• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB: Respectable or Thuggish?

Pace

imported post

Pretty much IWB will get a stare, because it doesn't look "normal." PEople who carry SERPA holsters for Glocks or similar guns, get less attention because they look like cop guns. Someone with a revolver tucked into their back pocket might get more MWAG calls.

I never get MWAG (that I know of) anymore, especially when wearing my instructor jacket :)

Seriously, look professional, less problems. Your choice however no?

SemperFiTexan

imported post

I ride a motorcycle year round; it is my only transportation (after the divorce!). What I have been trying to discover is weather and IWB or shoulder carry would be best; for both security of the wpn as well as ability to access the wpn when needed.

While I am totally against ALL laws regulating the carrying of wpns, either OC oir CC, I have finally decided to get a CHL.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One_Shot wrote:
I ride a motorcycle year round; it is my only transportation (after the divorce!). What I have been trying to discover is weather and IWB or shoulder carry would be best; for both security of the wpn as well as ability to access the wpn when needed.

While I am totally against ALL laws regulating the carrying of wpns, either OC oir CC, I have finally decided to get a CHL.
Probably would do better to post that question in the 'Holsters' forum. Good luck!:)

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One_Shot wrote:
I ride a motorcycle year round; it is my only transportation (after the divorce!).  What I have been trying to discover is weather and IWB or shoulder carry would be best; for both security of the wpn as well as ability to access the wpn when needed. 

If you wear your pants securely, an IWB should be secure enough to hold your gun but when I ride my motorcycle, I am typically pretty paranoid about losing stuff and I've gone over hard bumps that if I lost something I probably wouldn't notice until I checked for it. I ride most of my gear all the time if not all gear all of the time so all that stuff can mask your feeling of an IWB'd gun in your pants. Hell, even if you notice it slipped out right away, it's probably too late or too dangerous to try and reach for it and secure it. Best to carry it in a secure fashion, whether that would be an obviously secure retention belt or tight paddle holster or a shoulder holster. Whatever works for you.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pace wrote:
Pretty much IWB will get a stare, because it doesn't look "normal." PEople who carry SERPA holsters for Glocks or similar guns, get less attention because they look like cop guns. Someone with a revolver tucked into their back pocket might get more MWAG calls.

I never get MWAG (that I know of) anymore, especially when wearing my instructor jacket :)

Seriously, look professional, less problems. Your choice however no?
I'd have to disagree. I get a lot more stares with a XD in a serpa than in a galco thumbreak. The gun sticks out more and more of the gun is visible. Also, people around here are more used to seeing leather holsters (for multitools, flashlights, etc.). YMMV
I definitely agree that it pays to look professional.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pace wrote:
Cops dont carry Serpa there?
Most cops I've seen use Safariland and the like, both in CA and in VA.

In fact, last time I was in VA I OCed my XD in its Safariland holster (on a regular dress style pistol belt), and all I got were questions if I was a cop (and this is with my long hair).

Never happens with my 1911 in a Serpa.

Then again, considering the post a couple above mine, maybe it has as much to do with the width of the XD as anything else.

I believe the 1911 is ideal for unobtrusive, non-ostentatious civilian EDC, at least in the right holster. I barely notice it's there, and I don't get any of the stares or "are you a cop" silliness.