• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Young, female and bearing arms?

andiewrites

imported post

I’m a journalist based in London working for a range of glossy women’s magazines, and I’m working on an article on the pro-gun movement from a female point of view.

Guns are often seen as a ‘guy thing’, but I’m willing to bet there are lots of women who carry guns, and I’d love to speak to them.

I’d really like to talk to smart, aspirational and eloquent young women in their 20s who can tell me about how what a difference gun carrying makes to their lives – in terms of self-protection, empowerment and feeling secure.

Mike suggested I put this request out to you guys – I’m seeking OC and CC supporters both – I hope you can help me. If you’d like to, please post here, or message me.

Thanks for your support!

Andreina Cordani

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran

OC4me

imported post

Here is one named Breda, she also happens to be a guest host on the 'Gun Nuts' podcast, so she is very knowledgeable on the whole gun rights issue. Iunderstand thatshe open carries as well. At the very least, she might also know ofsome other female open carriers too!

There is a contact button on this page for her.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thebreda

You can also Google 'Gun Nuts' podcast and call into the show to get her contact info if needed.

andiewrites

imported post

Thanks to everyone for your guidance so far, and to the ladies who have PM'd me too. Keep the suggestions coming, they're all gratefully received!

Andreina

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

andiewrites wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your guidance so far, and to the ladies who have PM'd me too. Keep the suggestions coming, they're all gratefully received!

Andreina
If you happen to get near Richmond, Va., consider attending one of our OC dinners.

They are normally on the 2nd Tuesday of each month - participants are a diverse cross section of local people - men, women and children.

We'd love for you to be our guest.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

These are just a few of the women who are 1) blogging and 2) into guns:

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/Tam

http://www.atomicnerds.com/stingray

http://phlegmfatale.blogspot.com/phlegmfatale

http://hollys-hystrionics.blogspot.com/holly

http://mausersandmuffins.blogspot.com/brigid

http://injennifershead.com/jennifer

http://lookingforlissa.wordpress.com/lissa

Not that I'm speaking for any or all of them but they all probably would be willing to correspond with you.

stay safe.

skidmark

InJennifersHead

imported post

I'm not in my 20s, but I would be happy to chat with you! I'm Jennifer of In Jennifer's Head that was linked earlier. Joined the forum so I could respond.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

InJennifersHead wrote:
I'm not in my 20s, but I would be happy to chat with you! I'm Jennifer of In Jennifer's Head that was linked earlier. Joined the forum so I could respond.
Welcome to OCDO Jennifer. Appreciate your response.

Perhaps you'll stay a spell after you look around. We could use the input and perspective from such as yourself here.

Yata hey

KansasMustang

imported post

And,,no offense ladies, I still say there's nothing sexier than a woman with a weapon, that knows how to use it and proudly stands to defend herself!!!:what:

okboomer

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
And,,no offense ladies, I still say there's nothing sexier than a woman with a weapon, that knows how to use it and proudly stands to defend herself!!!:what:
Thanks, I resemble that remark :lol:

Victorias Secret? who needs that when we got some nice cool steel at our side :celebrate

'Course, one of those bustiers and some sheer ... well, I had better stop before someone gets all hot and bothered :D

Michigander

imported post

andiewrites wrote:
I’d really like to talk to smart, aspirational and eloquent young women in their 20s who can tell me about how what a difference gun carrying makes to their lives – in terms of self-protection, empowerment and feeling secure.
Very few people I have ever spoken to about it who carry as a lifestyle choice do so because it makes them feel more secure as a rule. In the opinions of some psychologists I have spoken to, this is often a sign of mental instability or paranoia.

Most often times, those who carry weapons do so because they understand that it does make them safer from attackers in the unlikely event they'll see any, not because they are constantly watching over their shoulders, afraid of some boogie man they'll probably never see.

You can add to that other reasons, like some people here carrying openly as a political statement, or to generally discourage crime in their neighborhoods (which does work, as many here have experienced).

For the record, I am a 23 year old man, and I don't know any 20 something women who carry, so my opinions aren't exactly what you're looking for. :uhoh:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a 15 and a 17 year old daughter. When they are of age they will carry. Thier mom carries. They understand the reasons. While I believe the foremost reason is to counter tyranny, the second most important reason is defense of one's self. And if we take to defense the most compelling reason for self defense is that of the minority. Those smaller in stature (myself included), women, racial minorities, gay and lesbians, etc.. are the targets of crime. I wish this was talked about more, it seems that gun owners are pigeon holed into big middle aged white men. Truth be told it is everyone else that should be armed for the defense of themselves. It is not a 6'2 white male that is raped. It is not that same male that is beaten if he is gay. It is not the majority male that is harrased and killed if he is black. The proper use and carrying of firearms in the minority community would go a long ways towards equal rights. "All men are created equal..." However, all men (and women) find themselves being treated unequally in the commission of a crime. To equal the criminal a firearm is a beneficial tool.

I applaud all of you women who choose to carry. Keep it up and share it with your daughters and sons. Share it with other women who may be resistant to firearms. Share it with other minority groups.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

okboomer wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:
Thanks, I resemble that remark :lol:

Victorias Secret? who needs that when we got some nice cool steel at our side :celebrate

'Course, one of those bustiers and some sheer ... well, I had better stop before someone gets all hot and bothered :D
Damn.....too late!!! :lol:

XD40coyote

imported post

I'm 37, but people always thinkI am 20 something. However I cannot carry as a full lifestyle becauseI live in " a different country than the rest of the US", so my carrying is at home in a rural area, and whenI go to nearby PA. I've only been doing it about1.5 years too.

The at home stuff is mainly in case of foxes attacking my poultry, or rabid animals wandering around. It has happened before and can happen again.

In PA I don't go far when there and stay in small towns that have been suburbanized. Even so, there is some crime there, and any sort of crazed shooter scene can happen anywhere, you never know when or where one of these might strike.

The one place open carry would have been the biggest blessing in my life would have been Baltimore city, but as anyone who knows, knows that Baltimore and Maryland are in "a differentcountry than the rest of the US", which may be one reason why there is so much crime and mayhem in this "People's Republic". Other unamerican places in the US are New Jersey, NY, MA, Ill, and CA. Though CA still has areas that are in the US, and parts of MA are as well.