• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why does Virginia Beach not follow SOP for applying for the CHP?

Jon34511

imported post

According to the state police's website, and pretty much anywhere else I've researched gettingmy CHP, it says to go to the circuit court clerk to apply.

When I went to apply for my CHP in Virginia Beachthe clerk looked at me like my head on was on fire and had no idea why I came to her to file for my CHP. Luckily, another clerk there knew I had to go to the police station around the corner to apply, but it was still a major pain in the rear and I wasted a good 30 mins standing in line.

Anyone know why VB does it differently?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Jon34511 wrote:
According to the state police's website, and pretty much anywhere else I've researched gettingmy CHP, it says to go to the circuit court clerk to apply.

When I went to apply for my CHP in Virginia Beachthe clerk looked at me like my head on was on fire and had no idea why I came to her to file for my CHP. Luckily, another clerk there knew I had to go to the police station around the corner to apply, but it was still a major pain in the rear and I wasted a good 30 mins standing in line.

Hanover does the same thing but the law has no teeth. That's one of the holes I was hoping would get filled in this year....Sigh!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Jon34511 wrote:
Because no one has told them to follow the law or face a lawsuit.
I don't know about VB but Hanover has been told it was not in compliance with Va law a number of times. Pro Shooter did it, I did it and the response was :Well, maybe the law is wrong".

Will I sue, no. First, I don't have standing and second I don't have a couple grand extra to pay for it.

wylde007

imported post

It's curious that you say they don't "follow" the law, but the application is merely taken in one place. It is still rendered by the Clerk. They could take applications in the parking lot if they wanted to as long as thy made it to the Clerk's office and you got your permit within 45 days.

I think it's actually better since the Clerk's office is in the courts building and potential CHP recipients would be disallowed from carrying to submit forms.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides...
The law says the clerk of the circuit court. The local PD office, even if you must go there to be fingerprinted, is the clerk of the circuit court.

Also, even though I said sue, there shouldn't be a cost issue to straighten this out. There have been numerous cases where a call to the state Supreme Court has corrected non-compliance by clerks offices and/or local judges making extra legal requirements. Matter of fact, VCDL advised applicants file a complaint with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia in cases like this. Granted, like you said Peter, you must have standing.

wylde007

imported post

My statement is that while you may not actually tender the application AT the Clerk's office, it is submitted to the Clerk's office and that is the office which makes the determination.

That doesn't seem to me like it violates any law.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
My statement is that while you may not actually tender the application AT the Clerk's office, it is submitted to the Clerk's office and that is the office which makes the determination.

That doesn't seem to me like it violates any law.
Other than not following the letter of the law, the problem in the past has been some areas that didn't start the 45 day countdown until the background check was done and the PD sent the paperwork to the Clerks office.

To the best of my knowledge, VCDL has corrected those places.

So yes, you are right. NO harm no foul other than being a little annoying.

wylde007

imported post

From my experience with VB (where I am a resident) I noted the date I made the application.

About three to three-½ weeks later I got my permit in the mail, marked originating from the Clerk of the Circuit Court.

I'm not 100% on the rules and regs, but Virginia Beach does at least have a history of being more efficient and honest with their processes than many municipalities.

Also, I was not required to be fingerprinted, if that means anything to anyone.

driveramsII

imported post

I didnt go anywhere to get my CHP from VA Beach. I went on the VSP website and printed the application then mailed it to the Circuit Court along with my $50 check. Had my CHP in hand via USPS in 2 1/2 weeks, max.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hanover was the same. My wife got hers in about 2 weeks.

The problem is there will always be a place that abuses the system. That's why the GA specifies the way it's taken, the information required and the time they can take.

Uniformity eliminates abuse.

Jon34511

imported post

driveramsII wrote:
I didnt go anywhere to get my CHP from VA Beach. I went on the VSP website and printed the application then mailed it to the Circuit Court along with my $50 check. Had my CHP in hand via USPS in 2 1/2 weeks, max.
I wasn't fingerprinted, but it has been 3.5 weeks as of today. I always come home hoping to see it in my mailbox, but alas it hasn't shown yet.

tcmech

imported post

Jon34511 wrote:
driveramsII wrote:
I wasn't fingerprinted, but it has been 3.5 weeks as of today. I always come home hoping to see it in my mailbox, but alas it hasn't shown yet.
I have recieved 3 (1 initial, and 2 renewal) permits from Virginia Beach and none of mine took three weeks to get.

My wife got her permit fromVirginia Beachin less than three weeks also.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Hanover does a few other things wrong too regarding the CHP process, in addition to where you turn in your application.

I spent an hour beating my head against the wall trying to change the mind of the Clerk of the Circuit Court, to no avail. I even got a letter from the Sheriff's Office reminding me to tell my students where their apps should be turned in.

Jon34511

imported post

tcmech wrote:
Jon34511 wrote:
driveramsII wrote:
I have recieved 3 (1 initial, and 2 renewal) permits from Virginia Beach and none of mine took three weeks to get.

My wife got her permit fromVirginia Beachin less than three weeks also.
Haha you must be good luck, I got my permit in the mail yesterday afternoon! :celebrateI already lamenated it. It took exactly 3.5 weeks.