• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lincoln County Journal - Elsberry, MO residents outraged by council's effort to ban open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.lincolncountyjournal.com/news/view_sections.asp?idcategory=47&idarticle=3754

Elsberry residents troubled by proposed weapons ordinance
Nora Holloway

. . . Elsberry residents were not shy about voicing their dissatisfaction with the proposed weapons ordinance. Not every citizen waited to address the board from the podium, interrupting the aldermen throughout the meeting.

Several members of the audience expressed their displeasure with the board and believed the proposed weapons ordinance would impede their ability to protect themselves and their families.

"First of all, I'm the young lady that created this mess," said Amanda Strauser, "and I am sorry that I abided by the law. Had I known that it was going to create this much tension between officers, fellow citizens and the board, I think I would have just chosen to leave my weapon in the vehicle and take the chance of someone attacking me."

Strauser entered a local business with a loaded handgun, which brought about the request for the proposed ordinance in the February board meeting. She stated that she had not broken any laws. "I am sorry if me displaying a firearm to keep from breaking a CCW law concerns someone. I believe the concerns should have been addressed, but they were not addressed appropriately."

Strauser stated she had the handgun on her because her life was threatened by a local man. She said he had not broken the law yet, but if she "waited around" he would attack her.

"This isn't about power, this is about protection," said Strauser. She stated that she did not enter the business to create chaos or draw attention to herself.
Several residents voiced their belief that the proposed ordinance would violate their constitutional rights.

. . .

Superlite27

imported post

Wow.

4 miles away from me and how can I not know about it?

I've been through Elsberry a bajillion times while carrying and never had a problem.

Guess I'm gonna have to step things up. Think I'll wander around there this weekend. Maybe I'll run into someone interesting.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The interesting thing is that both Kansas and Misouri are pretty much the only states which do not preempt localitis from banning open carry (I guess Nebraska is also in this boat but only Omaha attempts to limit open carry).

So open carriers in Kansas and Misouri need to work together - NATO doctrine in effect!

Article1section23

imported post

Mike wrote:
The interesting thing is that both Kansas and Misouri are pretty much the only states which do not preempt localitis from banning open carry (I guess Nebraska is also in this boat but only Omaha attempts to limit open carry).

So open carriers in Kansas and Misouri need to work together - NATO doctrine in effect!

The City attorney was of course wrong. They can only REGULATE, not ban. It has never had a constitutional challenge and HB 2150 is going to solve thisor the courts will shortly after 8/28/2010.

patriotthad

imported post

Is this bill going to pass this session? I called today and spoke with Rep. Well's office and was told that it hadn't been referred to a committee.

Superlite27

imported post

I still can't figure out if they agreed to "regulate" OC.

From the article, it seems as if the city council agreed that letting businesses put up a sign would be preferable to passing an ordinance.

I'll wander through some businesses there this weekend and post any negative encounters.

I did pack my STI 1911 in Casey's, fuel up, wander around the store, buy a candy bar, wander around the parking lot, wash my windows, and go home last night, though.

No problems....as usual. I'll hit the local feed trough and have a liesurely breakfast at the "mom & pops" restaurant there Saturday morning. This'll throw some gas on the fire. Let's see if she'll burn.

I'll post anything eventful.

imported post

Does anyone know the name of the business that complained to the councilabout Ms. Strauser OC in their store?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
I've been through Elsberry a bajillion times while carrying and never had a problem.
Maybe somebody had a problem with a woman open carrying?
How DARE she be able to protect herself! She should be a good little Victim, just like Sarah Brady tells her! Be a good woman and let men, any man, do as they will with you....

Broondog

imported post

patriotthad wrote:
Is this bill going to pass this session? I called today and spoke with Rep. Well's office and was told that it hadn't been referred to a committee.
i certainly hope so. i've contacted Rep. Fallert about HB 2150 as well as Speaker of the House Rep. Ron Richard. http://house.mo.gov/member.aspx?district=129 i asked Rep. Richard could give 2150 a push into a committee to get it moving again but so far he has not returned either my calls or emails.

.......fingers crossed......

B

Bikenut

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Mike wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
Maybe somebody had a problem with a woman open carrying?
You would be surprised at how many males (I won't call them "men") are intimidated and feel threatened by women who are not dependent on them for everything. The fact that this young lady was openly carrying (gasp!!) a pistol probably made some of these biological males wet their knickers.
I applaud women who are strong and wise enough to carry a gun... especially openly. My loving Yooperlady and I walk side by side through life each having the other's back.

And I agree with SFCRetired... those who think they are "manly" men are not only intimidated by a woman wearing a gun they take it as an affront to their fragile ego since it is so painfully obvious a (gasp!) woman has the courage to do what they, supposedly a big tough man, do not.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
I applaud women who are strong and wise enough to carry a gun... especially openly. My loving Yooperlady and I walk side by side through life each having the other's back.

And I agree with SFCRetired... those who think they are "manly" men are not only intimidated by a woman wearing a gun they take it as an affront to their fragile ego since it is so painfully obvious a (gasp!) woman has the courage to do what they, supposedly a big tough man, do not.
Bingo! :what::what::what::what::what:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"males (I won't call them "men")" -- SFCRetired

Real men are an endangered species in America nowadays as most "males" are emasculated "sensitive" PC wimps while at the same time,we're seeing an increase of masculine women...if that's any solace. ;-)

-- John D.

DEFENSOR

imported post

Even though I have a spare tire and a jack, am I a panzy if I call AAA to change my flat tire? HAHAHAHA. I have worked many years at a highline auto dealer and the males who drive these new cars are less like traditional responsible men than my mother who drives a Suburban and can still change her own oil.

In the words of my friend Earl Pitts. "Ya know what makes me sick?"

Defensor out

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

No, you're just smart. Nothing wrong with having "insurance" whether it be Roadside Assistance for your vehicles or a firearm for self-defense.

We're talking about something else...

Besides, lots of "tough guys" are just bullies...nothing "manly" about that whatsoever.

-- John D.

KansasMustang

imported post

Nothing sexier than a woman with a weapon!:what: And bless her pea-pickin' lil heart for taking up arms in her own defense! I have not had much cause to OC in my little town, but this gives me some reason to disturb a lil caca I think.

okboomer

imported post

Ah, but some of us have been made forcefully aware of how often men will use physical intimidation (unconsciously or not) when dealing with an assertive woman. And god forbid that a woman has an opinion ...

I agree that a WWAG was probably at the bottom of the issue. I also wonder how much of it revolved around whether or not "she knew how to handle it"?

I know I got lucky when a former Army Small Arms Competition Team Instructor saw me fire a pistol for what he absolutely knew was the first time, and all 6 targets went down (flip targets) with bullseyes. He told me about 6 months after that, that one of the cops had made a disparaging remark about me to him. He definitely set him straight.

T'weren't no accident:

cards.jpg