• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC newbie question

rmbstyle

imported post

I currently live in Marland, and frequently drive through VA, and I was wondering if a MD resident can open carry at the age of 18 in VA, even though the handgun is not under my name, it is under my fathers? Because in MD, you can not own a handgun or "assault weapon" until you are 21.

Thanks!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rmbstyle wrote:
I currently live in Marland, and frequently drive through VA, and I was wondering if a MD resident can open carry at the age of 18 in VA, even though the handgun is not under my name, it is under my fathers? Because in MD, you can not own a handgun or "assault weapon" until you are 21.

Thanks!
Where in Va do you go?

rmbstyle

imported post

peter nap wrote:
rmbstyle wrote:

Thanks!
Where in Va do you go?
Chantilly

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You're OK.

You don't have to own it, just be allowed to carry it.
I wouldn't go South of Fredricksburg though:p

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
You're OK.

Do not believe him. They rescinded the requirement to get shots going south of the Rappahannock (to protect us from your Northern cooties) and you can pick up a visa a just about any Western Auto from Stafford on south.

'Course, if you happen to be going through Hanover County and see this bearded olf phart riding a spotted dog, he might try to talk you out of your handgun. If you see him, run away!

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
You're OK.

Do not believe him. They rescinded the requirement to get shots going south of the Rappahannock (to protect us from your Northern cooties) and you can pick up a visa a just about any Western Auto from Stafford on south.

'Course, if you happen to be going through Hanover County and see this bearded olf phart riding a spotted dog, he might try to talk you out of your handgun. If you see him, run away!

stay safe.

skidmark
He's safe. I'm back at the farm:lol:

rmbstyle

imported post

skidmark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
You're OK.

stay safe.

skidmark
I dont understand what you mean, so I can't opencarry in VA??

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rmbstyle wrote:
I dont understand what you mean, so I cant opencarry in VA??
Don't pay any attention to me. No one else does.:lol: I was making a joke!

YES! You can legally OC in Va. There is no requirement that you be the owner of the gun just as long as you have it legally and there are no prohibitions against you, that would not allow you to have a firearm.

You'll be fine OC'ing.

AbNo

imported post

skidmark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
You're OK.

stay safe.

skidmark

Damn it, Skid. I have about 30 people looking at me funny, I laughed so loudly. :lol:

Style, they are just pulling your leg. :p

nova

imported post

Just be careful while in MD. Can you legally possess (not necessarily own) a handgun at age 18-20 in MD? Otherwise you might be in violation until you cross into VA.

t33j

imported post

nova wrote:
Just be careful while in MD. Can you legally possess (not necessarily own) a handgun at age 18-20 in MD? Otherwise you might be in violation until you cross into VA.
...locked away per FOPA would be a safe bet I think.

rmbstyle

imported post

nova wrote:
Yes you can, as long as it is locked up in the back until you cross state lines

richarcm

imported post

And obviously be sure you don't take any wrong turns into DC. I've done that numerous times and sneak as quietly out of there as quickly as I can.

nova

imported post

t33j wrote:
nova wrote:
...locked away per FOPA would be a safe bet I think.
FOPA protects people traveling. I wasn't sure it protects you from the laws of your home state.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FOPA won't protect him in MD if he's legally prevented from possessing a handgun there... It WILL protect him if he goes through DC if he's allowed to possess the handgun in MD. Of course, he may get arrested in DC and have to go to court...

rmbstyle

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
FOPA won't protect him in MD if he's legally prevented from possessing a handgun there... It WILL protect him if he goes through DC if he's allowed to possess the handgun in MD. Of course, he may get arrested in DC and have to go to court...
I am legally allowed to be in possetion of it, so I should be fine while traveling

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Style,
Regardless of the legalities in your home state, once you cross into a traditional "free state"" you are legal to OC here anywhere we do. Why don't you wait until there is an OC dinner somewhere in the NOVA area and show up. You'll definitely feel more comfortable in the presence of a dozen local OCers, and you can first enjoy a special freedom while in the company of some regulars.

I know a couple of young guys who were under 21 when they started here, and they all say it is pretty exhilarating at first!

:monkey