• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB: Respectable or Thuggish?

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I typically OC with Galco OWB holsters. I think they're of good quality, I like thumb break retention, and most of all I think they just look classy. I'm basically a form follows function type of guy, but when I OC I try to look tidy and clean cut.
However, there are many nice leather IWB holsters out there, and the IWB look can also be quite tidy looking (VA tuck?)

The woman in the pic looks pretty respectable to me. My questions are: All else being equal, have you received differing reactions from citizens or police when OCing OWB or IWB? Do you think non-OCers are more likely to think 'criminal' when seeing a gun IWB?

I'm not trying to make a point that OCers should carry or dress a particular way as I oppose the idea of an OC dress code. I'm just curious about your experiences.
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I see nothing wrong with using an IWB holster for OC, if that's what you want to do, as long as you're going to be tucking your shirt in anyway. If you AREN'T going to be tucking yiur shirt in you'll probably and up CCing more times than not, so be sure you have a permit/license before doing so.

Other than that it's a matter of personal preference.

Jblack44

imported post

I OC quite often with a IWB Don Hume holster. I do like the fact that it holds the weapon tighter to my side than my Serpa. Sometimes with the Serpa, it gets in the way while doing things.

That being said I do have a CPL, and there was an issue with a OC'er carrying IWB and was cited for it. It didn't go to court (plea bargin) so it's still fuzzy in Michigan if IWB is concidered OC or CC.

emcsqrd

imported post

I personally prefer the IWB holster for OC and CC. I have had my VA CHP for over a year now, and when I first got it, I CC'd everywhere except restaurants that served alcohol (we don't have that law yet, hopefully after July 1, 2010), however, I have started to OC the majority of the time in hopes of desensitizing the sheeple. I like the IWB because it allows me to switch between OC and CC merely by tucking or untucking my shirt. I am not sure if one "looks" better than the other, I personally like the weapon being closer to me.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

IWB's look just fine for any style of clothing that can accept them. The only time IWB looks foolishly "gangsta" or "thuggish" (which is all poppycock terminologyanyway) is when it is worn directly over the croch area. I don't much like that look.

IWB equals fine and if you ever want to conceal, it is easier than with a full blown belt or paddle holster.

AbNo

imported post

Ah, IWB, aka "The Virginia Tuck", as I'm sure someone is about to refer to it.

I'd consider it, but I don't have an IWB holster of any kind.

45acpForMe

imported post

My first holster was an IWB.

Then I realized I was fat and it wasn't that comfortable. :)

I use it rarely but don't think it looks thuggish in any way.

I prefer OC in a OWB holster and if I am going to CC it is in one of my pockets (coat or pants).

Dreamer

imported post

Everyone here knows that the laws regarding OC in most states have nothing to do with the configuration of the holster, but rather with whether or not a gun is "easily idenfiable and plainly visible as a gun". We can all discuss this ad nauseum, and will come to pretty much the same conclusion--OC using an IWB holster is OK, legal, and can be (in some situations) more practical than OWB carry...

Personally, i think a nicely-designed IWB holster can look classy, especially if you are dressed up a little (like in slacks and a shirt and tie). I don't think it looks particularly 'thuggish", but when you are "dressed down" (like in jeans and a t-shirt) it can look a bit "too casual" with regards to carrying a gun--especially a full-sized 1911 like I carry.

We need to remember that the people we need to consider when it comes to "appearance" are NOT other OCers or knowledgeable gun owners--it's the people who dont know anything about guns and holsters and carry in general that we need to be mindful of. THOSE people are going to be the ones frantically dialing 911 on their cellphones when they see a big grip sticking out of your pants. Carrying in a configuration that triggers their programmed negative response is just sort of courting a bad situation, IMO. It sucks that we have to think about that, but the majority of the public HAS been VERY successfully programmed to associate IWB carry with criminals and thugs.

HOWEVER, the fact remains that the people who are going to call the cops about "some guy with a gun in his waistband" are NOT well-educated OC proponents. They are brainwashed anti's who's only exposure to people carrying a firearm inside the waistband are the thugs and criminals they see on COPS and in the movies. These types of people see the grip of a handgun poking out of your waistband and they immediately are going to thing "THUG", or that you are goob trying VERY unsuccessfully to carry concealed.

I carry OC and CC, depending on the weather, and the situation. I use my Serpa almost ALL the time, unless I want to keep a REALLY slim and discrete profile (or I'm not wearing a bulky jacket). When I want to keep a low profile, I use an older Galco IWB, and it works great. But I usually only use the IWB for CC. I've never used it for OC, because I just don't have the time or the inclination to deal with some brainwashed soccer mom, or some statute-twisting LEO, trying to explain why my holster--which was DESIGNED FOR CONCEALED CARRY--was being worn so that my gun was visible. Unless I'm dressed up in a suite, and perhaps take off my jacket at dinner or something, I just don't see much need to carry IWB, but in an OC configuration. I spent good money on a Serpa for OC, and it works WAY better for that than ANY IWB holster ever would...

In for a penny, in for a pound. If you're going to OC, get an OC-appropriate holster. There are plenty of OWB holsters that are high, tight, and slim-profile. Get a Galco FLETCH or Side Snap Scabbard or a Bianchi or one of the new Blackhawk Leather units...

But of course, that is just my opinion. YMMV...

HardChrome

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Ah, IWB, aka "The Virginia Tuck", as I'm sure someone is about to refer to it.

I'd consider it, but I don't have an IWB holster of any kind.
I've been carrying for over 25 years this way, both concealed and open, and I don't use a holster. I carry it on the opposite side. Sounds strange until you try it. Sure beats a holster on the strong side while driving.

t33j

imported post

WTF? VA tuck all day...
Never even considered them different except that I find OWB more comfortable

@HardChrome: Do you have a clip on your gun, wear your belt really tight or what?

HardChrome

imported post

t33j wrote:
@HardChrome: Do you have a clip on your gun, wear your belt really tight or what?
My pants and belt fit pretty tightly and I found that my pistol fits securely just behind my left hip. It's a crossdraw to get to it but it's so much more comfortable and convenient to any holster I've ever had. I'll sometimes wear my competition holster (I don't shoot competition) but I carry this way 90% of the time.

I carry an NF Hi-Power which has a narrow slide and frame but a double stack mag so it never drops and never falls out.

t33j

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
t33j wrote:
My pants and belt fit pretty tightly and I found that my pistol fits securely just behind my left hip. It's a crossdraw to get to it but it's so much more comfortable and convenient to any holster I've ever had. I'll sometimes wear my competition holster (I don't shoot competition) but I carry this way 90% of the time.

I carry an NF Hi-Power which has a narrow slide and frame but a double stack mag so it never drops and never falls out.
Cool. I know a guy that lives in Va Beach who carries a 1911 with a grip clip ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...ce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=10613 ). He has to watch out for rust but that might be more due to the salt.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
"Do you think non-OCers are more likely to think 'criminal' when seeing a gun IWB?" -- petrophase

No, they'd probably think "cop."

IMO, neither mode of carry is "thuggish."

-- Jhon D.
A cop? I've never seen a cop carry IWB on duty. When I lived in Baltimore City I did see self-described thugs try to walk with guns shoved down their pants.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

It's not what YOU think, it's what the average (cluless) person thinks: Cop.

Until people get used to seeing LOTS of us carying, they will continue to think "he/she must be a cop" as the nuances of IWB vs. OWB are presently lost on them (or even what IWB/OWB means).

As for the thugs of which you speak, how can they carry a gun like that while their pants are down around their knees showing their ass in sissy-looking underwear? Do they carry to protect themselves from their tricks?

;)

-- John D.

tcmech

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I am going to get a IWB for my Glock soon. Nothing wrong with them at all.

That's how I carry my glock 36. I do carry the 17 in a serpa though.