• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westland, Michigan OC Event

pearldrums2

imported post

Date: Sunday April 25, 2010

Time: 2pm

This Park is located at the corner of Ford Road & Carlson Road.

There is a bigger size play place there for the kids to play as well!!!

Here is the address for the Park is just a little east of the station and behind it!!!!

1901 N Carlson St
Westland, MI 48185

Link to Mapquest for Directions
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Westland&state=MI&address=1901+N+Carlson+St&zipcode=48185&country=US&latitude=42.321869&longitude=-83.39878&geocode=ADDRESS

Please post here if you are going to come or with any input you may have!! Looking forward to this event and meeting and putting names with faces and doing some OC!!!

This is also listed on migunowners.org

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84472

if you have any questions please feel free to get a hold of me!!

now we need some volunteers to help bring stuff!!!!

plates
----dougwg
----Danno
napkins
----dougwg
----Danno
utensils
----dougwg
----Danno
cups
----Danno
soda
----daj86==36 pack case of each of the following; Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and Mountain Dew
----fotophocus
ice
----fotophocus
water
----daj86==2 cases of water 35 16.9oz bottles per case
hot dogs
----Super Trucker
hot dog buns
----Super Trucker
hamburgers
----daj86==Box of hamburgers 40 patties total
hamburger buns
----daj86==3 packs of hamburger buns 16 buns per pack
ketchup/mustard/condiments
----Super Trucker== Ketchup/Mustard
----daj86==Ketchup, mustard, and relish multi pack
fruit/pasta salad or regular salad
----Danno==Fruit Salad
----SeeTee== Tuna/Pasta/Salad Dish
desert
----Venator12
chips/pretzels/etc.
----daj86==large bag of Doritos, Ruffles, and Chex Mix
any other food
----Venator12== Baked Beans
gas grill or grill/charcoal
----Seetee==Grill
----dougwg==Charcoal
games?
camera/Video recorder
-----dougwg (camera)
Tables
----coondog== one banquet table, two card tables
----SeeTee== 2 6ft Tables
Chairs
----coondog: 4 chairs
Cards/Literature
----dougwg
Coolers
----daj86==2 good size coolers

or anything else that anyone can think of!!! I will keep a list of who is volunteering to bring what and keep it updated in this first post!!!!! Looking forward to hearing from you soon!!!

pearldrums2

imported post

Honestly I have never planned anything like this before or anything.... The reason I am trying to set this up is because of what happened not to long ago with a Westland cop and the way he treated a guy who was OC'ing and talked to him and want to get the education out there about OC'ing and that is why it is in Westland right next to the police station in the park there!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated for sure!!!

How about we start by trying to select a date and we can go from there!!! Any input on anything is greatly appreciate and want to get as many people as we can for this!!!

Here is a link to the video of the Westland cop I was talking about Listen and you will see why we are trying to get this together!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xOpF4z_v0

Jblack44

imported post

dfox's encounter has been covered here quite a bit.

As far as a Westland meet up, I'm in. The last one I think was about a year ago at Big Boy.

pearldrums2

imported post

Awesome.... What date do we think would be a good one for this??? Because I think that I might have to call the city so I can "reserve" the pavilion for that day if I am not mistaken

Michigander

imported post

Personally, I think you should arrange it to coincide with my May 16 State Wide litter clean up. :D http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/40049.html

Obviously ya don't have to if ya don't want to, but it would work. First a litter clean up in the morning, then a nice BBQ lunch at the park. :celebrate

Although, if you're looking for huge attendance, that wouldn't be the way to do it.

pearldrums2

imported post

I would prefer to do this before that if at all possible... That is why I would like people to post dates and we can go from there!!!

How does sometime in April sound???

SpringerXDacp

imported post

pearldrums2 wrote:
I would prefer to do this before that if at all possible... That is why I would like people to post dates and we can go from there!!!

How does sometime in April sound???

Welcome Pearldrums

I've been following your posts over on MGO about events you would like to plan. There's currently an event planned for April 25th in Jackson and a possible event on the same date that will be near Flint. The events are spread out so an event near you would not hinder participation at the others. Just set a date and I will enter the event in the MOC, Calendar of Events.

pearldrums2

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote
Welcome Pearldrums

I've been following your posts over on MGO about events you would like to plan. There's currently an event planned for April 25th in Jackson and a possible event on the same date that will be near Flint. The events are spread out so an event near you would not hinder participation at the others. Just set a date and I will enter the event in the MOC, Calendar of Events.
Ok will do I will either post a date later tonight or tomorrow have to look at the calender!!!

CoonDog

imported post

I recommend you just pick a date to set it in stone, say two-three weeks out maybe so folks can plan for it.

If you plan it, people will come!

Attendees can commit on this thread if they plan to attend or if they are possible attendees. Edit your initial post with all pertinent details, including Date, Time, Location, Map (hyperlink to yahoo or google), Attendees, Possible Attendees. Create a sign-up list of items needed for the picnic and folks can volunteer to bring items and update the list in the first thread so folks can easily see what things are still needed. A head count will help folks know how much food to bring.

Also, Do some research on the park and tell us what it has. If there's a playground, folks with kids will want to know (like me). Is there a disc golf course, horseshoes, etc., you get the idea.

We used to have an events thread where we kept this info centralized, but I don't recall what happened to it. If it gets resurrected, you can see previous examples.

Off the top of my head, you'll want to ask for volunteers to bring the following:

plates/napkins/utensils/cups
soda/water
hot dogs/buns
hamburgers/buns
fruit/pasta salad
desert!!!
chips/pretzels/etc.
any other food
gas grill or grill/charcoal or charcoal if the park has a grill
games?
camera/Video recorder
tables (if no picnic tables)

Note to self: bring bocce. :celebrate

pearldrums2

imported post

Part of the park is closed but the other part is still open..... Also yes they still have the Fair and it is around the 4th of July still!!!

I am going to look at the calender tonight and choose a date and will post on here tomorrow and then we can go from there on posting for volunteers and all that!!!

Jblack44

imported post

Was at the playground that is behind the firehouse. (east of the police station) I saw signs on the pavillion that said it was video monitored 24/7 so there should good footage of the event! :)

pearldrums2

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
Was at the playground that is behind the firehouse. (east of the police station) I saw signs on the pavillion that said it was video monitored 24/7 so there should good footage of the event! :)
Well good maybe they will use it as training footage for them saying IT IS LEGAL LAY THE HELL OFF lol

pearldrums2

imported post

Set the date!!!!

Sunday April 18, 2010 at 2pm

Also there is a nice size playground there for the Kids

now we need some volunteers to help bring stuff!!!!

plates
napkins
utensils
cups
soda
water
hot dogs
hot dog buns
hamburgers
hamburger buns
fruit/pasta salad or regular salad
desert
chips/pretzels/etc.
any other food
gas grill or grill/charcoal
games?
camera/Video recorder
Tables

or anything else that anyone can think of!!! I will keep a list of who is volunteering to bring what and keep it updated in the first post!!!!! Looking forward to hearing from you soon!!!