Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Question about Arlington Co. wait time

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Hi everyone,

    I moved to Arlington county about 6 or 7 months ago and started doing research on purchasing a new handgun. I ended up getting a Springfield Armory a couple of weeks ago and have been OC'ing it in a few places around town with no real problems.

    There are a few occasions however where I'll want to bring my gun with me but not have it visible so just today I submitted my CHP application to the Circuit court here in Arlington. The woman there told me it would take the full 45 days and then some before I could get it so I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience getting their CHP in Arlington Co. and whether or not I should expect to wait that long. Thanks for the replies!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

    I moved to Arlington county about 6 or 7 months ago and started doing research on purchasing a new handgun. I ended up getting a Springfield Armory a couple of weeks ago and have been OC'ing it in a few places around town with no real problems.

    There are a few occasions however where I'll want to bring my gun with me but not have it visible so just today I submitted my CHP application to the Circuit court here in Arlington. The woman there told me it would take the full 45 days and then some before I could get it so I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience getting their CHP in Arlington Co. and whether or not I should expect to wait that long. Thanks for the replies!

    It can take a maximum of 45 days. If it has reached 45 days without a rejection, they are required by law to issue you a temporary permit that allows you to CC until such time as your regular permit is approved or denied.

    You should read up on 18.2-308. It has all the answers to your question and a bunch more.

    Welcome aboard btw.


    *edit* correction of a typo.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    When I applied, I got no response after 45 days. On day 47 or so, I went back to the clerk's office and asked to be issued a temporary permit.

    Magically, the real permit was ready a couple days later.

    When your 45 days are up, just go there and demand the temporary permit. If you don't, it wouldn't surprise me if they took the full allowable time

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    GWRedDragon wrote:
    When I applied, I got no response after 45 days. On day 47 or so, I went back to the clerk's office and asked to be issued a temporary permit.

    Magically, the real permit was ready a couple days later.

    When your 45 days are up, just go there and demand the temporary permit. If you don't, it wouldn't surprise me if they took the full allowable time
    Yeah, I kind of figure that it would come down to that. It was the way the clerk there said that it would take "the full 45 days and then some" that I figured I might have to keep on them about this.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    GWRedDragon wrote:
    When I applied, I got no response after 45 days. On day 47 or so, I went back to the clerk's office and asked to be issued a temporary permit.

    Magically, the real permit was ready a couple days later.

    When your 45 days are up, just go there and demand the temporary permit. If you don't, it wouldn't surprise me if they took the full allowable time
    Ditto. My experience was the same as Dragon's. I posted the same question as you; Dragon responded, as he did here, and his prophecy came true..
    You will have to go in on day 46 and request a temp, then your permit will be ready the following day or so.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Va, ,
    Posts
    623

    Post imported post

    Since the clerk told you it will take 45 days and then some, you should have told the clerk that you will be back in 45 days and expect your temporary permit to br ready for pickup.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    mobeewan wrote:
    Since the clerk told you it will take 45 days and then some, you should have told the clerk that you will be back in 45 days and expect your temporary permit to br ready for pickup.
    Yeah, I wish I had done that but they had already been giving me the run around and been sending me all over the place to get stuff notarized and get fingerprinted, so by that point I just wanted to get out of there.

    Either way though I will definitely be going back there on day 46 and requesting my temporary permit. Looks like I'm pretty much going to have to do that at this point.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    That's a pretty arrogant statement made by the clerk.

    "The full 45 days" cannot be followed by "and then some."

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    mobeewan wrote:
    Since the clerk told you it will take 45 days and then some, you should have told the clerk that you will be back in 45 days and expect your temporary permit to br ready for pickup.
    Yeah, I wish I had done that but they had already been giving me the run around and been sending me all over the place to get stuff notarized and get fingerprinted, so by that point I just wanted to get out of there.

    Either way though I will definitely be going back there on day 46 and requesting my temporary permit. Looks like I'm pretty much going to have to do that at this point.
    What did they have you get notarized and why?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Curtis wrote:
    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    mobeewan wrote:
    Since the clerk told you it will take 45 days and then some, you should have told the clerk that you will be back in 45 days and expect your temporary permit to br ready for pickup.
    Yeah, I wish I had done that but they had already been giving me the run around and been sending me all over the place to get stuff notarized and get fingerprinted, so by that point I just wanted to get out of there.

    Either way though I will definitely be going back there on day 46 and requesting my temporary permit. Looks like I'm pretty much going to have to do that at this point.
    What did they have you get notarized and why?
    This is from Arlington County website: http://www.co.arlington.va.us/Depart...page64985.aspx

    Please read carefully:
    • You must be a resident of Arlington County or the City of Falls Church
    • Pay a fee of $50.00 by cash; by check or money order made payable to the "Clerk of the Circuit Court"; or by credit card (Mastercard or Visa only; a service charge of four (4) percent of the amount paid will be collected for credit card payments).
    • Be fingerprinted by the Sheriff's Department (Room 9100 of the Courthouse), which you may do from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday - Thursday (excluding holidays).
    • Provide evidence of competence with a handgun (i.e. proof from a qualified instructor, range, or military discharge papers)
    • Provide the original application (signed and notarized), three (3) copies of the application (after it has been notarized), and four (4) copies of your certificate of competency - if needed.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    Is that only required if you do not fill it out in front of them? Are the multiple copies of everything mandatory, and if so will they make copies in the circuit court clerk's office?

    Could that all be construed as extra expenses?

    I'm just curious and wondering if all this might be extralegal added hassle to make it just that much more annoying for the 2A and freedom conscious citizens.

  12. #12
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Curtis wrote:
    Are the multiple copies of everything mandatory, and if so will they make copies in the circuit court clerk's office?
    The Code says:

    "A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection"



    Where I come from, "a copy" doesn't mean 3 or 4 copies, it means one copy.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602

    Post imported post

    mdinnie wrote:
    Curtis wrote:
    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    mobeewan wrote:
    Since the clerk told you it will take 45 days and then some, you should have told the clerk that you will be back in 45 days and expect your temporary permit to br ready for pickup.
    Yeah, I wish I had done that but they had already been giving me the run around and been sending me all over the place to get stuff notarized and get fingerprinted, so by that point I just wanted to get out of there.

    Either way though I will definitely be going back there on day 46 and requesting my temporary permit. Looks like I'm pretty much going to have to do that at this point.
    What did they have you get notarized and why?
    This is from Arlington County website: http://www.co.arlington.va.us/Depart...page64985.aspx

    Please read carefully:
    • You must be a resident of Arlington County or the City of Falls Church
    • Pay a fee of $50.00 by cash; by check or money order made payable to the "Clerk of the Circuit Court"; or by credit card (Mastercard or Visa only; a service charge of four (4) percent of the amount paid will be collected for credit card payments).
    • Be fingerprinted by the Sheriff's Department (Room 9100 of the Courthouse), which you may do from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday - Thursday (excluding holidays).
    • Provide evidence of competence with a handgun (i.e. proof from a qualified instructor, range, or military discharge papers)
    • Provide the original application (signed and notarized), three (3) copies of the application (after it has been notarized), and four (4) copies of your certificate of competency - if needed.
    Extra legal requirements or misleading statements:

    1) Do not see statutory basis for 4% service charge.

    2) Think that the 2 hour window, 4 days a week is too restrictive and not in "good faith."

    3) There are many more ways of satisfying competency requirement - see link

    4) Only one (1) copy of the application and one (1) copy of the certificate is required.
    There is NO statutory requirement for multiple copies of the application.
    Excerpted from Code of Va. - "A photocopy of a certificate of completion ...."

    5) If application is signed in front of the clerk, it does NOT have to be notarized.

    6) Municipalities are only allowed to require those things that are specifically authorized by the Code of Va.

    http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

    If I were going for my original CHP, I assure you I would be in the clerk's office when they opened for business on the 46th day.

    Only if someone holds their feet to the fire will they come into compliance.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Curtis wrote:
    Is that only required if you do not fill it out in front of them? Are the multiple copies of everything mandatory, and if so will they make copies in the circuit court clerk's office?

    Could that all be construed as extra expenses?

    I'm just curious and wondering if all this might be extralegal added hassle to make it just that much more annoying for the 2A and freedom conscious citizens.
    I agree with everything that's been said here so far. It does seem to me that Arlington goes out of it's way to make things extra hard in order to get a CHP. For what it's worth I will say that they were much nicer in the sheriffs office where I had to go to get fingerprinted and my application notarized. They even made me the copies I needed for free (after charging $3 to notarize my documents )

    Mostly they were just rude in the clerks office, and of course I forgot to bring cash or check so I had to pay the 4% surcharge for using my credit card. I guess this is just what you have to go through if you want to conceal carry in Arlington

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Arlington, ,
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    I can only share my own experience. I read all of the Arlington Countyrequirements beforehand, andcarefully brought in exactly what they required. Nothing more, nothing less. Fingerprints were taken on the spot (maybe on a different floor, but same building). I was notified on day 45 that my rinky-dinkpaper CCP was ready to pick up. They were cordial. No problems.

    Not to say I approve of the Arlington process, but their stated process for me went exactly as advertised.

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602

    Post imported post

    RPW wrote:
    I can only share my own experience. I read all of the Arlington Countyrequirements beforehand, andcarefully brought in exactly what they required. Nothing more, nothing less. Fingerprints were taken on the spot (maybe on a different floor, but same building). I was notified on day 45 that my rinky-dinkpaper CCP was ready to pick up. They were cordial. No problems.

    Not to say I approve of the Arlington process, but their stated process for me went exactly as advertised.
    Yet therein lies the problem.

    What they advertise/require is extra legal - not allowed under preemption.

    What is next? Social security numbers, interview and passport size color photograph?

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    The woman there told me it would take the full 45 days and then some before I could get it so I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience getting their CHP in Arlington Co. and whether or not I should expect to wait that long. Thanks for the replies!
    I just got my CHP from Arlington about 4 months ago. It took 50 days total to get it. What I would do is call the Comm Atty office on day 40 and ask for status on you permit. That will remind the kid that does the paperwork to finish it up. Nice guy but I had to call to get it moving and they like to take the full time so expect the full 45 day wait.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Gregory wrote:
    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    The woman there told me it would take the full 45 days and then some before I could get it so I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience getting their CHP in Arlington Co. and whether or not I should expect to wait that long. Thanks for the replies!
    I just got my CHP from Arlington about 4 months ago. It took 50 days total to get it. What I would do is call the Comm Atty office on day 40 and ask for status on you permit. That will remind the kid that does the paperwork to finish it up. Nice guy but I had to call to get it moving and they like to take the full time so expect the full 45 day wait.
    Not a bad idea, I want them to know that I'm paying attention to the amount of time they're taking. Thanks to everyone who's already gone through it for letting me know!

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602

    Post imported post

    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    Gregory wrote:
    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    The woman there told me it would take the full 45 days and then some before I could get it so I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience getting their CHP in Arlington Co. and whether or not I should expect to wait that long. Thanks for the replies!
    I just got my CHP from Arlington about 4 months ago. It took 50 days total to get it. What I would do is call the Comm Atty office on day 40 and ask for status on you permit. That will remind the kid that does the paperwork to finish it up. Nice guy but I had to call to get it moving and they like to take the full time so expect the full 45 day wait.
    Not a bad idea, I want them to know that I'm paying attention to the amount of time they're taking. Thanks to everyone who's already gone through it for letting me know!
    When your CHP comes through, laminate it, put it in your wallet and OC.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    Gregory wrote:
    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    The woman there told me it would take the full 45 days and then some before I could get it so I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience getting their CHP in Arlington Co. and whether or not I should expect to wait that long. Thanks for the replies!
    I just got my CHP from Arlington about 4 months ago. It took 50 days total to get it. What I would do is call the Comm Atty office on day 40 and ask for status on you permit. That will remind the kid that does the paperwork to finish it up. Nice guy but I had to call to get it moving and they like to take the full time so expect the full 45 day wait.
    Not a bad idea, I want them to know that I'm paying attention to the amount of time they're taking. Thanks to everyone who's already gone through it for letting me know!
    When your CHP comes through, laminate it, put it in your wallet and OC.

    Yata hey
    That's the plan! Just wanted a little extra insurance in case I need to put my shirt over it for a brief period.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    [quote]Gregory wrote:
    Cowboy8467 wrote:
    Not a bad idea, I want them to know that I'm paying attention to the amount of time they're taking. Thanks to everyone who's already gone through it for letting me know!

    I got the impression from the guy that he had forgotten about it so I don't think that he was intentionally waiting, guy sounded younger on the phone (Im 35). Shoot, call at 30 days and see what happens, maybe you will get it early. :celebrate

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    Someone else can complain about the '4 copies' thing, but personally I don't care. When I went to do it, I went to the website and read the requirements, got the application notarized and copied elsewhere, and showed up with everything the way they request.

    And, of course, they were willing to give me the temporary permit when I showed up and asked for it on day 47.

    Having read on the website the ridiculous fingerprinting hours, I arrived at the courthouse to apply at the beginning of those hours.

    For me at least, the 'requirements' were no additional burden, so I'm not going to complain. When I see these 'requirements', what I feel most is lucky because I have heard stories of the application process in other states where people are routinely denied based on the whim of some official. Here, I followed the instructions and easily got the permit, and aside from perhaps a very minor misreading, the process conformed with the law.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602

    Post imported post

    GWRedDragon wrote:
    Someone else can complain about the '4 copies' thing, but personally I don't care. When I went to do it, I went to the website and read the requirements, got the application notarized and copied elsewhere, and showed up with everything the way they request.

    And, of course, they were willing to give me the temporary permit when I showed up and asked for it on day 47.

    Having read on the website the ridiculous fingerprinting hours, I arrived at the courthouse to apply at the beginning of those hours.

    For me at least, the 'requirements' were no additional burden, so I'm not going to complain. When I see these 'requirements', what I feel most is lucky because I have heard stories of the application process in other states where people are routinely denied based on the whim of some official. Here, I followed the instructions and easily got the permit, and aside from perhaps a very minor misreading, the process conformed with the law.
    Fortunately, others preceding you did not allow other extra-legal requirements like SS#, interviews and personal references to stand. These extras are illegal by statute and are a burden to most.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

    We are not"lucky" that we enjoy the benefits of shall issue - such is the result of a lot of hard work by many, not the least of which are the volunteers of VCDL.

    Glad you got your CHP; however, the process did NOT conform with the law.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    Well, I'm really just saying it's no big deal for me personally.

    If someone else sees the extralegal requirements as onerous and wishes to challenge them, I'm not going to complain about that.

    I see it kinda like providing your SSN on the ATF purchase form...I do it anyway, even though it is not required, because it isn't a big deal. If someone else decides not to provide it, that's fine too.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    As a follow up to this thread I thought I would mention that I just received an email from the Arlington County Circuit court to tell me that my CHP was ready for pickup. So that means that that it took them a little less than a month to process my application.

    I have to say that I am pretty pleasantly surprised considering some of the horror stories I had heard about Arlington Co.! :celebrate

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •