyone else."

He's right, you know. The anti-gun crowd is making more waves and raising WAY more hell than we ever have over the issue of Starbucks allowing us to OC in their stores. So now may be the time to chill out a bit and let them go ahead and cut their own throats.

What do I mean by chilling out? I mean no large groups at Starbucks. Sure, go ahead and meet there, but if the group starts to swell to more than 10 or twelve people it's time to find another venue anyway, so you don't inconvenience the other customers. I mean, Starbucks has shown us the respect we're entitled to as law abiding citizens and I think we should do the same for them.

After all, if we do a semi-fade and the Brady Kids keep yelling it will most likely antagonize Starbucks to the point that they become even more determined than they already are not to cave on this issue.

Prophet

imported post

I disagree. If we semi-fade the Brady bunch will think they have gotten a foothold and the media will respond in kind. Then the image and headlines will be "Open Carry movement wanes after public outcry".

No, instead of fading we need to press the issue and do MORE (by that I mean to have more people OC) so that knowledge matriculates through the populace and overcomes the irrationality of the anti-gun kooks.

Prophet

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Prophet wrote: 
that knowledge matriculates through
Percolates?

No, though percolate would work, i meant matriculate, but used in a lesser of its definitions.

ma·tric·u·late (mə-trĭk'yə-lāt')
ma·tric·u·lat·ed, ma·tric·u·lat·ing, ma·tric·u·lates
To admit or be admitted into a group, especially a college or university.

I used knowledge as the noun that would the subject seeking admittance and the general populace being the group.

In so forth that our continued practice of OC would let knowledge be admitted to the brains of the people. Or in other worlds be matriculated.

*edited for boldness

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Prophet wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Prophet wrote:
that knowledge matriculates through
Percolates?
No, though percolate would work, i meant matriculate, but used in a lesser of its definitions.

ma·tric·u·late (mə-trĭk'yə-lāt')
ma·tric·u·lat·ed, ma·tric·u·lat·ing, ma·tric·u·lates
To admit or be admitted into a group, especially a college or university.

I used knowledge as the noun that would the subject seeking admittance and the general populace being the group.

In so forth that our continued practice of OC would let knowledge be admitted to the brains of the people. Or in other worlds be matriculated.
Uh huh.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's just a thought. You don't have to agree. That's what so wonderful about this country. I just thought it would be fun to watch them cut their own throats while we peacefully go about our own business and respect Starbucks request to leave them out of the political debate.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree, we do not need to be on the news with big groups of OCers and confrontations. Go about your normal business. Meet up with fellow Ocers at the local coffee shop, but keep the groups manageble. Be aware that there are Brady lurkers on this site and they will try and crash our meet ups. If you suspect or encounter them at a coffee shop, DO NOT engage them in discussion near the coffee shop. Politely sit quietly and enjoy your coffee and ignore their presence. Let them look like fools. We are not fools and we need to be on our best behavior. Remember we are not the only one's with voice recorders and camera's. And to the second poster who disagreed with the original poster, yes I agree with you too! We need to go and be seen more often! But, without incident.

Go about your daily routine and help normalize the sight of properly carried handguns in publice settings.

zack991

imported post

Prophet wrote:
I disagree. If we semi-fade the Brady bunch will think they have gotten a foothold and the media will respond in kind. Then the image and headlines will be "Open Carry movement wanes after public outcry".

No, instead of fading we need to press the issue and do MORE (by that I mean to have more people OC) so that knowledge matriculates through the populace and overcomes the irrationality of the anti-gun kooks.
AGREED. We had been told to stay quiet for way too long by many pro gun groups. I think we do need to keep the groups small, but we must not give into the PC pressure to hide because it offends people.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

How about easing off on Starbucks to give them breathing space, but waltzing all around the areas the Bradyites need to transverse to get to their hate session?

You know--walking or lounging with your Starbucks cup of latte along the route.

Who knows what might eventuate--around the Million Moms March time a group of soccer moms was going to deliver anti gun fliers door to door then reneged for fear one of the home owners might be a firearms owner. Frightened by their own bigoted propaganda.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I want to clarify something here. I never said to hide, and I don't mean to. I just mean to keep my interactions at Starbucks as non-political as possible. If you are at one and the Brady Bunch shows up, simply be polite and continue about your business. If they get in your face, ask the management for help, or call the police. DON'T give them anything they can use; no smart remarks or witty rejoinders. Our mission is to normalize the appearance of guns in society, so let THEM be the ones to cause a disturbance.

If we give them the rope they WILL hang themselves with it.

zack991

imported post

Bookman wrote:
I want to clarify something here. I never said to hide, and I don't mean to. I just mean to keep my interactions at Starbucks as non-political as possible. If you are at one and the Brady Bunch shows up, simply be polite and continue about your business. If they get in your face, ask the management for help, or call the police. DON'T give them anything they can use; no smart remarks or witty rejoinders. Our mission is to normalize the appearance of guns in society, so let THEM be the ones to cause a disturbance.

Everything we do is political, we should never go out to pick a debate. Yet if we get into a debate know your talking points and do it with zero screaming or anger. Allow them to look like the fools, we are to show people that it is a right still practiced for protection and for a political message. Oc'ers know we do it for a political message as well as protection.

I read all the time from the NRA and other groups to not rock the boat and just bail the water out of the ship to stay afloat, verses taking a defense in patching the holes sicking our ship. People need to wake up and quite this nonsense of being passive, fight fire with fire but do it with class and respect and allow them to look barbaric. Understand your talking point 100% so you can do them in your sleep, so when asked you are not tongue tied. Let them get frustrated because they can't pin you down with false facts.

AbNo

imported post

zack991 wrote:
.... fight fire with fire but do it with class and respect and allow them to look barbaric. Understand your talking point 100% so you can do them in your sleep, so when asked you are not tongue tied. Let them get frustrated because they can't pin you down with false facts.
This.

Be educated.

Be polite.

Be efficient.

Has a plan to ki- .... no wait, wrong advice. :uhoh:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zack991 wrote:
Bookman wrote:

Everything we do is political, we should never go out to pick a debate. Yet if we get into a debate know your talking points and do it with zero screaming or anger. Allow them to look like the fools, we are to show people that it is a right still practiced for protection and for a political message. Oc'ers know we do it for a political message as well as protection.

I read all the time from the NRA and other groups to not rock the boat and just bail the water out of the ship to stay afloat, verses taking a defense in patching the holes sicking our ship. People need to wake up and quite this nonsense of being passive, fight fire with fire but do it with class and respect and allow them to look barbaric. Understand your talking point 100% so you can do them in your sleep, so when asked you are not tongue tied. Let them get frustrated because they can't pin you down with false facts.

All good points and they actually amplify what I'm trying to say. Go about your business as usual, be prepared, but don't provoke a confrontation. HOWEVER, if you find yourself being confronted, keep your cool but don't back down. We're right and we know it. That means we have the luxury of of sitting back, unless provoked, and saying and doing nothing that would give the antis a soundbite.