Thread: OC newbie question

Post imported post

I currently live in Marland, and frequently drive through VA, and I was wondering if a MD resident can open carry at the age of 18 in VA, even though the handgun is not under my name, it is under my fathers? Because in MD, you can not own a handgun or "assault weapon" until you are 21.

Thanks!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

rmbstyle wrote:
    I currently live in Marland, and frequently drive through VA, and I was wondering if a MD resident can open carry at the age of 18 in VA, even though the handgun is not under my name, it is under my fathers? Because in MD, you can not own a handgun or "assault weapon" until you are 21.

Thanks!
    Where in Va do you go?

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    rmbstyle wrote:

Thanks!
    Where in Va do you go?
    Chantilly

Post imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.7

Pretty sure there's no requirement to actually own the gun you're transporting.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

You're OK.

You don't have to own it, just be allowed to carry it.
    I wouldn't go South of Fredricksburg though:P

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    You're OK.

Do not believe him. They rescinded the requirement to get shots going south of the Rappahannock (to protect us from your Northern cooties) and you can pick up a visa a just about any Western Auto from Stafford on south.

'Course, if you happen to be going through Hanover County and see this bearded olf phart riding a spotted dog, he might try to talk you out of your handgun. If you see him, run away!

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    You're OK.

Do not believe him. They rescinded the requirement to get shots going south of the Rappahannock (to protect us from your Northern cooties) and you can pick up a visa a just about any Western Auto from Stafford on south.

'Course, if you happen to be going through Hanover County and see this bearded olf phart riding a spotted dog, he might try to talk you out of your handgun. If you see him, run away!

stay safe.

skidmark
    He's safe. I'm back at the farm

Post imported post

I dont understand what you mean, so I cant opencarry in VA??

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    You're OK.

stay safe.

skidmark
    I dont understand what you mean, so I can't opencarry in VA??

Post imported post

rmbstyle wrote:
    I dont understand what you mean, so I cant opencarry in VA??
    Don't pay any attention to me. No one else does. I was making a joke!

YES! You can legally OC in Va. There is no requirement that you be the owner of the gun just as long as you have it legally and there are no prohibitions against you, that would not allow you to have a firearm.

You'll be fine OC'ing.

Post imported post

Many of us here OC in Chantilly all the time. You shouldn't have any issues.

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    You're OK.

stay safe.

skidmark
    Damn it, Skid. I have about 30 people looking at me funny, I laughed so loudly.

Style, they are just pulling your leg. :P
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Just be careful while in MD. Can you legally possess (not necessarily own) a handgun at age 18-20 in MD? Otherwise you might be in violation until you cross into VA.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Just be careful while in MD. Can you legally possess (not necessarily own) a handgun at age 18-20 in MD? Otherwise you might be in violation until you cross into VA.
    ...locked away per FOPA would be a safe bet I think.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Yes you can, as long as it is locked up in the back until you cross state lines

Post imported post

And obviously be sure you don't take any wrong turns into DC. I've done that numerous times and sneak as quietly out of there as quickly as I can.

Post imported post

t33j wrote:
    nova wrote:
    ...locked away per FOPA would be a safe bet I think.
    FOPA protects people traveling. I wasn't sure it protects you from the laws of your home state.

Post imported post

FOPA won't protect him in MD if he's legally prevented from possessing a handgun there... It WILL protect him if he goes through DC if he's allowed to possess the handgun in MD. Of course, he may get arrested in DC and have to go to court...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    FOPA won't protect him in MD if he's legally prevented from possessing a handgun there... It WILL protect him if he goes through DC if he's allowed to possess the handgun in MD. Of course, he may get arrested in DC and have to go to court...
    I am legally allowed to be in possetion of it, so I should be fine while traveling

Post imported post

Style,
    Regardless of the legalities in your home state, once you cross into a traditional "free state"" you are legal to OC here anywhere we do. Why don't you wait until there is an OC dinner somewhere in the NOVA area and show up. You'll definitely feel more comfortable in the presence of a dozen local OCers, and you can first enjoy a special freedom while in the company of some regulars.

I know a couple of young guys who were under 21 when they started here, and they all say it is pretty exhilarating at first!

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Style,
    Regardless of the legalities in your home state, once you cross into a traditional "free state"" you are legal to OC here anywhere we do. Why don't you wait until there is an OC dinner somewhere in the NOVA area and show up. You'll definitely feel more comfortable in the presence of a dozen local OCers, and you can first enjoy a special freedom while in the company of some regulars.

I know a couple of young guys who were under 21 when they started here, and they all say it is pretty exhilarating at first!

Thanks!

Ill try to make it to one of those dinners.