• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry incident caught on tape

rscottie

imported post

Wow, he's got bigger cajones than I do. I expected a taser when he started to leave.

The only thing that I would question is his initial contact with the police. While it is totally legal to video tape, when there is not a confrontation or the officers behaving badly seems like baiting to me. But, yes, I know, he did nothing illegal.

If this man was just walking down the street minding his own business while open carrying and these officers approached him asking him what he was doing and wanting his ID then this would not have been a valid stop.

But, this man was obviously seeking a LEO encounter and his aggressiveness earned him one.

I would also go so far as to speculate that without the video, this may have turned out completely different and not so good for the open carrier.

IMHO, not the best way to win over acceptance by law enforcement officers, legal or not.

MrGlock

imported post

Wow, that guy was asking for it. He walked up on a cop in the middle of a traffic stop, who wouldn't be annoyed or concerned? Yes, open carry is legal, but be prepared for unwanted attention when you APPROACH a cop with a gun.

Either way, the cop was WRONG in saying you need a license for open carry. Its moments like that when I despise LEO's in that they don't know d*ck about the laws that really count. I've had enough run-ins with them to know this. This guy is lucky he didn't get tazed when he walked up to the cop.

Now THAT would have been funny to see.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

I think he was "within the law" but walking up on a traffic stop with a piece is just asking to get whacked.

The intelligent thing to do (if he was REALLY concerned about the integrity of the traffic stop) was to film it from across the street and not walk up in the officers business distracting him.

Like the previous poster said, he does have balls. I was expecting something like you see on cops when he said he was leaving and just walked away.

awnuts

imported post

Not smart kinda like hey cop I got a gun! And as far as the ID issue you could see he was upsetting the two cops.Yea he was in the laws of state and he was calm but not smart.It doesnt pay to get cops upset especially if your a resident and they see you again.Next time they might get the guy for something.And make a point of doing so because they can.

M

mdgary

imported post

Wow he was really pushing his luck even though he did nothing wrong....I agree with some of you "he was kinda baiting the issue" and did'nt seem to remember the laws himself or what to say next...:what:

Slidell Jim

imported post

rscottie wrote:
1.Wow, he's got bigger cajones than I do. I expected a taser when he started to leave.

2. The only thing that I would question is his initial contact with the police. While it is totally legal to video tape, when there is not a confrontation or the officers behaving badly seems like baiting to me. But, yes, I know, he did nothing illegal.

But, this man was obviously seeking a LEO encounter and his aggressiveness earned him one.
4. I would also go so far as to speculate that without the video, this may have turned out completely different and not so good for the open carrier.
1. WOW ! all I can think is, he's got the market cornered on the cojones!

2. I questioned the initial contact also, he could have gotten the cops attention from across the street. Although he did follow the orders when asked to step back across the street. There is no way I would walk up on a blind side of a cop during a stop, even if it was my girlfriend/wife.

3. the cop should have just let it go, obviously he was seeking attention from the officer and the officer played right into it. So, why did the cop follow him? cause he was pissed and he let his anger get the better of him. The OC'er never made any aggressive move or said anything of concern to the officer, but he sure pushed the guys buttons. It almost seemed like he didn't notice the gun at the initial contact, and probably didn't. Once he did see the gun and asked him a few question, then he seemingly let the guy go on his way, followed him for several minutes, then citing "concerning officer safety" to confronted him again... the cop should have just let it go.

4. I agree about having video, it would have gone totally different, probably some tazer action and false allegations of brandishing, or assault or whatever the cop chose to make-up lies about. If we didn't have the video, what fun would that be.

Overall my biggest WOW is that IT"S UNBELIEVABLE they let him break contact and just walk away!! SIMPLY AMAZING !!!! I couldn't imagine in a hundred years that it would have worked. Again, without the camera, it wouldn't have worked.

mserr

imported post

the guy is from motorhome diaries. It's a group of guys who intentionally do this type of stuff all across the country just to see if their rights will be violated.

Also the guy had every right to walk away, that's why he kept asking if he was being detained and free to go, by law if you are being detained you have to be told, so by the cops not answering the question he had every right to just walk away like that.

codename_47

imported post

the guy is from motorhome diaries. It's a group of guys who intentionally do this type of stuff all across the country just to see if their rights will be violated.

and we are all better off for it. Kinda reminds me of freedom riders back in the 60's...

I just can't stand that "am I legally required to do X" stuff. Why even go there. If you know your rights, exercise them. You know you aren't legally required to show ID. Just say no.